Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a referendum on July 16 this year, the voters of Maryland

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a referendum on July 16 this year, the voters of Maryland [#permalink] New post 26 May 2005, 13:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In a referendum on July 16 this year, the voters of Maryland State approved a $ 690 million bond issue for the construction of a state highway, an obvious priority. The legislature has now voted to put five more general obligation bond issues on the December ballot, adding another $ 2.1 billion to the state's long-term debt. The proposals on the December agenda include $ 350 million for the installation of a new telecom system, $ 200 million to subsidize low-interest mortgages for first-time home buyers, $ 500 million for setting up a state-owned recycling plant for environmental protection, $ 570 million to extend the fruit-farmers crop-loan program, and $ 485 million for the construction of a state prison, long since overdue. Which of the following statements is a point to which the author is most probably leading?

(A) The voters cannot be expected to help make financial decisions for the state because most voters have their own set of financial worries.
(B) The cost of these bond issues is a burden that the tax-payers of the state have to bear.
(C) Two of these five bond issues are certainly more important than the others.
(D) The five bond proposals are quite enough, and between now and December voters will have to study the proposals carefully to make sure that the government is not over-stretching its finances.
(E) The cost of these bond issues is, on the face of it, negligible.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Referendum [#permalink] New post 26 May 2005, 17:21
is not it clear D?
(D) The five bond proposals are quite enough, and between now and December voters will have to study the proposals carefully to make sure that the government is not over-stretching its finances.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 May 2005, 20:00
nope imo,

I think B.
The author mentioned 5 issues because they were major ones.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 01:26
B it is..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 02:55
OA please....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 05:08
I will go with E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 06:04
B it is. Time 3:13

GA
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 14:13
rthothad wrote:
I will go with E

Why?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 17:09
Hmmm. I kind of agree with HIMALAYA. The author seems to imply that although some projects are important, but it is likely that the government might be over-stretching its finances ...

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 May 2005, 20:38
As my options boiled down to B/E. I am little confused with either one. I think that during exam My Answer cud have gone either way but after re-reading carefully I think the answer should be E,

Because of the sentences:

adding another $ 2.1 billion to the state's long-term debt

well Author doesn't talk about any other option but these highlighted words leads either to B or E. But I Pick E because 690 is greater than any other mentioned number. :lol:
I know that sounds stupid but :roll:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 01:55
IMO its E)...because all the issues seem to be very important and seem to present basic necessities for a state. so at first the costs are not so important, because its about the issues and the positive effects of them. the importance is stressed by "an obvious priority" and "long since overdue". so the costs in relation to the positive effects are negligible.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 02:54
christoph wrote:
IMO its E)...because all the issues seem to be very important and seem to present basic necessities for a state. so at first the costs are not so important, because its about the issues and the positive effects of them. the importance is stressed by "an obvious priority" and "long since overdue". so the costs in relation to the positive effects are negligible.

I vote for B
E - well if it indeed a negligible amount, the phrase 'adding to the long term debt' would not have found a mention, and he would tag the costs of each of the proposals.

D-here, I case he was indeed leading the voters to ponder, he would not be very hasty while certifying certains proposals as 'overdue' etc.There is not a single 'open ended question' in the passage, which clearly suggests that there is no scope for further study/evaluation ( an assumption is needed here too: the gov will provide necessary data for voters to make a decesion)

Hence,would go with B.

HMTG>
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 05:10
I believe the choice is either (B) or (D).

I liked (B) more than (D).

Even if we assume that an external investor comes in and funds some of the projects the tax payers will eventually have to pitch in and help contribute towards the expenses of other projects.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: CR : Referendum [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 07:34
jpv wrote:
Which of the following statements is a point to which the author is most probably leading?

(B) The cost of these bond issues is a burden that the tax-payers of the state have to bear.
(C) Two of these five bond issues are certainly more important than the others.
(E) The cost of these bond issues is, on the face of it, negligible.

IMO it's (D), by process of elimination.

Not B: the taxpayers do not have to bear the costs, literally. These are proposals that might be rejected by voters in the coming referendum. And to address a slightly different meaning of the phrase, I see nothing in the passage that suggests the author is about to insist that voters "must" approve ALL of the issues. Note that of the 5 proposals, one is decribed as overdue, but no emphasis is placed on the other 4. For the GMAT test-taker to describe any of these proposals as obviously important shows the kind of personal opinion that will cause you to read too much into a passage and miss questions. Beware.

Not C: The passage desribes only ONE of the 5 proposals that are still to be voted on as "long overdue". No preference is shown for the others.

Not E: Not only is there no reason to think the author would dismiss the costs as "negligible", he makes sure to point out that the bonds would add billions of dollars to state debt -- in fact "another 2.1 billion", which implies the state is already carrying debt, and is adding to it. Easy to conclude the author might be getting worried about state finances, to point all that out. Plus, I think it only empasizes the costs, to spell out all of the specific prices tags, as the passage does.

With (D) -- while you can't prove the author was definitely leading to a statement that the 5 proposals are "quite enough", it seems a reasonable continuation, considering that money does not grow on trees. And you can't argue with the utterly neutral statement that voters will have to study the proposals carefully (one would hope so...)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 May 2005, 21:35
wooo, what a great explanation, Supercat, thank you very much.

I pick D too, besides reasons stated by supercat, i also feel the tone of the author is describing a situation, not criticizing the issue, so B doesn't seem right to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2005, 07:04
I have been toggling b/w B and D.

ACE seem to be out of scope.

The passage doesn't mention taxpayers anywhere so I am more inclinced to go with D.

ash

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2005, 18:15
jpv,

do you have OA/OE for this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR : Referendum [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 04:12
IMO the answer is D, from the bolded words in the statement, the obvious priority has been approved and general obligation need to tbe studies to see what all can be approved...

In a referendum on July 16 this year, the voters of Maryland State approved a $ 690 million bond issue for the construction of a state highway, an obvious priority. The legislature has now voted to put five more general obligation bond issues on the December ballot, adding another $ 2.1 billion to the state's long-term debt.

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 16:53
HIMALAYA wrote:
jpv,

do you have OA/OE for this?

I am sorry I forgot to post OA for this question. It is (D).
No OE available.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2005, 17:05
It had to be D
  [#permalink] 07 Aug 2005, 17:05