Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 09:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (02:23) correct 57% (01:17) wrong based on 116 sessions
In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend to come from households with more children. This makes sense, but what is unusual is that children who wear secondhand clothing also tend to be injured accidentally more often than children who do not wear secondhand clothing.

Which of the following statements best explains the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Children who wear secondhand clothing tend to have parents who are more concerned about their safety and well-being.
(B) Children who wear clothing that doesn't fit well are more likely to get their sleeves and cuffs caught on playground equipment and have accidents.
(C) Younger children who come from larger families tend to get injured accidentally at high rates because they tend to engage in rough play with their older siblings.
(D) The youngest child, who gets the most secondhand clothing, is also the most likely to have an accidental injury.
(E) Secondhand clothing is nearly indistinguishable from clothing bought new.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 10

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 11:05
Well according to my understanding Option B has to be the ans of this question. It correctly gives the reason that gives connection between second hand clothing and accidents.

Option C tells us about large families, but large families does not necessarily have ore children. Many adults and only 2 children also form a large family. Thus This can not be the ans.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Intern
Intern

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 12:46
vyassaptarashi wrote:
Well according to my understanding Option B has to be the ans of this question. It correctly gives the reason that gives connection between second hand clothing and accidents.

Option C tells us about large families, but large families does not necessarily have ore children. Many adults and only 2 children also form a large family. Thus This can not be the ans.

OA is C.

I am confused between B and C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 21:12
I can see why C is the correct answer...
The argument states that children who wear second hand clothing tend to get injured accidentally than others... Now these children can be of various age groups... thats the key point... Consider a large family of say 4 or 5 children and all the children get to wear second hand clothing.. according to the argument "All" the children tend to get injured accidentally... It is more possible that the siblings may get themselves involved in rough play, thereby injuring themselves than the possibility of injuring themselves on playground equipment... However the necessary assumption being that the older siblings will not hurt themselves by indulging themselves in playground equipment...

Nice question...
Hope that helps...
:)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 3

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
nimrod wrote:
I can see why C is the correct answer...
The argument states that children who wear second hand clothing tend to get injured accidentally than others... Now these children can be of various age groups... thats the key point... Consider a large family of say 4 or 5 children and all the children get to wear second hand clothing.. according to the argument "All" the children tend to get injured accidentally... It is more possible that the siblings may get themselves involved in rough play, thereby injuring themselves than the possibility of injuring themselves on playground equipment... However the necessary assumption being that the older siblings will not hurt themselves by indulging themselves in playground equipment...

Nice question...
Hope that helps...
:)

I'm not quite sure if that is the reason why C is correct.

I figure that B is incorrect because it implies that ill fitting clothes are reduced to long sleeves and cuffs. this kind of narrows the scope of what ill fitting clothes are and indirectly implies that well fitting clothes wont have these 'features'. That is of course not correct. A well fitting dress may just as well have loose sleeves etc because that could be the design or cut.

Because of narrowing of scope, I can see why B may not be the right answer.
1 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 956 [1] , given: 376

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 12:19
This post received
KUDOS
jaizen wrote:
In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend to come from households with more children. This makes sense, but what is unusual is that children who wear secondhand clothing also tend to be injured accidentally more often than children who do not wear secondhand clothing.

(A) Children who wear secondhand clothing tend to have parents who are more concerned about their safety and well-being.
(B) Children who wear clothing that doesn't fit well are more likely to get their sleeves and cuffs caught on playground equipment and have accidents.
(C) Younger children who come from larger families tend to get injured accidentally at high rates because they tend to engage in rough play with their older siblings.
(D) The youngest child, who gets the most secondhand clothing, is also the most likely to have an accidental injury.

I don't know which category this question fits in as I don't see any conclusion in the passage. The two statements look more like factual statements.

If the question asks:
"Which statement, if true, would strengthen the fact that children who wear secondhand clothing tend to be injured accidentally".

Let's see the options:
Yet, the children are getting injured. Why parents? This statement is creating a paradox and nothing else.

Who said the secondhand clothes won't fit?

This statement is just giving an answer to what the question asked. Younger children are getting injured and they also use secondhand clothing. Satisfactory relation.Correct.

This is another factual information which doesn't give us a reason why he/she is getting injured.

Thanks for the info, err, useless info!!!

Ans: "C"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 12:49
fluke wrote:
jaizen wrote:

I don't know which category this question fits in as I don't see any conclusion in the passage. The two statements look more like factual statements.

If the question asks:
"Which statement, if true, would strengthen the fact that children who wear secondhand clothing tend to be injured accidentally".

Let's see the options:
Yet, the children are getting injured. Why parents? This statement is creating a paradox and nothing else.

Who said the secondhand clothes won't fit?

This statement is just giving an answer to what the question asked. Younger children are getting injured and they also use secondhand clothing. Satisfactory relation.Correct.

This is another factual information which doesn't give us a reason why he/she is getting injured.

Thanks for the info, err, useless info!!!

Ans: "C"

Yep. B is wrong because second hand clothes neednt not fit well. Which leaves C. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 07:12
C follows neatly from the stimulus.
Intern
Intern

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 07:51
DevilDoggNC wrote:

dont really know what you mean by that..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 14:37
jaizen wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:

dont really know what you mean by that..

Sorry..I was a bit vague.

What I meant was / is:

The Stimulus states: 1) Large families are more likely to use second hand clothes.
2) Children wearing second hand clothes (implying children in larger families) tend to get injured often.

So what piece of information can connect these two statements logically?

Choice C provided a proper connection between the two claims made in the stimulus.

Hope this makes it more clear.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2011, 06:09
C is the correct one.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2014, 00:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2014, 00:01