Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States, 8 out

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 282

In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States, 8 out [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 20:53
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:37) correct 26% (02:07) wrong based on 113 sessions
In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States, 8 out of 10 shoppers said that they notice “Made in the USA” tags on products and most of those shoppers claim that they are more likely to purchase a product after noticing this tag. These shoppers further stated that the primary reason they are more likely to buy these products is because they wish to support the US economy.

Which of the following does most to show that the shoppers mentioned in the argument may have in fact be lying about why they purchase products with ‘Made in America’ labels?

(A) There is no difference in the quality of products manufactured in USA and those manufactured abroad
(B) The products that these shoppers said they would purchase include food, medicine, and personal items – products for the purchase of which quality and safety are the overriding considerations and in general products made in the USA are perceived to be safer than those made outside the USA
(C) Some customers purchase products with the “Made in USA” tag because they find the quality of these products to be better than those manufactured in other countries
(D) The products that are made in America in most cases cost significantly more than those manufactured abroad
(E) A large proportion of shoppers, who were not part of this survey, stated that when they buy a product they do not look at its country of manufacture
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2621 [1] , given: 696

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 02:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stay away from that material. really

me too for a period I was using this material but after a while I notice that is not good (different sources said the same thing).

Infact B do not say WHY the customers lie.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 21:18
rajathpanta wrote:
In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States, 8 out of 10 shoppers said that they notice “Made in the USA” tags on products and most of those shoppers claim that they are more likely to purchase a product after noticing this tag. These shoppers further stated that the primary reason they are more likely to buy these products is because they wish to support the US economy.

Which of the following does most to show that the shoppers mentioned in the argument may have in fact be lying about why they purchase products with ‘Made in America’ labels?

(A) There is no difference in the quality of products manufactured in USA and those manufactured abroad
(B) The products that these shoppers said they would purchase include food, medicine, and personal items – products for the purchase of which quality and safety are the overriding considerations and in general products made in the USA are perceived to be safer than those made outside the USA
(C) Some customers purchase products with the “Made in USA” tag because they find the quality of these products to be better than those manufactured in other countries
(D) The products that are made in America in most cases cost significantly more than those manufactured abroad
(E) A large proportion of shoppers, who were not part of this survey, stated that when they buy a product they do not look at its country of manufacture

Strange question.
I have serious doubt about all the options given. Ans is given as B - but even B doesnt show 'at all' that the shoppes may have been "lying". None of these options could show that shoppers may have lied. For example probably an option stating "same shoppers buy other products not made in USA because these products are cheaper compared to made in usa products" would have helped to show that these shoppers may have been lying, but definitely not any one of the given 5.
What is the source of this question?

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2012, 23:07
What is the difference between B and C i think they are just rephrase.
IMO C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 07:55
Archit143 wrote:
What is the difference between B and C i think they are just rephrase.
IMO C

Can I ask what the source of this question is? I really think this is poorly written. I fail to see how quality = people lying about them purchasing due to the economy. Maybe it's higher quality AND they want to support the economy. On the first read through, I eliminated "quality" answers because they were out of scope. Also, what's the diff between B and C, honestly? I picked C because I thought B might be out of scope, but they seem so similar.

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2012, 08:16
Guys this is from Aristotle CR. Will give the explanation after some discussion. Please hold on!

Thanks.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 02:07
The official explanation is as below,-

A. This would ideally strengthen the argument and not weaken it. If the quality of the products is the same and shoppers are still buying those manufactured in USA, then they could be doing so to help the economy
B. The correct answer
C. While this option may appear similar to B, it is in fact only taking about some customers. So some other customers could still be buying the products to help the economy
D. This could again strengthen the argument
E. Shoppers who were not part of this survey are outside the scope of the argument

Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 11:50
Part of Premise :most of those shoppers claim that they are more likely to purchase a product after noticing this tag

Agreed B and c are contenders but B wins
since C mentions " Some customers purchase products with the “Made in USA” tag because they find the quality of these products to be better than those manufactured in other countries "

This is most subtle move "Most " to " Some" went unnoticed.

B is the correct answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 82

Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 11:55
rajathpanta wrote:

(A) There is no difference in the quality of products manufactured in USA and those manufactured abroad..

Yupiee i got rite ans B..

A...not strenthen not weaken..
C..i agree C is weaken..bt SOME CUSTOMERS..may b many does not??
D..it is strenthen the conclusion..if american products are expansive and stil they r purchsing those american products then they r purchasing because they want to push up american GDP or economic growth..
E....out of scope..we r only concern with ppl who r in survey..

B saying..if the products are safe?? this is the reason customers are purchasing MADE IN USA products rather than then push up or stimulate economy..thats y this choice is the ans..!!

Hope it Helps

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States, 8 out [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 00:24
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In a recent survey of shoppers in the United States, 8 out   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2013, 00:24