Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction ,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 109
Location: United Kingdom
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 34

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:15
tuanquang269 wrote:
shekharvineet wrote:
Definitely D.
(A) it is true but fails to capture the main point of the argument. Moreover, nowhere in the passage it is mentioned that these are important beneits. Only that these benefits were included in the survey. There could be other benefits as well which may result in greter employee satisfaction.
(B) Out of scope. Nowhere it is mentioned in the stimulus. A Shell Game answer. Plays on the profitability part mentioned in the stimulus. It may be the case that high satisfaction level can result in high profitability but since it is not mentioned in the stimulus, we cannot conclude it is the right answer.
(C) Out of scope. Noting is mentioned about the companies without daycare and flexible schedule. New Inormation answer.
(D) The best answer simply because it supports the stimulus. Employee satisfaction is related to low employee turnover or low departure rate. Moreover it is mentioned in the stimulus.
(E) New Information. Wrong


Thanks, turnover rate definitely prove answer D is correct. I was deceived by this question when choosing D :shock:



I'm afraid I disagree with the OA and explaination above.

Firstly, answer D says that at least 95% of employees will stay if daycare benifits are offered. However the stimulus says that this is true of employees of companies that offer daycare benefits AND flexible scheduling. Therefore you cannot say that 95% of employees will stay unless both these conditions are met.

Secondly, I think that a lot of people discounted A because it is not the main thrust of the argument. Whether A is the main point or not is not important. The question asked what is conclussion that can be drawn from the stimulus, or in other words, which statement is the only statement that is a) directly supported by the stimulus and b) contains no additional information other than that stated in the stimulus. If you agree with my logic then A is correct under the following flow of logic:

1. The argument says that the companies surveyed have flexible schedules and daycare benefits. No other factors are mentioned, other than the companies have $100m revenues. I'll admit that you could argue that this could possibly acount for the increased satisfaction, but the argument doesn't discuss this any further.

2. The employees of these benefit enriched companies enjoy higher levels of satisfation.

3. Flexible schedules and daycare benefits lead to improved employee satisfaction.

Therefore I think A should be the correct answer.

IMHO this isn't a well phrased question. I kinda get the logic of each answer and what the 'trap' is for the incorrect ones (other than A), but there cannot be more than one possible correct answer and the correct answer must be absolutely correct in all cases.

Just my 2 cents....

Skientist

_________________

In the study cave!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: getting ready..
Joined: 17 Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Location: Czech Republic
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Went with B but it is D)
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare.

At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

The word SOME is the key... answer D is so unspecified that it can be true.

_________________

Milo
--------
Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get.
Kroc, Ray

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 May 2012
Posts: 109
Location: United Kingdom
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 34

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:42
Minderbinder88 wrote:
Went with B but it is D)
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare.

At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

The word SOME is the key... answer D is so unspecified that it can be true.


I like your reasoning and I think you're 99% correct, but to distinguish daycare benefits from any other element of the argument (namely flexible benefits) is to assume that daycare accounts for some of the reason that 95% of the staff choose to stay with their employer. It could be that daycare is a benefit that no one cares much about, but everyone loves flexible scheduling. To distinguish the two is to introduce an assumption.

I think you’re probably right with what the question writer is trying to ask, but I still don’t think you can discount A because if you accept D and the associated assumption necessary to make it true, then you could also accept A with the same type of assumption (by disconnecting the benefits from the fact that the companies achieve a $110m revenue).

Do we have a GMAT Club CR expert who can comment?

_________________

In the study cave!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 04:21
I will go with 'D'. The last line of the paragraph says that "employee departure at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period" .This means that at least 95% employee will surely stay for at least one year. This fact can be attributed to the daycare benefits and flexible schedules provided by the companies.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 34
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.74
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 19

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 23:05
shekharvineet wrote:
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare. The investigators found that overall satisfaction levels at the companies were high, that the companies enjoyed profit margins averaging over 20% over the last five years, and that the rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period.

Which of the following conclusions may be drawn from the information above?

(A) Flexible schedules and daycare are important benefits for raising overall levels of employee satisfaction.
(B) High profitability levels for companies with revenues over $100 million are most likely the result of high employee satisfaction levels.
(C) Companies without daycare and flexible-schedule benefits have higher rates of employee departures than do those with these benefits.
(D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.
(E) More companies have recently begun offering daycare and flexible schedule benefits to attract potential employees who are also parents.

