Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 07:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:19) correct 34% (01:37) wrong based on 240 sessions
In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 factory workers were moved from their drab workroom to brightly colored workroom. Both these workers and the 50 who remained in the drab workroom increased their productivity, probably as a result of the interest taken by the researchers in the work of both groups during the study.

Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt upon the author's interpretation of the study results given above?

A) The 50 workers moved to the brightly colored room performed precisely the same manufacturing task as the workers who remained in the drab workroom.

B) The drab workroom was designed to provide adequate space for at most 65 workers.

C) the 50 workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom were matched as closely as possible in age and level of training to the 50 workeres who remained in the drab workroom.

D) Nearly all the workers in both groups as volunteered to move to the brightly colored workroom.

E) Many of the workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom as well as or better than they liked the brightly colored workroom.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 08:18
The answer options are fraught with typos, ambiguity, etc.

Nevertheless B sounds best, since it gives an alternative reasoning for tr increase in productivity by those who remained in drab location, videlicet: more spacious working environment.

Cheers.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 18:06
Choice B makes sense as the weakening the interpretation of the result from the experiment above. Due to the overcrowding among the workers, 100 workers cannot take the tasks productively in the room that have standard space limit to 65 persons.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 10

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 19:27
Hi tuanquang269

But the author of the argument calls researcher's work into question, i.e. brightly colored room was not the cause for increased productivity but the researchers work. since the workers were aware of "effect of color" research- workers who worked in drab room too increased their productivity. please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 19:52
prakash111687 wrote:
Hi tuanquang269

But the author of the argument calls researcher's work into question, i.e. brightly colored room was not the cause for increased productivity but the researchers work. since the workers were aware of "effect of color" research- workers who worked in drab room too increased their productivity. please correct me if my reasoning is wrong.

The conclusion of the argument:
Both two groups of workers increased their productivity (A) because (B) the interest of each group in color
(B) => (A)

My reasoning means two both groups are not affected by color but by the wider space (C) they worked in. Therefore, (C) => (A).

The factor (B) is wrong. So, what happens with the researchers? Their interpretation (The workers were aware of "effects of color" as you mentioned) did not work.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 166

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 20:19
tuanquang269 wrote:
prakash111687 wrote:
Hi tuanquang269

Both two groups of workers increased their productivity (A) because (B) the interest of each group in color
(B) => (A)
Is this mentioned ? I am not able to interpret the conclusion in this way . Please explain

My reasoning means two both groups are not affected by color but by the wider space (C) they worked in. Therefore, (C) => (A).
But as per the option , only the The drab workroom was designed for morespace, not the brighly coloured workroom

The factor (B) is wrong. So, what happens with the researchers? Their interpretation (The workers were aware of "effects of color" as you mentioned) did not work.
As per thr stimulus , did the researchers interpret that the workers were aware of the effects of color ? Please explain a bit more

Could you please clarify in a bit more details ?

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 21:30
B it is. I was confused between author and researcher in the beginning!

researcher => Both bright and 50 who remained increased productivity
author => Increased productivity is because of researchers interest.

Weaken author => It is not because of researchers interest but by something else or, researcher interest is faulty.

B => only 65 capacity (initially 100 were there so they were not productive) now only 50 => enough to work hence increased productivity.

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 23:01
(B) => (A)
Is this mentioned ? I am not able to interpret the conclusion in this way . Please explain The argument mention this interest is taken by researchers. This does not mean the INTEREST OF RESEARCHERS. Remember it!!

But as per the option , only the The drab workroom was designed for morespace, not the brighly coloured workroom
Yes, you are right. This answer did not mention the brightly colored workroom. However, if we just weaken the reasoning that one room is affected by color (the group in drab workroom), we attack the argument's reasoning. That's enough. How can you reason one of group is affected by color to increase its productivity => Conclude: Both two groups increase their productivity by the color.

As per thr stimulus , did the researchers interpret that the workers were aware of the effects of color ? Please explain a bit more
Yes, the researchers did. However, "the workers were aware of the effects of color" is mentioned by "prakash111687".

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 166

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 factory workers were moved from their drab workroom to brightly colored workroom. Both these workers and the 50 who remained in the drab workroom increased their productivity, probably as a result of the interest taken by the researchers in the work of both groups during the study.
Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt upon the author's interpretation of the study results given above?

EFFECT : Both 50 workers in brightly colored workroom and the 50 who remained in the drab workroom increased their productivity
CAUSE: Probably as a result of the interest taken by the researchers in the work of both groups during the study.

For weakening such causal relations like this , check for any of the following in the answers :
1) Find an alternate cause of the stated effect
2)Show that even when the cause occurs, the effect doesn't ccur
3)Show that although the effect occurs, the cause did not occur
4)Show that the stated relationship is reversed
5)Show that a statistical problem exists with the data used to make the causal statement

A) The 50 workers moved to the brightly colored room performed precisely the same manufacturing task as the workers who remained in the drab workroom.
This answer choice points out similarity (rather than dissimilarity) between the working conditions of both the groups.Hence in one way, it stregthens that the interest of the researchers can be the cause of the increased productivity, as the working conditions were same for both the groups.
B) The drab workroom was designed to provide adequate space for at most 65 workers.
Here we find an alternate cause that might have increased the productivity of the drab room workers. The space was more there. Hence, even if the drab room workers saw the colours, the extra space made them comfortable to be more efficient in their work. Hence this answer choice puts doubt on the cause " interest taken by the researchers in the work of both groups during the study" for the increase of productivity.
This choice matches with (1) mentioned above
C) the 50 workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom were matched as closely as possible in age and level of training to the 50 workeres who remained in the drab workroom.
Similar to (A), the option points out similarity (rather than dissimilarity) between the working conditions of both the groups.Hence in one way, it stregthens that the interest of the researchers can be the cause of the increased productivity, as the working conditions were same for both the groups.
D) Nearly all the workers in both groups as volunteered to move to the brightly colored workroom.
Even though people volunteered, finally 50 were kept in the drab room. This is the fact. Hence who volunteered and who didnt, or whether people volunteered or not, is none of this argument's business
E) Many of the workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom as well as or better than they liked the brightly colored workroom.
The brightly colored room might be favorite for many, but this fact doesn't give reasons as to how the efficiency of the people in the drab room also increased.Hence in one way, this choice stregthens that the interest of the researchers can be the cause of the increased productivity, as the working conditions were same for both the groups.

Correct answer is (B)

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 05:59
A) If not true would weaken the authors interpretation
B) Casts doubt on authors interpretation
C) If not true would weaken the authors interpretation
D) Not relevant
E) Not relevant

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 03:15
I went for B as it explains the alternative reason for increase in productivity for workers inside the drab room but it does not indicate anything about the workers who went to a brightly coloured room.
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2014, 03:15