Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 91 [4] , given: 14

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 01:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:01) correct 39% (00:51) wrong based on 87 sessions
In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.
A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 01 Jul 2013, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [2] , given: 5

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
This question is among the brutual SC list. I remeber it well because as you i was stunned when my answer choice was wrong.

I found an explaination in another forum. Just sharring it with you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
In this case, the right answer might actually look wrong to many people (which often happens on tricky questions). The opening phrase is talking about her work and saying "in addition to" her work on the fossil record - so we need to say what it is that is referring to this work. Her work on the fossil record was one of her contributions, just as her discovery of hominid activity was one of her contributions. But that's pretty subtle - if you're reading too quickly, you'll think that the opening modifier is referring to Mary Leakey and so we need to have her follow the comma. (But that's not really what's going on - what's actually going on is that we have a list of 3 contributions, but one comes at the beginning of the sentence and the other two come towards the end.)

A simpler sentence with the same set-up:
In addition to food, the mother's contributions to her child include shelter and love.
And as a straight list:
The mother's contributions to her child include food, shelter, and love.
Mary Leakey's contributions to archaelogy include her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity, and her painstaking documentation of East African paintings.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 2

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
kinghyts wrote:
Not convinced with the OA. The her in option D) cannot refer to Mary Leakey.

Experts please comment

Actually her in her work is used as a possessive pronoun, and it very neatly refers to the possessive noun: Mary Leakey’s contributions.

Even otherwise, GMAT is quite lenient when it comes to these kind of pronoun usage. For example, in the sentence below, the object pronoun her is referring to the possessive pronoun: Bona Dea's.

#109, OG-13:
Among the objects found in the excavated temple were small terra-cotta effigies left by supplicants who were either asking the goddess Bona Dea's aid in healing physical and mental ills or thanking her for such help.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1197 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone explain this one! Thanks!

In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record, Mary Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting East African cave paintings.

A and B and E are not parallel with/by her discovery / painstakingly documenting
or her discovering and painstaking documentation in E.

C. Leakey was a contributor to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and with her painstaking documentation of
D. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and her painstaking documentation of

C and D remain, and they both look fine taken by them self. Look at the initial modifier "In addition to her work": what should complete it?

"In addition to her work" Leakey’s contributions <== correct - in addition to her work there is her contributions to etc...
"In addition to her work" Leakey <=== not correct as it states that "she" is an addition to her work.

Hope it's clear

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 18

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 02:24
B.
In addition to her work...., <subject is needed>... so D, E out. C sounds horrible.

Between A and B.
A wrongly suggests that Leaky contributed with "her discovery of the earliest direct evidence" and "her discovery of painstakingly documenting"==>Wrong implication.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 14

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 04:06
Economist wrote:
B.
In addition to her work...., <subject is needed>... so D, E out. C sounds horrible.

Between A and B.
A wrongly suggests that Leaky contributed with "her discovery of the earliest direct evidence" and "her discovery of painstakingly documenting"==>Wrong implication.

Even I marked the same answer, but the OA is something else
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 04:12
Economist wrote:
B.

Between A and B.

u mentioned that subject is needed, do you mean to say that the noun to which her is referring..
it's already given there "MARY"
Director
Director

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 04:42
Yes, D and E are clearly out. I am pretty sure about B. However, if there is any valid explanation then I will learn something new... Pls post the OA and OE :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 04:52
OA given is D...

sorry i dont have any explanation...since the question belongs to GMAT prep
Current Student
Schools: Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 45

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 04:52
I can't see how D can be the right answer. This is a dangling modifier. Are you sure it's D?

~ If it is to be, it is up to me ~
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:05
ariel wrote:
I can't see how D can be the right answer. This is a dangling modifier. Are you sure it's D?

Even I am surprised, but the answer mentioned is D.....
I thought it to be B...and i still believe i am correct
Director
Director

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:06
SC Gurus please take over ! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 05:19
phewww , my brain's fuse is blown up.......http: :shock:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 11:16
I initially chose C, but I can see why D is correct. It's almost self-explanatory.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 12:55
SUBJECT SHOULD MODIFY "HER WORK" AND NOT THE PERSON HIMSELF
SO LEAKY IS INCORRECT SUBJECT,LEAK'YS WORK/LEAKY'S CONTRIBUTION IS THE CRRECT SUBJECT.LEAKY (LEAKY WAS A CONTRIBUTOR) WOULD BE INCORRECT TO MODIFY "HER WORK"

HAD THE SENTENCE STARTED AS "IN ADDITION TO WORKING ON X",SUBJECT WOULD
HAVE BEEN LEAKY.

A. Leakey contributed to archaeology with her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstakingly documenting
SUBJECT PROBLEM AS EXPLANIED ABOVE
WITH HER DOCUMENTING is incorrect form.should be WITH HER DOCUMENTATION
B. Leakey contributed to archaeology by her discovery of the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and by painstakingly documenting
"BY HER DISCOVERY" should be "WITH HER DISCOVERY"
"WAS A CONTRIBUTOR" IS WORDY
"LEAKY'S CONTRIBUTIONS" IS A CORRECT SUBJECT since it modifies "HER WORK"(in addition to HER WORK)"
INCLUDE is a correct verb to point out 2 separate contributions
DISCOVER is correct usage
PAINSTAKING DOCUMENTATION is correct usage
E. Leakey’s contributions to archaeology include her discovering the earliest direct evidence of hominid activity and painstaking documentation of
DISCOVERING should be DISCOVERY
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 14:51
I chose D. I haven't studied SC yet, but that choice seemed the most correct to me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil record [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 02:37
:shock:Almost got it....missed parallelism her work non underlined portion:( and marked E as ans

Great ques...Thanks for posting it .
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2013, 06:23
Can someone explain this one! Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 31

Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 20:14
Not convinced with the OA. The her in option D) cannot refer to Mary Leakey.

Experts please comment
SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2014, 21:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In addition to her work on the Miocene hominid fossil   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2014, 21:18