Definitely D.
(A) it is true but fails to capture the main point of the argument. Moreover, nowhere in the passage it is mentioned that these are important beneits. Only that these benefits were included in the survey. There could be other benefits as well which may result in greter employee satisfaction.
(B) Out of scope. Nowhere it is mentioned in the stimulus. A Shell Game answer. Plays on the profitability part mentioned in the stimulus. It may be the case that high satisfaction level can result in high profitability but since it is not mentioned in the stimulus, we cannot conclude it is the right answer.
(C) Out of scope. Noting is mentioned about the companies without daycare and flexible schedule. New Inormation answer.
(D) The best answer simply because it supports the stimulus. Employee satisfaction is related to low employee turnover or low departure rate. Moreover it is mentioned in the stimulus.
(E) New Information. Wrong



I chose A because I wasn't sure what companies option D was referring to - the question refers to 8 specific companies with revenues in excess of $100M.
Once I got stuck with this I looked for a RIGHT answer in the remaining options (B,C and E are quite obviously out-of-scope / cannot be inferred) and therefore chose A.

In retrospect, A -> goes beyond the scope of the argument because it says the benefits are IMPORTANT to RAISE overall levels of satisfaction. This is clearly beyond the scope of the argument. if A said "Flexible schedules and daycare are factors relevant to gauge employee satisfaction" then it would have been a great option.

D-> this option wins because of the language. AT LEAST one year in SOME companies (it's not important that it doesn't clarify which companies because it says SOME companies - which may include the 8 companies relevant in the survey mentioned - i.e. the surveyed companies are a subset of the companies spoken about in this answer choice)

Take-away for inference questions: 1. Work from wrong to right and don't force your mind to look for RIGHT answers, train it to spot MORE WRONG answers (applicable to all CR) 2. Inference questions - answer choices tend to be broad/safe and not extreme.

Enjoyed the question!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 174
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 84

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 07:14
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare. The investigators found that overall satisfaction levels at the companies were high, that the companies enjoyed profit margins averaging over 20% over the last five years, and that the rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period.

Which of the following conclusions may be drawn from the information above?

(A) Flexible schedules and daycare are important benefits for raising overall levels of employee satisfaction.
(B) High profitability levels for companies with revenues over $100 million are most likely the result of high employee satisfaction levels.
(C) Companies without daycare and flexible-schedule benefits have higher rates of employee departures than do those with these benefits.
(D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.
(E) More companies have recently begun offering daycare and flexible schedule benefits to attract potential employees who are also parents.



I guess it should be B. The option D correlate with departure rate with some companies; guess some companies does include only 8 companies? At the same time the Premise of the passage condor two important points customer satisfaction and Profitability. As we all aware of the basic CR Passage construction, B should be the conclusion.
I hope it Helps

I will suggest for an expert post on this Q. Please GMAT -Club ; give your expert post.

Thanks

_________________

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I am back!!!
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 137
Location: India
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 11:01
D it is.

At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

Since the rate of departure varies between 1% and 5%. It can be inferred that at least 95% of the employees stay for at least one year in companies with day care.
Rest of the choices are out of scope.

_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 174
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 84

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 16:58
cssk wrote:
D it is.

At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

Since the rate of departure varies between 1% and 5%. It can be inferred that at least 95% of the employees stay for at least one year in companies with day care.
Rest of the choices are out of scope.


What; its other way of saying the 5% departure rate. its not inference!
If think in the above to infer; then i can make inference ;
1. the 95% empl stays in company with 100 million revenue
2. the 95% empl stays in company with high employee satisfaction
3. the 95% empl stays in company with Flexi -schedules

To be specific you need to grasp the main theme of passage.

:lol:

_________________

Thanks for Posting

LEARN TO ANALYSE

+1 kudos if you like

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 9
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Tuck '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 22:48
No cause and effect statement are there in the premise . No use of word such as "so" , or "because". Only different facts of the study are stated. now, how to draw conclusion from the same.
In such situation always look for numbers.
example
fact
95% students are present in class

simple conclusion conclusion:
1)5% are not present

similarly, alternative conclusion could be

2) at-least 2% are present or 3) more then 1 in out of every 21 people absent

same logic is used in the questions.

questions has figure of 95%. This figure gives us prompt to correlate the same with 5% in option 4.

all other option either are "real world scenario" or try to establish co- relation which are not stated or intended in the argument.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I am back!!!
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 137
Location: India
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 00:43
rango wrote:
cssk wrote:
D it is.

At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

Since the rate of departure varies between 1% and 5%. It can be inferred that at least 95% of the employees stay for at least one year in companies with day care.
Rest of the choices are out of scope.


What; its other way of saying the 5% departure rate. its not inference!
If think in the above to infer; then i can make inference ;
1. the 95% empl stays in company with 100 million revenue
2. the 95% empl stays in company with high employee satisfaction
3. the 95% empl stays in company with Flexi -schedules

To be specific you need to grasp the main theme of passage.

:lol:

Let me correct here. It is not an inference but a rephrase of premise in the stimulus.

_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 13:01
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare. The investigators found that overall satisfaction levels at the companies were high, that the companies enjoyed profit margins averaging over 20% over the last five years, and that the rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period.

Which of the following conclusions may be drawn from the information above?

