Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 16:03
Impossible, "D" can't be the answer, there is a grammar problem in "D".

Come on folks, how do you defend, the pronoun, "her", usage in "D".
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 16:20
From MGMAT book page 63
Jose's room is so messy that his mother calls HIM a pig.
HIS can refer to Jose's BUT HIM can't refer to anything
change HIM to Jose and the sentence will be fine.

Doing an analogy with this question
her can refer to "Leakey's" eventhough there is no woman named Leakey in preceding sentence BUT just the possesion of Leakey,
" Leakey's " is OK to refer to "HER"

the rest of sentence is about parallel stuff
Discovery matching with Documentation NOT documenting
:)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 17:12
CHEN wrote:
From MGMAT book page 63
Jose's room is so messy that his mother calls HIM a pig.
HIS can refer to Jose's BUT HIM can't refer to anything
change HIM to Jose and the sentence will be fine.

Doing an analogy with this question
her can refer to "Leakey's" eventhough there is no woman named Leakey in preceding sentence BUT just the possesion of Leakey,
" Leakey's " is OK to refer to "HER"

the rest of sentence is about parallel stuff
Discovery matching with Documentation NOT documenting
:)


oh... my buddy Jose... and his mom... How could I forget about "him" and "his messy room" :?: :shock: This is the rule after all... not the exception... I didn't make it up :!: though I have it on page 59 :shock: is there a new edition of MGMAT SC?

come on vivek... :flower not you gotta bend over towards D... A is just plain awkward and not parallel... :lol: if anything... it could be B IMO... not A... in any case... thanks for making me think :!: I won't forget this question for sure!

CHEN, thanks for not breaking your head over this one... clearly, you did your homework here :lol:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 17:30
:) I just practice this a lot due to unacceptable V score on my first try on GMAT
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 18:12
u2lover wrote:
CHEN wrote:
From MGMAT book page 63
Jose's room is so messy that his mother calls HIM a pig.
HIS can refer to Jose's BUT HIM can't refer to anything
change HIM to Jose and the sentence will be fine.

Doing an analogy with this question
her can refer to "Leakey's" eventhough there is no woman named Leakey in preceding sentence BUT just the possesion of Leakey,
" Leakey's " is OK to refer to "HER"

the rest of sentence is about parallel stuff
Discovery matching with Documentation NOT documenting
:)


oh... my buddy Jose... and his mom... How could I forget about "him" and "his messy room" :?: :shock: This is the rule after all... not the exception... I didn't make it up :!: though I have it on page 59 :shock: is there a new edition of MGMAT SC?

come on vivek... :flower not you gotta bend over towards D... A is just plain awkward and not parallel... :lol: if anything... it could be B IMO... not A... in any case... thanks for making me think :!: I won't forget this question for sure!

CHEN, thanks for not breaking your head over this one... clearly, you did your homework here :lol:


Yeah, this is new for me, but very good one.
Nope, I didn't fight for "A" dear ;) I said, 'with' or 'by', I just didn't think much over there, I was just not convinced on "D", now that Chen did it, I have nothing to say....I'm opening bud can :lol:
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 18:17
vivek123 wrote:
Yeah, this is new for me, but very good one.
Nope, I didn't fight for "A" dear ;) I said, 'with' or 'by', I just didn't think much over there, I was just not convinced on "D", now that Chen did it, I have nothing to say....I'm opening bud can :lol:


where is my Chilean wine :?: i think we need some wine glass smiley face under "emotions"... but for now beer glass will do it.

cheers
:beer
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 26 Sep 2005
Posts: 584
Location: Munich,Germany
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 18:21
u2lover wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Yeah, this is new for me, but very good one.
Nope, I didn't fight for "A" dear ;) I said, 'with' or 'by', I just didn't think much over there, I was just not convinced on "D", now that Chen did it, I have nothing to say....I'm opening bud can :lol:


where is my Chilean wine :?: i think we need some wine glass smiley face under "emotions"... but for now beer glass will do it.

cheers
:beer


haha.....you forgot to ask for the pasta lovergirl..we should 2 smileys here, one for the chilean wine and the other for the pasta..
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 20:24
Will go with D.

Her work ........... her contributions.... is the correct modifier.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2006, 13:47
shahnandan wrote:
u2lover wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
Yeah, this is new for me, but very good one.
Nope, I didn't fight for "A" dear ;) I said, 'with' or 'by', I just didn't think much over there, I was just not convinced on "D", now that Chen did it, I have nothing to say....I'm opening bud can :lol:


where is my Chilean wine :?: i think we need some wine glass smiley face under "emotions"... but for now beer glass will do it.

cheers
:beer


haha.....you forgot to ask for the pasta lovergirl..we should 2 smileys here, one for the chilean wine and the other for the pasta..



Pasta? Oh Not again :puke :puke
Nandan, this is for you for talking about Pasta --> :saw Ha ha ha :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 474
Location: united states
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 22:03
guys, did we conclude on this one? I chose C the first time. But, I think B is the right answer (C is better than D though ;))

Paddyboy, why do you think the two sentence correction questions are different?
_________________

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 19
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 11:03
Awesome discussion and one really good learning about possessive pronoun.
Thanks a lot guys.

I went for D the first time because "Leakey" was not modified by her works and between D and E, D looked better. However, I never thought of the problem regarding pronoun referrent in such a case.

I think CHEN's reference clears all of this up.
Thanks man.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2006, 11:16
Leakey 's still around here? :)
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5252
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 03:47
CHEN wrote:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
D 70%


her work...her contributions...

CHEN got it right off the top. Way to go!!

Excellent SC, went straight to the notes for this Friday`s review.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2006
Posts: 1419
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 11:34
agsfaltex wrote:
I'm confused.

"her" has no antecedent in (D)


it isn't just "HER"... her work=her contributions
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3405
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 12:27
this should be D...

i belive i saw this on a cambridge test once...
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Posts: 1270
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 12:46
(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

Very-Very late on this .. but..

Modifier talks about "Leakey's contributions" ...
In addition to her work... , Leakey's contributions...
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2006, 12:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fossil phammanhhiep 0 30 Jan 2014, 01:16
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil psharma21 21 10 Feb 2013, 04:40
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil gregspirited 7 18 Dec 2007, 11:44
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil empty_spaces 8 14 Aug 2007, 11:44
1 In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil karthikb 39 22 Oct 2005, 04:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.