Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Jul 2015, 07:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 763

Kudos [?]: 3080 [0], given: 38

Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 11:08
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
psharma21 wrote:
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of
(E) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

ankurgupta03 wrote:
Hey Mike,
Can you please help me with this question.
If the OA of the problem here is D, then there is no antecedent of her. Please let me know what is wrong in my reasoning.
Regards,
Ankur

Dear Ankur,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here's a blog you may find helpful:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-pronoun-traps/

The rule is: a noun in the possessive (such as "Leakey's") cannot be an antecedent of a pronoun unless the pronoun is also in the possessive. A noun in the possessive can be the antecedent for a possessive pronoun. Thus, "Leakey's" can be the antecedent of "her." This appears often on the GMAT SC, and it often trips up the students who believe that a possessive noun can never be an antecedent.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 322

Premium Member
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 11:09
ankurgupta03 wrote:
If the OA of the problem here is D, then what is the antecedent of her. Can someone please help. I am not really convinced with the OA

I can try though.

In addition to her workX, Maria blah blah blah.

Maria cannot be in addition to her workX,but there must be some other work of Maria which is in addition to her workX. Hence , A/B/C are out.

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

(E) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Between (D) and (E)

And as pointed by Piyush the possessive pronouns can refer back to possessive nouns and that is the case here.

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2014, 23:04
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings

see non underlined part what can be addition of work , for sure Mary can be herself

Only D and E left between d and e if you look closely

In D include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation

In E :-Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of (wrong)

Hope that helps :)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2014, 03:37
brianlange77 wrote:
psharma21 wrote:

In this question, many websites have quoted D as the OA... but "in addition to her.." the her here is not Leakey's Contribution. This seems to me like a modifier error. Please help.

ALSO i tried the GMAT prep questions on this website, and my accuracy was 60-70%, which is very scary because i have worked very hard to improve this part. Should i expect this level of difficulty on the exam day as well? RC is my nemesis and CR not extremely friendly so... SC was supposed to be my savior and mind you, my GMAT is in 3 days!! :?

Can I ask where this question was sourced from? Want to make sure I respond appropriately.
Thanks.
-Brian

Brian, this is from GMATPrep. My only problem with the correct answer is that doesn't the antecedent need to be in the sentence for the pronoun? In ans D we have "Mary Leaky's contributions" but not "Mary Leaky" to reference "her work". Please explain; thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 3080 [1] , given: 38

Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2014, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
farhanabad wrote:
Brian, this is from GMATPrep. My only problem with the correct answer is that doesn't the antecedent need to be in the sentence for the pronoun? In ans D we have "Mary Leaky's contributions" but not "Mary Leaky" to reference "her work". Please explain; thanks.

Dear farhanabad,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I am going to refer you to my previous post in this thread, from July 5, 2014, in which I addressed this exact question. Read there to find out why this is perfectly fine grammatically.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2014, 21:34
mikemcgarry wrote:
The rule is: a noun in the possessive (such as "Leakey's") cannot be an antecedent of a pronoun unless the pronoun is also in the possessive.

Hello Mike, in view of this, can you suggest why the following is correct?

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

My understanding is that possessive noun "Bona Dea's aid" is an antecedent of object pronoun "her".

May be I am not interpreting your rule accurately:(.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 3080 [1] , given: 38

Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2014, 10:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mohish wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
The rule is: a noun in the possessive (such as "Leakey's") cannot be an antecedent of a pronoun unless the pronoun is also in the possessive.

Hello Mike, in view of this, can you suggest why the following is correct?

Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

My understanding is that possessive noun "Bona Dea's aid" is an antecedent of object pronoun "her".

May be I am not interpreting your rule accurately:(.

Dear Mohish,
My friend, I am happy to help. :-) This, of course, is from the OA of OG13 SC#109.

Understand that grammar is not mathematics. The rules are not "absolute right" vs. "absolute wrong." If you think this way about grammar, you will get yourself confused.

The most important thing about a pronoun is that it is unambiguous in its referent. If we cannot discern the antecedent of a pronoun with complete clarity, the pronoun is useless. This is virtually non-negotiable.

The guideline that antecedents should not be in the possessive, unless the pronoun is in the possessive --- this is a stylistic point, not something absolutely necessarily for the sentence to have meaning, but something that tends to indicate elevated style. If the GMAT is testing you on this point, in all likelihood, they will be expecting you to make the "high style" choice. Is this an absolute rule? Technically, no, but this gets into subtleties.

Many folks thing of parallelism as a grammatical structure, but parallelism is primarily a logical structure. The grammar has to align itself with the logic, which is deeper. As a logical structure, parallelism can inform other logical relationships in this sentence. In this sentence, the "her" is unambiguous, because there is only one female entity in the sentence, and the parallelism reinforces this pronoun-antecedent link, making it utterly clear. With such powerful logical links in place, this allows us to relax the stylistic rule a bit. This is what GMAC is doing on its own, and is NOT a matter that it would ask you to apply. Notice that this particular SC question gives the student no choice about the pronoun.

All of this gets into more detail that you need to know. What you need to know is, that when the GMAT is asking you directly and putting the issue on the line for your to choose, stick with the guideline that the antecedent can't be in the possessive unless it's a possessive pronoun. You will be tested on that. You will not be tested on the more sophisticated stuff. Keep in mind that GMAC is aware of all the discussions we have here: they know the rules that students enshrine like mathematical truths, and they write questions such as this one, specifically designed to perplex the students who are too attached to the rules.

You simply cannot achieve SC mastery through memorizing some complete list of rules. You have to read. You have to develop a habit of reading every day, so that you develop an ear for sophisticated language. If you try to reduce grammar to rules, you will miss the forest for the trees.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2014, 16:54
mikemcgarry wrote:
farhanabad wrote:

Dear farhanabad,
I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, I am going to refer you to my previous post in this thread, from July 5, 2014, in which I addressed this exact question. Read there to find out why this is perfectly fine grammatically.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike, my apologies for the late response to this message. Thank y out very much for the clarification.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 41

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2015, 08:11
I am still confused and not able to get the difference between ....

Question 1 :

Question 2 :
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.

Can someone help me out here ?
Manager
Manager
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 295

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2015, 03:56
D should be correct.

A possessive pronoun can have a noun in the possessive form as a clear antecedent.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 75

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2015, 22:57
This post received
KUDOS
This Question is primarily testing your knowledge of the opening modifier with possessive reference. If the opening modifier starts with a possessive pronoun such as 'her' then the subject after the comma should also be possessive such as 'leakey's contribution' and not leakey (noun).

That leaves one with option D and E and then it should be a cake walk to go for D, given that option E changes the tense to present continuous and so changes the intended meaning.
Re: In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2015, 22:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ]