Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (01:49) correct 31% (01:15) wrong based on 13 sessions
In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 factory workers were moved from their drab workroom to a brightly colored workroom. Both these workers and the 50 who remained in the drab workroom increased their productivity, probably as a result of the interest taken by researchers in the work of both groups during the study.
Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt upon the author’s interpretation of the study results given above?
(A) The 50 workers moved to the brightly colored room performed precisely the same manufacturing task as the workers who remained in the drab workroom.
(B) The drab workroom was designed to provide adequate space for at most 65 workers.
(C) The 50 workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom were matched as closely as possible in age and level of training to the 50 workers who remained in the drab work-room.
(D) Nearly all the workers in both groups had volunteered to move to the brightly colored workroom.
(E) Many of the workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom reported that they liked the drab workroom as well as or better than they liked the brightly colored workroom.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:22
(B) The drab workroom was designed to provide adequate space for at most 65 workers.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:26
B or E

Will go with E.
Will explain if right.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:29
Can both of you provide explanation?!! For CRs, explanations other than mere picks are always solicited :wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:40
B because since the drab room could only accommodate about 65, productivity was taking a beating. Since 50 of them were moved to another room, the productivity of people inside the drab room increased and ppl in the bright room increased. (However I now realize that I have assumed that the bright room can accommodate 50 as well - which should be ok otherwise productivity may not increase).

Jay mentions E - but then why would the productivity of both the group increase (specially the ones who moved to bright room)?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 04:45
ACC to me it is B)
The reason for increased productivity is, according to researchers, the interest of the workers in the research performed.
Acc to B, the reason for increased productivity is not the interest of the workers but the increased work space. Thus B) denies the conclusion of the scientists
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR effect of color on productivity [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
laxieqv wrote:
In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 factory workers were moved from their drab workroom to a brightly colored workroom. Both these workers and the 50 who remained in the drab workroom increased their productivity, probably as a result of the interest taken by researchers in the work of both groups during the study.
Which of the following, if true, would cast most doubt upon the author’s interpretation of the study results given above?

(A) The 50 workers moved to the brightly colored room performed precisely the same manufacturing task as the workers who remained in the drab workroom.
(C) The 50 workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom were matched as closely as possible in age and level of training to the 50 workers who remained in the drab work-room.
(D) Nearly all the workers in both groups had volunteered to move to the brightly colored workroom.
(E) Many of the workers who moved to the brightly colored workroom reported that they liked the drab workroom as well as or better than they liked the brightly colored workroom.

if the low productivity was because of inadequate accomodation/space, then the new production is because of adequate accomodation/space not because of color/light.

and B says the same.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 08:08
Premise:
1) study of effect of color on productivity
2) 50 of 100 factory workers moved to brightly colored room
3) Those in brightly colored room and those in drab room increased their productivity

Conclusion:
4) Increased productivity most probably due to interest taken by researcher in the work of both grps

We want to find a choice that says productivity went up not because of the interest shown by the researchers.

A) Doesn't explain why productivity went up for some other reason
C) Same as A. Doesn't provide an alternative explanation
D) Irrelevant
(E) again, does not provide us another reason why productivity went up

B is the best. If the room is meant for 50 workers, then 15 are probably bumming around... so productivity went up coz headcount is now maximized.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 10:23
I'll go with B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 May 2006, 18:36
whats the OA laxie?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 00:52
I think B is answer.

Only B explains alternative reason for why productivity increased.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 May 2006, 05:26
You all nailed it :)
OA is B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:59
laxieqv wrote:
You all nailed it :)
OA is B.

I feel its not a great question.
B, it is, but is better of the worst and is quite far-fetched.
With a lot of assumptions with the main one being, increase in space => increase in productivity..... One would go for B. Hope such questions don't appear actually.
Thanks!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 07:45
At the first time, I chose (D). But after reading again the argument and explanation of guys above, I understand why (B) is correct. Thanks :D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 17:08
B
VP
VP
Followers: 201

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 00:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In a study of the effect of color on productivity, 50 of 100   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2014, 00:31