Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 21:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:44) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

(E) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 21:39
I go with A.

D and E are out. In non-underlined part, what "her" is referring to if we take "Leakey's".

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 139 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 22:29
ps_dahiya wrote:
I go with A.

D and E are out. In non-underlined part, what "her" is referring to if we take "Leakey's".

Used the same logic to eliminate D/E. C is passive so nixed it too.

Between A and B, looks like (B) is better balanced with the second "by."

Bagging (B) here.

1:54
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Leakey [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2006, 23:00
zoom612 wrote:
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African paintings.

(A) Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

(B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

(C) Leakey was a contributor to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of

(D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

(E) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

I will go with D as well.

In addition to her work is || to Leakey's contribution. So, Abc are out. E has non || 'and' clauses. D looks good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 07:33
C looks like the winner.

"her discovery" and "her painstaking documentation" are parallel.
shahnandan, could you explain why you think C is not right? I really couldn't understand your explanation.

for every person who doesn't try because he is
afraid of loosing , there is another person who
keeps making mistakes and succeeds..

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:12
guys... HER WORK... it's not just HER... so D and E should stand

so HER WORK=HER CONTRIBUTIONS=LEAKEY's CONTRIBUTIONS

another problem with A and C IMO is "contributed with", don't you think that you "CONTRIBUTE" by doing something... you contribute by actions, not with a noun.. please shed some light on this.

I pick D for ||sm
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:23
u2lover wrote:

another problem with A and C IMO is "contributed with", don't you think that you "CONTRIBUTE" by doing something... you contribute by actions, not with a noun.. please shed some light on this.

I pick D for ||sm

U2, I just read, Dahiya's reasoning, I have same reasoning. What reference does "her" has? Leaky? Nope.

Leaky is used to modify "contribution", it's not a noun to be referenced, this rule is given in OG10. we discussed this some time back in "advanced grammar lessons" sticky... :)
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:27
u2lover wrote:

I pick D for ||sm

Agree 100% with U2. Both and A & B have ||sm problems

contributed "with her discovery" and "painstakingly documenting" are clearly not ||

B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

B looked tantalisingly close but again -- "by her discovery" and "by painstakingly documenting" are again not || --- by her discovery (noun) should be paralleled with "by her painstaking documentation (noun)" to be correct.

E seems the most correct.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:37
vivek123 wrote:
u2lover wrote:

I pick D for ||sm

U2, I just read, Dahiya's reasoning, I have same reasoning. What reference does "her" has? Leaky? Nope.

Leaky is used to modify "contribution", it's not a noun to be referenced, this rule is given in OG10. we discussed this some time back in "advanced grammar lessons" sticky... :)

crap... I have more to learn :roll:

how about "contribute with" vs. "contribute by"... any thoughts here?
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:43
u2lover wrote:
vivek123 wrote:
u2lover wrote:

I pick D for ||sm

crap... I have more to learn :roll:

how about "contribute with" vs. "contribute by"... any thoughts here?

U2 - Don't you think A violates ||sm. I understand the point about pronoun reference but what about the other errors --

In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary
Quote:
Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
East African paintings.

Are "with her discovery" and "painstakingly documenting" parallel?

Unless we are considering the documenting as a gerund which can stand in for a noun?
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:48
dwivedys wrote:
u2lover wrote:

I pick D for ||sm

Agree 100% with U2. Both and A & B have ||sm problems

contributed "with her discovery" and "painstakingly documenting" are clearly not ||

B) Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting

B looked tantalisingly close but again -- "by her discovery" and "by painstakingly documenting" are again not || --- by her discovery (noun) should be paralleled with "by her painstaking documentation (noun)" to be correct.

E seems the most correct.

Actually, it's the case of "best of the rest" ;) "with" usage sounds good to my ears ;)! I've to admit that I didn't think much on this part...

Btw, here's the link for the grammar point I mentioned: http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 660#194660
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 08:59
Quote:
Actually, it's the case of "best of the rest" "with" usage sounds good to my ears ! I've to admit that I didn't think much on this part...

I agree Vivek - can't do much about it in that case.. However my experience with GMAT questions is that the correct choice is ALWAYS 100% error free.. so even if they don't sound right, they are beyond any doubt grammatically correct. This one just didn't seem to be correct even though it's the only one that takes care of the pronoun error which we all the rest of us incidentally missed..

Hard luck there I suppose.. if these kinds of questions come on the exam I am bound to be hacked again..
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 09:02
dwivedys wrote:
U2 - Don't you think A violates ||sm. I understand the point about pronoun reference but what about the other errors --

Quote:
Leakey contributed to archaelogy with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
East African paintings.

Unless we are considering the documenting as a gerund which can stand in for a noun?

yeah.. I also think "contributed with" is wrong... but what the hell do I know about the stupid idioms... :x

I agreed with dahiya first... because I remember reading "POSSESSIVE POISON" in MGMAT, but I thought that "her work" would equal her contributions... Leakey is still a person and "her" must refer to Leakey... I know the rule... but keep making exceptions like this :wall

If I saw this on the test now I would still pick B because of "contribute BY"

Unfortunately, I think that mistakes with parallelism isn't the issue here... as I believe this POSSESSIVE POISON is a problem being tested!!! Although I agree that neither A nor B is clearly parallel...

will wait for OA now... no more of this...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 10:15
U2 you have a reason to smile. :wink:
The OA is D.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 10:17
zoom612 wrote:
The OA is D.

:nopem
aa aa aa, Some problem here, OG can't be wrong... :boxer
Zoom dear, what's the source?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 10:30
OMG... LET'S PARTY

:woohoo

and so the lesson is repeated again... go with the reasonable 1st STRIKE!!!
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 11:51
zoom612 wrote:
The OA is D.

Hold on guys. Be ready for a big surprise.

OA is A as well as D :yikes :yikes
Have a look at the attachment.
Attachments

Conflicting answers.doc [136 KiB]
Downloaded 238 times

To download please login or register as a user

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 12:48
dahiya,

are you sure this isn't work of some very creative software engineer? :lol: how did you get this? (not saying that you did it... even though I believe you are one of the engineers here... :) ) We should confront GMAC regarding this one...

in any case, i think D makes sense, still don't like "contribute with" in A

anyways, still PARTYING... :band
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 13:59
Straight D.

Read the questions in the attachment carefully - they are different. Clever buggers... :lol:

Lesson? Don't fall into traps.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2006, 15:12
u2lover wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

Quote:
East African paintings.

yeah.. I also think "contributed with" is wrong... but what the hell do I know about the stupid idioms... :x

I agreed with dahiya first... because I remember reading "POSSESSIVE POISON" in MGMAT, but I thought that "her work" would equal her contributions... Leakey is still a person and "her" must refer to Leakey... I know the rule... but keep making exceptions like this :wall

If I saw this on the test now I would still pick B because of "contribute BY"

Unfortunately, I think that mistakes with parallelism isn't the issue here... as I believe this POSSESSIVE POISON is a problem being tested!!! Although I agree that neither A nor B is clearly parallel...

will wait for OA now... no more of this...

Good one
  [#permalink] 30 Jul 2006, 15:12