Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 13:48
I vote for ^ D ^

>> After "In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record" we should use "Leakey's contributions to archaelogy " to sustain the ||lism.

>> Also, "her discovery " is better than "her discovering".
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 17:14
'D' should be the right choice..

'Leakey was a contributor' is redundant. Moreover the sentence is about her actions and not about her, so we don't we need a modifier for ' Mary Leakey '
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy [#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 18:50
karthikb wrote:
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

(E) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

I am going with E as "discovering the earliest direct evidence of" is parallel to "painstaking documentation of". D is my 2nd best choice as the parallelism in D is not to the same extent as E. Other choices seem incorrect.

Can someone enlighten me what's the difference between D and E as I can't put a finger on it.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 19:32
parallel'sm should be in congruence with discovery and documentation. And not between discovering and painstaking, if I am right it modifies the verbal 'documentation' and not the main verb here.

The above should be the difference between 'D' & 'E'.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 May 2006, 21:17
Wow, it is concerning that GMATPrep gave you two different answers for the same question :(

So do we have a final concensus on what the answer should be? my vote is for D as well.

jjhko.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 18:13
This is a real concern. If u have noticed the options in both the questions differ. for the first one i would go with A and second one B

For propenents of D :
how can "her" refer to mary "leekay's Contributions"?

Learn and let others learn

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 19:16
laxieqv wrote:
karthikb wrote:
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

(E) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

What is " in addition to her work" is "Leakey's contributions to" instead of "Leakey" herself. A, B and C are out.
"discovery" in D is better than " discovering" in E.
I choose D.

I found one similar question in which different items are parallel

Could you please explain how the above questions is different from the below?

Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(A) Added to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(B) Added to the increase in hourly wages which had been requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(C) The railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits added to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July.
(D) In addition to the increase in hourly wages that were requested last July, the railroad employees are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.
(E) In addition to the increase in hourly wages requested last July, the employees of the railroad are now seeking an expanded program of retirement benefits.

Here E is the OA.

Learn and let others learn

SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2006, 21:50
Learn wrote:
This is a real concern. If u have noticed the options in both the questions differ. for the first one i would go with A and second one B

For propenents of D :
how can "her" refer to mary "leekay's Contributions"?

Yeah, you're totally right!!! :)
Let's say: if it's "contributions of Leekay" , we can use "her" . But, herein, it's "leekey's contributions" --> we can't use "her"

This is the key point! This grammar point is clearly introduced by our moderator Vivek in " Advanced grammar points" ;)

Yup, so it's B :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2006, 17:27
question in snap shot is different than what is asked!

one uses "through" second "by", I belive both are correct, Snapshot A is correct and the question that is discussed here B is correct, because it uses correct || contributed by X and by y!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2006, 22:41
What are Mary Leakey's contributions to archaelogy??

- Her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record
- Her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity
- Her painstaking documentation of East African paintings

In D all these are stated ||y:

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of East African paintings.

So IMO it should be D.

Regards,
Brajesh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2006, 06:54
jjhko wrote:
Wow, it is concerning that GMATPrep gave you two different answers for the same question :(

If you look carefully though, the options are different in the two questions. In other words they are not exactly same questions and it makes sense that they may have different answers. This remind me that we have to evaluate each question carefully every time we see it, and not simply checking the choice we remembered from the last time. I'm amazed at how shrewd they are actually. :-D

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2006, 07:04
karthikb wrote:

(A) In addition to her work (on something), Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery and painstakingly documenting (something else).

discovery and documenting is not parellel.

Quote:
(B) In addition to her work (on something), Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery and by painstakingly documenting (something else).

contribute to sth by doing sth is correct, but I don't think contribute to sth by sth (as a noun) is correct.

Quote:
(C) In addition to her work (on something), Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery and with her painstaking documentation of (something else).

Sounds like both "her work" and "Leakey" were a contributor. Wrong parallel here.

Quote:
(D) In addition to her work (on something), Leakey's contributions include her discovery and her painstaking documentation of (something else).

I believe this is correct.

Quote:
(E) In addition to her work (on something), Leakey's contributions include her discovering something and painstaking documentation of (something else).

discovering and documentation is not parallel.

I would choose D.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2007, 19:50
b14kumar wrote:
What are Mary Leakey's contributions to archaelogy??

- Her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record
- Her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity
- Her painstaking documentation of East African paintings

In D all these are stated ||y:

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of East African paintings.

So IMO it should be D.

Regards,
Brajesh

this is a question clearly testing the "possessive pronoun can refer back to possessive nouns" concept
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 07:20
karthikb wrote:

D. one work in the intro/opening phrase should be followed bu another work.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 07:40
Whats wrong with B?
Is it contributed by or contributed with? Which one is correct and why?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2007, 17:12
hkm_gmat wrote:
C - for parallelsim

D E are out - modifier issue
B - AWKWARD

so its b/w A and C
C - for parallelsim

D, it is

C does not follow rules of parallelism

1st part speaks about her work, second also about her works
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 12:27
Quote:
this is a question clearly testing the "possessive pronoun can refer back to possessive nouns" concept

Would appreciate more info regarding the possessive pronoun ..

thanks
!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 14:32
I would go with D

we are comparing her work and contributions. Got to be D.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 05:12
Another dig up,

I believe this is 'possessive poison' question but I am confused.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2008, 06:34

Very good question.
Here the modifying phrase represents one of Mary Leakey's works..it can only be compared to or added to her other works.
So remove options A , B and C.
Now between D and E.., E is gramatically wrong.."her discovering " is not good.
Re: SC Gmatprep - Mary Leakey archaelogy   [#permalink] 25 Jun 2008, 06:34