Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction ,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [3] , given: 0

In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:31) correct 60% (01:33) wrong based on 661 sessions
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare. The investigators found that overall satisfaction levels at the companies were high, that the companies enjoyed profit margins averaging over 20% over the last five years, and that the rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period.

Which of the following conclusions may be drawn from the information above?

(A) Flexible schedules and daycare are important benefits for raising overall levels of employee satisfaction.
(B) High profitability levels for companies with revenues over $100 million are most likely the result of high employee satisfaction levels.
(C) Companies without daycare and flexible-schedule benefits have higher rates of employee departures than do those with these benefits.
(D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.
(E) More companies have recently begun offering daycare and flexible schedule benefits to attract potential employees who are also parents.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [3] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
MamtaKrishnia wrote:
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare. The investigators found that overall satisfaction levels at the companies were high, that the companies enjoyed profit margins averaging over 20% over the last five years, and that the rates of employee departures at these companies had varied between 1% and 5% over this period.

(A) Flexible schedules and daycare are important benefits for raising overall levels of employee satisfaction.
(B) High profitability levels for companies with revenues over $100 million are most likely the result of high employee satisfaction levels.
(C) Companies without daycare and flexible-schedule benefits have higher rates of employee departures than do those with these benefits.
(D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.
(E) More companies have recently begun offering daycare and flexible schedule benefits to attract potential employees who are also parents.

Definitely D.
(A) it is true but fails to capture the main point of the argument. Moreover, nowhere in the passage it is mentioned that these are important beneits. Only that these benefits were included in the survey. There could be other benefits as well which may result in greter employee satisfaction.
(B) Out of scope. Nowhere it is mentioned in the stimulus. A Shell Game answer. Plays on the profitability part mentioned in the stimulus. It may be the case that high satisfaction level can result in high profitability but since it is not mentioned in the stimulus, we cannot conclude it is the right answer.
(C) Out of scope. Noting is mentioned about the companies without daycare and flexible schedule. New Inormation answer.
(D) The best answer simply because it supports the stimulus. Employee satisfaction is related to low employee turnover or low departure rate. Moreover it is mentioned in the stimulus.
(E) New Information. Wrong
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
durgesh79 wrote:
i think its D.

it it was an "infer" question then B would have been a good choice, but since we have to find a concusion, only D can be proved right

Isn't infer and find the conclusion the same in this case?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 18:07
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D

A:The argument doesn't state that what factors raise employee satisfaction. ---Wrong
B:Same as A ---Wrong
C:The argument nowhere talks about companies that do not have these facilities, so no conclusion can be drawn about them.
D:May be true---seen statistically
E:Not implied.

By POE ...i should be D
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
i am not comfortable with D :

it talk about statistics , fine but its taking only one factor in consideration i.e day care ; how about other benefits ?

the stimulus says that flexible schedules and day care were among the benefits provided by all the companies in the survey

i dnt think D can be drawn :(

A makes more sense to me (rest all B,C,E are out of scope )
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 42

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2012, 04:06
This post received
KUDOS
MamtaKrishnia wrote:

cant be said for sure. the investigators have polled staff of certain companies which fulfil certain criterias(daycare,flexitime) and poll results are mentioned(low attrition,high satisfaction). nowhere has it been mentioned that high satisfaction is because of daycare and flexi schedules.
same as A. there is no mention of any corelation between employee satisfaction and high profitability.
Companies without daycare and flexi schedules are not discussed in the passage, so no conclusion about them can be drawn
yes, it is mentioned in the passage that for last 5 years, maximum employee departure rate has been 5%, but is this fact enough to conclude that in future the rate will not exceed? is daycare benefit the sole reason preventing people from leaving these companies? i dont see the answers for these questions in the passage
its like saying the market will fall tomorrow because it has been falling for last 5 days.

not mentioned.

IF D is correct answer then A and B also come equally close.
not a very good question imo
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
Went with B but it is D)
In a study of factors affecting employee satisfaction , investigators polled staff at eight companies with over $100 million in revenues and benefits including flexible schedules and on-site daycare.

At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

The word SOME is the key... answer D is so unspecified that it can be true.

Milo
--------
Luck is a dividend of sweat. The more you sweat, the luckier you get.
Kroc, Ray

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 09:06
MamtaKrishnia wrote:

A)Flexible schedules and daycare are imprtant benefits for raising overall levels of employee satisfaction.
B) High profitability levels for companies with revenues over $100 million are most likely the result of high employee satisfaction levels.
C) Companies without daycare and flexibe-schedule benefits have higher rates of employee departures than do those with these benefits.
D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.
E) More companies have recently begun offering daycare and flexible schedule benefits to attract potential employees who are also parents.

A) Can be drawn
B) Can be drawn
C) Out of place
D) Out of place
E) Out of place

Since investigators found out profitability and revenue and employee satisfaction I will go with B)
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 16:18
D)
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 22:05
IMO B

A: May be true but also need to consider revenue and company profit
B: revnue +100 million & high profit -> satisfacition
C: too extreme to conclude
D: 95% will stay -> what’s about other factors!!
E: Irrelevant

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 02:35
IMO B
I used Poe and settled for A and B. A talks of health care and flexischedules. It maybe that high performing employees are offered such benefits as high performing firms are expected to have lots of them. A also uses strong language with are. My reasons to reject A. B is perfect especially for the moderate language it uses. D talks of employees. Which employees is he talking of all employees in general. thats why i dropped D
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 03:06
i think its D.

it it was an "infer" question then B would have been a good choice, but since we have to find a concusion, only D can be proved right
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 04:02
A,C and E - wrong. Between B and D. I don't think that we could say that there is any connection between satisfaction and profit. D is 100% true. I'm with D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 05:35
What's the OA ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 08:13
durgesh79 wrote:
i think its D.

I dont see a line where it talks about company employee leaving statistics and day care
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 08:29
nmohindru wrote:
durgesh79 wrote:
i think its D.

I dont see a line where it talks about company employee leaving statistics and day care

all the companies inlcuded in poll were with flexi schedule and daycare - line 1
employee departure rate at these companies was between 1% to 5% - last line
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2008, 12:17
maximus wrote:
What's the OA ???

The OA is 'D.'

http://www.urch.com/forums/491991-post12.html
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 10:25
Good one!

Close tie between A and B. Since the argument is about “factors affecting employee satisfaction”, A wins
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2008, 21:10
D) At least 95% of employees will stay for at least one year at some companies with daycare benefits.

this is what D says Does employees here refer to employees only in the 8 companies referred to in the argument. I assumed it to be all the employees including ones not part of the survey. Please clear my confusion.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR -employee satisfaction [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 09:13
D
Re: CR -employee satisfaction   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2010, 09:13