Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 12:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:05) correct 60% (01:16) wrong based on 272 sessions
In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eliminate business travel for new business pitches. Instead, all communication with potential new business will be handled and pitched via email, document exchange and telephone calls.

Which of the following, if true, identifies a weakness of the new business model?

A)The firm has many local clients that do not require significant business travel

B)The average trip to pitch new business takes 2 full days when factoring in all travel and requires a 3 person team

C)Many employees of the consulting firm see travel for business pitches as a perk of the job

D)The company wins 65% of the business it pitches in person

E)Non-verbal communication plays an important role in guiding the presenters of a new business pitch to the areas they should focus most on during the presentation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 1256 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eli [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eliminate business travel for new business pitches. Instead, all communication with potential new business will be handled and pitched via email, document exchange and telephone calls.

Which of the following, if true, identifies a weakness of the new business model?

A)The firm has many local clients that do not require significant business travel
This actually supports the conclusion...
B)The average trip to pitch new business takes 2 full days when factoring in all travel and requires a 3 person team
Good to know, but not relevant
C)Many employees of the consulting firm see travel for business pitches as a perk of the job
This is a good option IMO, because could mean that employees are more willing to perform while on business travel. So the elimination of those trips could hurt the company. It is between C and E
Good to know, but since we don't know any other data, this answer cannot be right
E)Non-verbal communication plays an important role in guiding the presenters of a new business pitch to the areas they should focus most on during the presentation.
IMO E. This is better than C simply because the passage from "no travel" to "hurt the company" is more direct, since answer E says clearly that non-verbal communication "plays an important" in the presentation. So the "physical absence" hurts the company.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 74 [2] , given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eli [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 20:04
This post received
KUDOS
'The company wins 65% of the business it pitches in person'
If above line is correct, e-mail, document, telephone calls would help to get around 35% of total business. I guess this should be more correct. In person pitches means shows practical interaction in front of each other.

Non-verbal communication is also possible with video conferencing. So, this doesn't weaken the in person business model.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 39

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eli [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 22:40
This post received
KUDOS
umeshpatil wrote:
'The company wins 65% of the business it pitches in person'
If above line is correct, e-mail, document, telephone calls would help to get around 35% of total business. I guess this should be more correct. In person pitches means shows practical interaction in front of each other.

Non-verbal communication is also possible with video conferencing. So, this doesn't weaken the in person business model.

Maybe its possible with video conferencing, but the problem only specifies emails, telephones, and document exchange. So confefencng is irrelevant
Expert Post
Followers: 341

Kudos [?]: 2881 [0], given: 708

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eli [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:28
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 166

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eli [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 02:15
Why (D) IS WRONG? anyone to explain more clearly?
Thanks !

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

VP
VP
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 125

Kudos [?]: 1256 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to eli [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2013, 02:25
Practicegmat wrote:
Why (D) IS WRONG? anyone to explain more clearly?
Thanks !

We don't have any data to compare, so the company could win 90% of its pithces on telephone => good idea to cut travels
or could win 10% of its pitches on telephone => bad idea to cut travels

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS

=========
The premise -> the company plans to make cost cutting.
The conclusion -> the source of cost cutting is replacement of business travel (personal meetings) for non-personal communication (email,phone)
The assumption -> the cost cutting should not negatively affect current sales and business volumes; if it does then there is no economic sense in cost cutting.
The answer should - > assure that whether there will be no significant effect in expenses reduction (if travel costs are not significant in the whole cost structure) or there could be loss of some business.
A) As majority of business comes from local transactions, the elimination of travel will not affect volumes of business but reduce the expenses - it strengthens the plans of management.
B) 3 persons for 2 full days sounds like significant expenses and there is great chance (we don't know it precisely) it constitutes significant part of cost structure, so if the firm replaces it for non-personal communication cost cutting will be good, but we do not know how it will affect business sales in general (how many new contracts are gained by those 3 persons during 2 full days ?) - this statement partially strengthen the conclusion.
C) No information about impact on cost structure and current sales levels - neutral.
D) No information what share of those 65% percents are contributed by traveling. Probably, all those 65% are done locally, and traveling is ineffective in terms of new business creation - neutral.
E) It's said that generally non-verbal communication (i.e. travelling) plays significant role in the service level of the consulting firm as its consultant could not emphasize on crucial areas without non-verbal communication and provide value to their clients. So it's implied that business sales of the firm could be negatively affected without travelling; despite the absence of information about cost structure this statement is the only one which weakens the argument at least partially.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 09:50
VadimKlimenko wrote:

=========
The premise -> the company plans to make cost cutting.
The conclusion -> the source of cost cutting is replacement of business travel (personal meetings) for non-personal communication (email,phone)
The assumption -> the cost cutting should not negatively affect current sales and business volumes; if it does then there is no economic sense in cost cutting.
The answer should - > assure that whether there will be no significant effect in expenses reduction (if travel costs are not significant in the whole cost structure) or there could be loss of some business.
A) As majority of business comes from local transactions, the elimination of travel will not affect volumes of business but reduce the expenses - it strengthens the plans of management.
B) 3 persons for 2 full days sounds like significant expenses and there is great chance (we don't know it precisely) it constitutes significant part of cost structure, so if the firm replaces it for non-personal communication cost cutting will be good, but we do not know how it will affect business sales in general (how many new contracts are gained by those 3 persons during 2 full days ?) - this statement partially strengthen the conclusion.
C) No information about impact on cost structure and current sales levels - neutral.
D) No information what share of those 65% percents are contributed by traveling. Probably, all those 65% are done locally, and traveling is ineffective in terms of new business creation - neutral.
E) It's said that generally non-verbal communication (i.e. travelling) plays significant role in the service level of the consulting firm as its consultant could not emphasize on crucial areas without non-verbal communication and provide value to their clients. So it's implied that business sales of the firm could be negatively affected without travelling; despite the absence of information about cost structure this statement is the only one which weakens the argument at least partially.

How does non-verbal communication relate to travel? Please explain.....
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 4

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2013, 04:51
Hi -

Non-verbal is body language - so the sort of thing you can only get in person.

So if you stop travel you stop face to face meetings and hence limit the ability for non verbal communication...

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 12

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 15:07
guerrero25 wrote:

A very good question for people like me who try to read too quickly and miss the most important 'words' of the argument.The argument is about new business pitches. i chose answer choice A that might be more precise if the argument is about current businesses but when we talk about new businesses answer choice A gets knocked out. Now, i eliminated B,C and D. By the time i read E , i was done reading and was too excited to mark the answer choice A and be happy that i finished the question in one minute. But Phew, i was wrong my one minute investment in reading the stimulus, which was easy to understand than most of the RC passages, just resulted to nothing. I got the incorrect answer.

Morale of the story : Read all the answer choices and get the easy questions right!!!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 16:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 58

Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2014, 23:06
plumber250 wrote:
Hi -

Non-verbal is body language - so the sort of thing you can only get in person.

So if you stop travel you stop face to face meetings and hence limit the ability for non verbal communication...

James

Yes, but important doesn't mean that deals fail because it's absent.
On the other hand, D, clearly states that most of the business (65%) is won by person to person.

Also, non verbal can be all kinds of signs, presents, courtships of a new client and so on....

Can anyone explain a little more about D vs E and why my diagnoses is incorrect?
Re: In an attempt to cut costs a consulting firm is going to   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2014, 23:06