(A) Flexible schedules and daycare are important benefits for raising overall levels of employee satisfaction.
(B) High profitability levels for companies with revenues over $100 million are most likely the result of high employee satisfaction levels.
(C) Companies without daycare and flexible-schedule benefits have higher rates of employee departures than do those with these benefits.
(D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.
(E) More companies have recently begun offering daycare and flexible schedule benefits to attract potential employees who are also parents.


A? not comfortable because it is no where mentioned that those benefits 'raised' employee satisfaction levels!
B? not comfortable because of 2 reasons. Can 20% be called high? Is profitability reason for employee satisfaction or employee satisfaction reason for profitability?
C? We did not talk about companies without these benefits!
D? Is the 1-5% departure because of day care benefits or some other bigger benefits such as flexible schedules? The little departure rate can be because of employee satisfaction which could be caused by other benefits. Same reason we omitted B. We cannot give the low employee departure credit to daycare benefits alone! For example, imagine yourself in this scenario, 15% people want to leave from company with no benefits. Including daycare services, 3% would back off from leaving. Now the company announces, come whenever you want and other benefits (higher bonuses and family vacation every year) the employees will be more satisfied and another 7% don't want to leave. Remaining 3% still wants to leave for whatever reason (be closer to their family). So in this case how can you say that lower employee departure is because of daycare benefits? Moreover, "varied between 1 and 5% over the period" means per fiscal year or per half year or per quarter? My company discusses these on per quarter basis. So including "per year" in answer choice makes it worse than B
E? Other companies are not in discussion.

So :help2 I am lost :madd
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 147
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 13:03
cssk wrote:
Let me correct here. It is not an inference but a rephrase of premise in the stimulus.

You are one of those who went with 'D'. Can you answer my questions raised above related to 'D', please?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I am back!!!
Joined: 09 Apr 2013
Posts: 137
Location: India
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 05:53
Amateur wrote:

A? not comfortable because it is no where mentioned that those benefits 'raised' employee satisfaction levels!
B? not comfortable because of 2 reasons. Can 20% be called high? Is profitability reason for employee satisfaction or employee satisfaction reason for profitability?
C? We did not talk about companies without these benefits!
D? Is the 1-5% departure because of day care benefits or some other bigger benefits such as flexible schedules? The little departure rate can be because of employee satisfaction which could be caused by other benefits. Same reason we omitted B. We cannot give the low employee departure credit to daycare benefits alone! For example, imagine yourself in this scenario, 15% people want to leave from company with no benefits. Including daycare services, 3% would back off from leaving. Now the company announces, come whenever you want and other benefits (higher bonuses and family vacation every year) the employees will be more satisfied and another 7% don't want to leave. Remaining 3% still wants to leave for whatever reason (be closer to their family). So in this case how can you say that lower employee departure is because of daycare benefits? Moreover, "varied between 1 and 5% over the period" means per fiscal year or per half year or per quarter? My company discusses these on per quarter basis. So including "per year" in answer choice makes it worse than B
E? Other companies are not in discussion.

So :help2 I am lost :madd


Hi Amateur

I would like to answer the question you asked regarding choice D.

First of all, the author addresses a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction levels by investigating eight companies that provide flexible schedules and on-site daycare benefits.
Results of the study are that 1) overall satisfaction levels at the companies were high, 2) the companies enjoyed profit margins averaging over 20% over the last five years, and 3) the rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period.

Clearly, the investigators are directly attributing these results to the benefits companies are offering to their employees. If you can observe third finding of the study, the rate of employee departure varies between 1% and 5% in those companies. Generally and as per my knowledge, most companies estimate the rate of departures every year and so it is fair enough to use the phrase "employees stay for at least one year" in choice D. I hope I answered second part of your question.

Regarding the first part of your question, the conclusion drawn in choice D is not emphasizing over the kind of benefits that helped companies retain employees but rather implies that 95% of employees will stay for at least one year (Rephrasing one of the observations from the study : rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period) at SOME companies with daycare benefits(It does not mean that only companies with daycare benefits enjoy low rates of departures). It is ok to conclude that SOME of the companies with day care benefits have low rates of departures based on the information given in the stimulus. Always make sure that the information given in the answer choice is directly drawn from the stimulus without making any additional assumptions.

Hope I helped u. Thanks.

_________________

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction ,   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2013, 05:53
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Stanford, Synonymous with Satisfaction BlogBot 0 23 Apr 2014, 20:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic Stanford, Synonymous with Satisfaction StacyBlackman 0 19 Apr 2014, 15:51
Experts publish their posts in the topic According to our studies, most employees in the retail vipin7um 3 10 Apr 2013, 05:48
1 Studying regularly is one factor that has been shown to joshnsit 6 24 Feb 2012, 13:32
1 Satisfaction - 770 (Q 50, V 45) AJB77 31 19 Aug 2005, 07:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction ,

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 53 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.