Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a recent study examining the relationship between

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
In a recent study examining the relationship between [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 19:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (02:25) correct 47% (01:29) wrong based on 97 sessions
In a recent study examining the relationship between expectation and experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a “secret ingredient.” Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one.

Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for an explanation of the fact that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar?

(A) Most people actually prefer a cola beverage containing white vinegar.
(B) Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the “secret ingredient”.
(C) Researchers added only a small amount of vinegar to the cola.
(D) Study participants were selected based on their enjoyment of white vinegar.
(E) Most cola recipes contain no white vinegar.

Source: GMAT club test
Not enough discussions on old threads so posting the same
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 31

Re: In a recent study examining the relationship between [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:12
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
In a recent study examining the relationship between expectation and experience of flavor, researchers conducted a taste test with over 200 participants in which each person tasted two versions of a cola beverage, one of which they were told contained a “secret ingredient.” Because the secret ingredient was white vinegar, researchers were surprised when participants preferred the white vinegar version of the cola beverage by a margin of three to one.

Which of the following, if true, offers the best basis for an explanation of the fact that participants preferred the beverage containing white vinegar?
(B) Study participants focused on identifying the beverage with the “secret ingredient”.

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you kindly explain how option (in which way) B strengthens the argument.
Waiting eagerly for your valuable inputs. Regards, Fame

I know the OA is suppose to be (B), and it's clear that the other answers are all problematic in one way or another. I will say, though, this is not a satisfying question. Let's examine the world that would be true in (B).

The researchers told the subjects to focus on: which one had a secret ingredient? Let's assume subjects really were focused on that. When subjects would taste one, the normal one, it would fit their expectations. When they would taste the other, with white vinegar, presumably this one would be different from what they expected. So we know they would be trying to identify which one was different, and it's reasonable to assume that when they tasted the one with white vinegar, they had an experience different from what they were expecting. Granting all that, how do we conclude they they would like the experience of soda with white vinegar, preferring it to the normal soda? That seems to be a gigantic leap. I could easily imagine the subjects taking a swig of the altered soda and saying, "YUCK! I don't know why that one's so foul, but there's definitely something off about it." In other words, just because they were looking for something different, and just because they had an experience that did not meet their expectations, I see no basis for concluding with any confidence that they liked the altered soda or, even more so, that they would have preferred. Vastly unpleasant experiences can also result when one's expectations are not met.

Perhaps whoever wrote this question had in mind some assumptions from the psychology of perception, but a good CR question doesn't rely on outside knowledge. I have seriously doubts about this question.

Let me know if anyone would like to discuss this further.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 37

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a recent study examining the relationship between [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 09:20
Quote:
Perhaps whoever wrote this question had in mind some assumptions from the psychology of perception, but a good CR question doesn't rely on outside knowledge. I have seriously doubts about this question.

i totally endorse this point .in fact i find the verbal of gmat club test not a representative of gmat .some the SC are really flawed
Current Student
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 18

Re: In a recent study examining the relationship between [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 20:47
I had it narrowed down to A and B and REALLY wanted to pick A just because it stated outright that people actually prefer white vinegar in their cola, and if that is assumed to be true, how could it not be the answer? But it just seemed so crazy to me that A would be the answer just because it said it straight out like that. I agree with Mike, this question is pretty goofy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: In a recent study examining the relationship between [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2014, 01:23
mikemcgarry wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

fameatop wrote:
Hi Mike,
Can you kindly explain how option (in which way) B strengthens the argument.
Waiting eagerly for your valuable inputs. Regards, Fame

I know the OA is suppose to be (B), and it's clear that the other answers are all problematic in one way or another. I will say, though, this is not a satisfying question. Let's examine the world that would be true in (B).

The researchers told the subjects to focus on: which one had a secret ingredient? Let's assume subjects really were focused on that. When subjects would taste one, the normal one, it would fit their expectations. When they would taste the other, with white vinegar, presumably this one would be different from what they expected. So we know they would be trying to identify which one was different, and it's reasonable to assume that when they tasted the one with white vinegar, they had an experience different from what they were expecting. Granting all that, how do we conclude they they would like the experience of soda with white vinegar, preferring it to the normal soda? That seems to be a gigantic leap. I could easily imagine the subjects taking a swig of the altered soda and saying, "YUCK! I don't know why that one's so foul, but there's definitely something off about it." In other words, just because they were looking for something different, and just because they had an experience that did not meet their expectations, I see no basis for concluding with any confidence that they liked the altered soda or, even more so, that they would have preferred. Vastly unpleasant experiences can also result when one's expectations are not met.

Let me know if anyone would like to discuss this further.

Hi,

Since we have to make some kind of assumption here, can't we make the following:
This is a study that's accomplished. This means that the people taken are representative of the general population.
If most of the population like vinegar in the cola, isn't it logical that this is the reason we got the results we got?
Re: In a recent study examining the relationship between   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2014, 01:23