Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 21:12
Fell apart from the meaning of the question itself,

Can someone plz explain where I am deviating ?

In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track competition is concentrated in a metal center, but now it is lined with lead around the perimeter,
thereby improving stability in flight and resulting in longer throws.

Everyone pouring in and saying that "now it is" incorrectly refer backs to "weight",but please suggest why it wrong .

In past: Weight of the discus used in ..... was concentrated in a metal center,but now "it=weight" is lined with lead around perimeter ,therby ..................

Plz advice !!!! How I am interpreting the meaning of the sentence wrongly!!

Rgds,
TGC!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 05:55
the only reason which makes E wrong is

" was designed and now lined" can not create "improving"

the meaning relation among 3 verbs is changed to distorted the meaning.

it take me a long time to realize this error.
INSEAD Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 98

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 23:12
I went with B instead of C, but i clearly see the pronoun missmatch. Didnt consider C as an option because according to a previous design sounded better than once design.....still a bit jittery when it comes to modifier explanation. Thanks everyone for such a wonderful discussion.

Cheers

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Cheers
Farhan

http://gmatfarhan.blogspot.in

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 467 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 08:20
Expert's post
Hi e-GMAT,
I've got a doubt -
Per the sentence, I thought the meaning should be the weight of discus in old design was concentrated at the center earlier and now the same (i.e the weight of discus NOT the discus itself) is lined with lead around the perimeter. The topic of discussion should be the weight (of discus) not merely the discus I guess.I don't see the second case scientifically wrong as it's a form of distributed load along the perimeter - this is very much possible.

Please help me where I got it wrong and why ONLY the 'discus' is considered instead of 'the weight of discus' in modern design?

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1226

Kudos [?]: 3356 [0], given: 181

Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 11:02
Expert's post
Hi there! Thanks for posting your doubt here, as requested. :-)

If we focus on the meaning of the sentence, note that it refers to something being lined with lead. Logically, ‘weight’ cannot be lined with anything since it is a quality of the discus. Only the discus itself can be lined with lead.

Secondly, options A and B start with modifiers that refer to ‘a previous design’. Again, the design can only be the design of the discus – the weight itself cannot have a design, since ‘weight’ is not a concrete object but a value.

I hope this helps! :-)

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 467 [0], given: 102

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2013, 03:52
Expert's post
egmat wrote:
Hi there! Thanks for posting your doubt here, as requested. :-)

If we focus on the meaning of the sentence, note that it refers to something being lined with lead. Logically, ‘weight’ cannot be lined with anything since it is a quality of the discus. Only the discus itself can be lined with lead.

Secondly, options A and B start with modifiers that refer to ‘a previous design’. Again, the design can only be the design of the discus – the weight itself cannot have a design, since ‘weight’ is not a concrete object but a value.

I hope this helps! :-)

Regards,
Meghna

Meghna,
I'm not able to understand why do you say that "‘weight’ cannot be lined with anything...", as here weight of the discuss is lined with lead around the perimeter means the weight of the discuss is distributed (load) along the perimeter - this is very much possible from the scientific view point. Right?

Second reason - I thought the modifier ‘a previous design’ refers to the entire following clause here. Please clarify.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1226

Kudos [?]: 3356 [0], given: 181

Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2013, 09:47
Expert's post
Hi there,

As mentioned in the previous explanation, 'weight' is an abstract quality of an object. It is not an object itself. If we say that the weight of the discus is 2 kilograms, we can't say that the 2 kilograms are lined with lead. It's the discus itself that is lined with lead.

As for the modifier, the design also logically has to refer to the discus, not the weight of the discus. The correct option makes this clear.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Re: In a previous design, the weight of the discus used in track   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2013, 09:47