Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an attempt to improve the overall performance of clerical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
In an attempt to improve the overall performance of clerical [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 13:15
Discussed in detail at the below mentioned link
in-an-attempt-to-improve-the-overall-performance-of-clerical-59719.html#p430654

In an attempt to improve the overall performance of clerical workers, many companies have introduced computerized performance monitoring and control systems (CPMCS) that record and report a worker’s computer-driven activities. However, at least one study has shown that such monitoring may not be having the desired effect. In the study, researchers asked monitored clerical workers and their supervisors how assessments of productivity affected supervisors’ ratings of workers’ performance. In contrast to unmonitored workers doing the same work, who without exception identified the most important element in their jobs as customer service, the monitored workers and their supervisors all responded that productivity was the critical factor in assigning ratings. This finding suggested that there should have been a strong correlation between a monitored worker’s productivity and the overall rating the worker received. However, measures of the relationship between overall rating and individual elements of performance clearly supported the conclusion that supervisors gave considerable weight to criteria such as attendance, accuracy, and indications of customer satisfaction.
It is possible that productivity may be a “hygiene factor,” that is, if it is too low, it will hurt the overall rating. But the evidence suggests that beyond the point at which productivity becomes “good enough,” higher productivity per se is unlikely to improve a rating.

Which of the following, if true, would most clearly have supported the conclusion referred to in lines 19-21?
(A) Ratings of productivity correlated highly with ratings of both accuracy and attendance.
(B) Electronic monitoring greatly increased productivity.
(C) Most supervisors based overall ratings of performance on measures of productivity alone.
(D) Overall ratings of performance correlated more highly with measures of productivity than the researchers expected.
(E) Overall ratings of performance correlated more highly with measures of accuracy than with measures of productivity.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: RC-Need help :Any tutors out there? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 07:52
Bump
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC-Need help :Any tutors out there? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 10:31
Anyone with explanation?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: In an attempt to improve the overall performance of clerical [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2012, 13:34
This one gave me trouble. I picked A, but I had no reason to do so other than because the other 4 answer choices all seemed to be contradicted by the text. I still don't see why E is correct because it states that the ratings correlate MORE highly with measures of accuracy than with measures of productivity. The text states that the the supervisors gave CONSIDERABLE weight to the other criteria, not more. How is considerable supposed to mean greater than?
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 138

Kudos [?]: 180 [1] , given: 4

Re: In an attempt to improve the overall performance of clerical [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 04:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Roboas,

Let me see if I can help here.....

I think E DOES work because this point provides evidence not provided in the passage, so it makes it stronger. This is what we need.

So whilst in the passage it says 'considerable' E shows us exactly what this means - that accurate workers score higher than productive ones. Thus providing support to the conclusion that productive is not the most important thing.

Hope that helps...

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Re: In an attempt to improve the overall performance of clerical   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2012, 04:02