Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

45% (02:16) correct 55% (00:43) wrong based on 46 sessions
37. In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 03:05
This post received
KUDOS
D for me ..

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

calls for Leakey's contributions.. thus A,B,C are out

now between D&E

D is the best, E modifies the meaning

A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting

B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting-> by her .. is awkward..

C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of->

D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of-> "her discovering" ?

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 03:20
This post received
KUDOS
I got C
D and E are wrong because of the dangling modifier problem. "her" in the introductory modifier certainly does not modify Leakey's contributions.
B is wrong because the proper syntax is "X contributes to science with X's research on/discovery of"
A is wrong on the basis of parallellism

Best Regards,

Paul

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
what is the source of the question sodenso?1000 sc?then i doubt the answer...if gprep,then verbal gurus...plz help.....i came down to a and b because of modifier usage...but confused whether to use with or by... :?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 435 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 22:48
This post received
KUDOS
D ?????

:shock: this is even more confusing.... I thought a proper noun always follows a Dangling modifier.

In addition to HER work ... Her clearly refers to Mary leaky - and not to mary leaky's contributions.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 13:48
This post received
KUDOS
I thought her can be used either as an object pronoun or a possessive pronoun. One argument against C, I could be wrong here - is it valid to use "contributor to X with her discovery" ? she was a contributor to X because or due to right ?

Paul wrote:
When using "her", one has to refer to an animate noun (ie human being's name).

yavasani, you cannot directly replace "her" with an animate noun as it will never work. "her" is a possessive pronoun and can only be replaced by a possessive form but it is not the reason why the subject of the independent clause should be changed to anything other than an animate noun.

The question is whether one can refer "her work" in the introductory modifier to Mary Leaky's contribution (ie the work of her contribution). This is thus wrong.

Although the OA is D, it is useful to know why D is good/wrong and given that such an answer cannot be substantiated, I refute D :evil:

I welcome any other argument in the defense of D or in the criticism of C.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 06 May 2008, 09:37
This post received
KUDOS
I came a little late to the party but got D as the answer and here is why.

The sentence starts out 'In addition to'. For this reasons we need to say 'Leakey's contributions to acheology include' because we must include the work on the hominid fossil as one of them.

ex. If we say;

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of ....

This implies that the work on the Miocene hominid fossil is not a contribution.

ex. In addition to X, Mary Leakey contributed to Y..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are different.

ex. In addtion to X, Mary Leakey's contributions to Y include..
This sentence structure suggest that X and Y are related.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 5

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2009, 08:52
This post received
KUDOS
in the following sentences, the usage of "ML's" is not the key
the // is

here is how // goes:

1. OA is D
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of

2.OA is A
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of East African cave paintings.
A. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology through her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and through her painstaking documentation of
B. Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
C. Mary Leakey was a contributor to archaeology by discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
E. Mary Leakey's contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 17:18
DE are out , Dangling modifier must be followed by a proper noun.

The reason why I pick C is || ism . To rephrase ML contributed with her work <on fossil>, her discovery <of evidence> , her documentation <of caves>. Only C holds that ||ism.

sondenso wrote:
37. In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 284 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 17:36
OA is not among C, D, E

Paul wrote:
D and E are wrong because of the dangling modifier problem. "her" in the introductory modifier certainly does not modify Leakey's contributions

I think "her" refer to "Leakey's", not "Leakey's contributions". Do you think so?

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 18:17
In that case, it has to be B. "and painstakingly" in A is totally wrong.
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 18:19
bsd_lover wrote:
In that case, it has to be B. "and painstakingly" in A is totally wrong.

Bsd, 3 time ticking for a correct choice is too much for a real test! you should be fired! :lol: :lol: :lol:

B is not correct! :-D

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 18:30
LOL ... I am totally useless ... but I am not convinced at all of A as OA... it just doesnt make sense .... someone else will have to explain it in a lot more detail ..
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 19:11
suyashjhawar wrote:
what is the source of the question sodenso?1000 sc?then i doubt the answer...if gprep,then verbal gurus...plz help.....i came down to a and b because of modifier usage...but confused whether to use with or by... :?

It is from Gmatprep Practice Test 1, I met it yesterday!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 20:06
:beat

:oops:

Guess the beast is taking over again... my bad..

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 22:44
Sondenso, if A is the OA then perhaps there's a typo :

Maybe that "documenting" is actually "documented" ?? Could you double check for us ?
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 03 May 2008, 22:46
prasannar wrote:

Sorry prasannar and every body, I found 2 sentence too similar, so I confuse the one with the other.

The OA of this is D,

Pls advise on the other post that I combined both. right away!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 00:46
OA cannot be D. It is wrong for obvious reasons.

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 01:12
Paul wrote:
OA cannot be D. It is wrong for obvious reasons.

Paul, be advised this: 11-t63397

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Mary Leakey [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 08:47
I can confirm that the OA is D. I have seen this question on my GMAT Prep I just double checked the answer and it is D.
My 2 cents, In the original sentence if we replace her with Mary Leakey it doesnt make sense.

In addition to Mary Leakey work on M. fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archealogy.

So I think her needs to refer to a Possessive pronoun. In addtion to Mary Leakey's work on M. fossil record, Mary Leakey's contribution

What do you guys think ?

sondenso wrote:
prasannar wrote:

Sorry prasannar and every body, I found 2 sentence too similar, so I confuse the one with the other.

The OA of this is D,

Pls advise on the other post that I combined both. right away!
Re: SC. Mary Leakey   [#permalink] 04 May 2008, 08:47