Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 09:02
When using "her", one has to refer to an animate noun (ie human being's name).

yavasani, you cannot directly replace "her" with an animate noun as it will never work. "her" is a possessive pronoun and can only be replaced by a possessive form but it is not the reason why the subject of the independent clause should be changed to anything other than an animate noun.

The question is whether one can refer "her work" in the introductory modifier to Mary Leaky's contribution (ie the work of her contribution). This is thus wrong.

Although the OA is D, it is useful to know why D is good/wrong and given that such an answer cannot be substantiated, I refute D :evil:

I welcome any other argument in the defense of D or in the criticism of C.

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 05 May 2008, 14:02
contribute to X with her/his research/discovery is perfectly fine english

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 09:11
I was fooled too..almost thought that the OA was wrong....
but...take a note that both Leaky's contributions as well as that Leaky contributed are correct. As the modifying clause "In addition to her..." is referring to a single person. Just make sure that contributions are expressed in parallel as in "contributed through X and through Y" or as in "contributions include her x and her y"....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 13:05
gixxer1000 wrote:
I came a little late to the party but got D as the answer and here is why.

The sentence starts out 'In addition to'. For this reasons we need to say 'Leakey's contributions to acheology include' because we must include the work on the hominid fossil as one of them.

ex. If we say;

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of ....

This implies that the work on the Miocene hominid fossil is not a contribution.

ex. In addition to X, Mary Leakey contributed to Y..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are different.

ex. In addtion to X, Mary Leakey's contributions to Y include..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are related.

Good explanation gixx.

I believe I see what you mean:

In addition to X, Leaky's contribution ... --> comparing two similar things assuming that X is also one of Leaky's contributions.

However, when you look at "her" in the introductory modifier, it still bothered me that "her" has no explicit referent other than the possessive "Leaky's".

Oh well, I see your point but at the same time, I have yet to see such an ambiguous dangling modifier SC in the actual GMAT :shock:

Good discussion.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 13 May 2008, 18:35
the OA is A

I don't understand why A

isn't "her work" the subject of the modifier?
if so
Mary leakey's contribution should make the most sense
Attachments

maryleakey.JPG
maryleakey.JPG [ 79.55 KiB | Viewed 1483 times ]

Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 05:29
bsd_lover wrote:
Sondenso, if A is the OA then perhaps there's a typo :

37. In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

Maybe that "documenting" is actually "documented" ?? Could you double check for us ?

It seems bsd was right. In answer choice A 'documenting' should be 'documentation' correcting the error in A and therefore making it correct.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 05:46
*fist pump* :lol:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 14 May 2008, 06:09
gixxer, Paul;
I still have a question. It seems there are apparently two differnet questions on this Mary Leaky thing...
In both of them the OA's are determined by the ||ism/correctness of last part of the sentence. However both
OAs treat the modifier thing differently. In one OA it is "In addition to her....., Mary Leaky..."; in another OA it is "In addition to her.....,Mary Leaky's...".

Thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 04:28
I made an excuse in previous post and refered you to other posts. I should paste the two sentence that are really similar and make me confused.

1. OA is D
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

2.OA is A
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.
A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 05:39
Wow great discussion. I got D, but have not been convinced about C. In my opinion, the sentence construction is not complete.

The last part of the sentence '... and with her....' sounds incomplete. Also the sentence starts with 'In addition to her work on human...' and if I add the answer c, it would read 'Mary Leaky was a contributor to archeology...' sounds awkward. Hence D seems the best choice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 14:13
Fellas, the reason "her" is used correctly in D is because possesive pronouns can refer back to posssesive nouns. That's explained in the MGMAT SC guide.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 06:23
D for me

parallel issue

In addition to her ..., her contribution ... her ... and her ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 23:08
you posted the wrong qs!!! qs in image is different from what you posted..
Please avoid such things as this waste so much of the time..

Rohit
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 04:31
I think flyinhair is spot on here. The question tests ll, not modifier or pronoun....
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 01:08
Option D is correct.

D) Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her discovery of the earliest direct
evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

This is testing parallelism and the parallel idiomatic usage is " In addition to ... , Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her X and her Y.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 166

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 01:01
I marked D , but the OA as per gmat prep is A :( .. so A has to be correct !!

Now still my basic doubt remains .......

Is "In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leaky contributed ......" is correct form
OR
In addition to her work on the miocene homicide fosiil record, Mary Leakey's contribution ...." is the correct form ...

From OA it looks like Mary Leaky contributed is correct ... but am confused ..
Could anyone explain with a grammar rule or something ?

Thanks !

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2014, 12:58
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2014, 12:58