Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In a town of 10 million households

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 23:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

17% (00:00) correct 83% (01:44) wrong based on 6 sessions
In a town of 10 million households there are 3 newspapers in circulation - X, Y and Z. There are 9 million households that subscribe to one or more newspapers.The number of total circulation of all the newspapers is 12 million. The number of households subscribing to X,Y are 2 million and 5 million respectively. What is the number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper.Assume that any household subscribes only one newspaper of a particular type.

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 24

CAT Tests
Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 00:36
I think its A .. 12m subs - 9m households so atleast 3m households should subscribe for more that one type
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 80

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 01:25
anjanapadmaraj wrote:
In a town of 10 million households there are 3 newspapers in circulation - X, Y and Z. There are 9 million households that subscribe to one or more newspapers.The number of total circulation of all the newspapers is 12 million. The number of households subscribing to X,Y are 2 million and 5 million respectively. What is the number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper.Assume that any household subscribes only one newspaper of a particular type.

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

The difference between Total news paper sold and total households subscribed for newspapers is 3M

so the maximum number of households that subscribing more than 1 Newspaper is 3M.--(1)

If all the households which are subscribing more than 1 news paper are subscribing to three news papers then we can find the minimum number of households, which is 1.5 M---(2)

From (1) and (2) we can ignore options a ,b, c,d

So Ans E

-------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 80

Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 01:27
This post received
KUDOS
Priyanka2011 wrote:
I think its A .. 12m subs - 9m households so atleast 3m households should subscribe for more that one type

A is not the right answer as the difference is 3M and if any household subscribes three papers then the number will be less than 3M

3M is the maximum limit for the households which are subscribing more than one paper.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 80

Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 01:42
gopu106 wrote:
anjanapadmaraj wrote:

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

The difference between Total news paper sold and total households subscribed for newspapers is 3M

so the maximum number of households that subscribing more than 1 Newspaper is 3M.--(1)

If all the households which are subscribing more than 1 news paper are subscribing to three news papers then we can find the minimum number of households, which is 1.5 M---(2)

From (1) and (2) we can ignore options a ,b, c,d

So Ans E

i Think below method is easy to understand.

The total number of house holds buying newspaper = X+Y+Z+XY+XZ+YZ+XYZ = 9---(1)
Total number of newspapers sold = X+Y+Z+2XY+2XZ+2YZ+3XYZ = 12---(2)
If we need maximum number of households then no house hold should buy all three.
applying this in 1 and 2

X+Y+Z+XY+XZ+YZ = 9
X+Y+Z+2XY+2XZ+2YZ=12
So XY+XZ+YZ = 3(Maximum)

If we need the minimum number of households then no one should buy 2 newspapers.
1,2 will become
X+Y+Z+XYZ = 9
X+Y+Z+3XYZ=12
2XYZ=3
XYZ=1.5(minimum)

Applying this on options we can conclude that E is the answer
Attachments

1.JPG
1.JPG [ 18.37 KiB | Viewed 1210 times ]

Last edited by g106 on 12 Oct 2011, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5360 [2] , given: 165

Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2011, 02:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anjanapadmaraj wrote:

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

12 mil is the number of newspapers distributed.
9 mil is the number of households in which they are distributed.
Since each household gets at least one paper, say 9 mil are distributed, one each, in the 9 mil households. We are left with 3 mil newspapers. Each one of these 3 mil papers is distributed as second/third paper in some household.

Let's focus on distributing just these 3 mil papers now.

The maximum number of households in which these 3 mil papers can be distributed is 3 mil. Each paper goes to a different household. So number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper is \leq 3mil. But there is no such option.

Say, if I give 2 papers (a total of 3 papers) in the same household, and the rest of them in different households, how many households will get covered? (3 mil - 1)
How can I minimize the total number of households? By giving 2 papers in as many households (a total of 3 papers) as possible. If I give 2 papers in each household, I will need to cover 1.5 mil households. So number of households receiving more than 1 paper should be at least 1.5 mil.

Answer (E)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 34

Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 04:58
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
anjanapadmaraj wrote:

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

Since each household gets at least one paper, say 9 mil are distributed, one each, in the 9 mil households. We are left with 3 mil newspapers. Each one of these 3 mil papers is distributed as second/third paper in some household.

The maximum number of households in which these 3 mil papers can be distributed is 3 mil. Each paper goes to a different household. So number of households subscribing to more than 1 newspaper is \leq 3mil. But there is no such option.

Say, if I give 2 papers (a total of 3 papers) in the same household, and the rest of them in different households, how many households will get covered? (3 mil - 1)
How can I minimize the total number of households? By giving 2 papers in as many households (a total of 3 papers) as possible. If I give 2 papers in each household, I will need to cover 1.5 mil households. So number of households receiving more than 1 paper should be at least 1.5 mil.

Answer (E)

Karishma if we tried to solve this algebraically: (numbers in million)

AuBuC=A+b+C-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} --->9=12-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} ---> {exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3 (1)

Is this the 3 that you mention in your explanation? (red phrase).

Then what do we say? we want to find {exactly 2}+{exactly 3}... Based on (1) i guess I have to find the value of {exactly 3}.. then what?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5360 [1] , given: 165

Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 01:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
SonyGmat wrote:
anjanapadmaraj wrote:

a. At least 3 million

b. Exactly 3 million

c. Less than 3 million

d. At least 2 million

e. At least 1.5 million.

Answer (E)

Karishma if we tried to solve this algebraically: (numbers in million)

AuBuC=A+b+C-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} --->9=12-{exactly 2}-2*{exactly 3} ---> {exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3 (1)

Is this the 3 that you mention in your explanation? (red phrase).

Then what do we say? we want to find {exactly 2}+{exactly 3}... Based on (1) i guess I have to find the value of {exactly 3}.. then what?

Yes it is. 3 mil newspapers are second or third papers.

{exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3
Maximize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in two paper homes. {exactly3} = 0
{exactly2} = 3
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 3 mil

Minimize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in 3 paper homes. {exactly 2} = 0
2*{exactly 3} = 3
{exactly 3} = 1.5 mil
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 1.5 mil

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 34

Re: In a town of 10 million households [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 02:35
Yes it is. 3 mil newspapers are second or third papers.

{exactly 2}+2*{exactly3}=3
Maximize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in two paper homes. {exactly3} = 0
{exactly2} = 3
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 3 mil

Minimize households -> Distribute each of the 3 mil papers in 3 paper homes. {exactly 2} = 0
2*{exactly 3} = 3
{exactly 3} = 1.5 mil
Number of households subscribing to more than 1 paper = 1.5 mil

Perfect explanation as always. Thanks.
Re: In a town of 10 million households   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2011, 02:35