Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In an experiment involving taste, researchers had

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 06:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:07) correct 50% (01:19) wrong based on 9 sessions
In an experiment involving taste, researchers had participants try two versions of a cola, one regular and another, called “cola extra,” to which a secret ingredient had been added. The researchers found that, when the tasters did not know that the secret ingredient was white vinegar, they preferred “cola extra” by a margin of almost two to one. However, when tasters were told the identity of the secret ingredient before drinking, they preferred the cola without vinegar 98% of the time.

Which of the following, if true, forms the best basis for an explanation of this outcome?

a Most consumers are excited by the possibility of tasting a “secret ingredient” and will always prefer that choice.
b For most consumers, expectation strongly influences the ability to accurately distinguish flavors.
c Most cola drinkers prefer beverages without vinegar, even when they do not know vinegar is present.
d Researchers skewed results by telling participants in the second group what the secret ingredient was.
e The first group of taste testers was disproportionately composed of people who enjoy the taste of vinegar.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 06:27
IMO A
SVP
SVP

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 06:38
Aleehsgonji wrote:
IMO A

try again mate

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 5

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 06:56
I thought about A, but if it is not A, perhaps E :roll:
B talks about ability to distinguish and doesn't gives account for preferance
C the fact that most coca cola drinkers prefer beverages without vinegar, doesn't explain why the group of testers chose cola with vinegar.

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 18

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:03
IMO B. OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:04
B seems correct....
SVP
SVP

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:08
Any more takers?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:25
A is my pick
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:28
(c)
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 15

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 07:30
I go with E or wait may be B no no E ... actually I think it is B .... darn GMAT doesnot allow me to go back and correct my answers :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 4

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 08:33
Another B...whats the OA...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 08:47
one more for B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 11:05
noboru wrote:
In an experiment involving taste, researchers had participants try two versions of a cola, one regular and another, called “cola extra,” to which a secret ingredient had been added. The researchers found that, when the tasters did not know that the secret ingredient was white vinegar, they preferred “cola extra” by a margin of almost two to one. However, when tasters were told the identity of the secret ingredient before drinking, they preferred the cola without vinegar 98% of the time.

Which of the following, if true, forms the best basis for an explanation of this outcome?

a Most consumers are excited by the possibility of tasting a “secret ingredient” and will always prefer that choice.
b For most consumers, expectation strongly influences the ability to accurately distinguish flavors.
c Most cola drinkers prefer beverages without vinegar, even when they do not know vinegar is present.
d Researchers skewed results by telling participants in the second group what the secret ingredient was.
e The first group of taste testers was disproportionately composed of people who enjoy the taste of vinegar.

IMO, B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: white vinegar VOL II [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2009, 16:50
went with A, but you are right, possibility of tasting a secret ingredient does not suggest change in ability to distinguish flavors...i guess B is correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 21:29
yes the OA is B. Today i faced this question in Gmat club test and i also picked the trap ans A.
A : "Always prefer that choice": means tester has given them options : "want to test 'cola' or 'cola extra'" - they will say "why cola!! let's taste cola extra ...sounds really exciting" :drunk ...but this is not at all related to what they will say after testing the same.

B: fills the lacuna in above scenario. clear winner.

Just a request Moderators can u please add the OA in the question
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1390 [1] , given: 122

Re: In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 22:40
This post received
KUDOS
First of all, thanks Noboru for a very good question!

IMO: answer is B.

Analyze the question
According to Power score CR Bible, there's no conclusion here, only facts. Hence, this is the MUST BE TRUE question. If you understand the type of question and how to solve it, that helps you shorten your time.
There are two types of correct answer for must be true question.
- Paraphrase Answers: Restate a portion the stimulus.
- Combination answers, answers that are the sum of two or more stimulus statements.

Apply:
Fact 1: No information about secret ingredient, vinegar, --> consumption of extra cola increases
Fact 2: there's information about vinegar added --> consumers prefer regular cola 98% of the time.
Combine: consumers expect more quality ingredient to be added to "extra cola". when they know the secret ingredient is not superior as they thought, they don't use "extra cola" any more.
It means expectation affects the purchasing decision.
That is exactly stated in B.

Why other four are incorrect.
a Most consumers are excited by the possibility of tasting a “secret ingredient” and will always prefer that choice. - WRONG - because this is exaggerated answer (favorite trap of GMAC)
c Most cola drinkers prefer beverages without vinegar, even when they do not know vinegar is present. - WRONG - because consumers did like extra cola, when they didn't know vinegar was added.
d Researchers skewed results by telling participants in the second group what the secret ingredient was. - WRONG - out of scope
e The first group of taste testers was disproportionately composed of people who enjoy the taste of vinegar - WRONG - out of scope, the question doesn't say about the ratio.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1922

Re: In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 10:06
pqhai wrote:

Analyze the question
According to Power score CR Bible, there's no conclusion here, only facts. Hence, this is the MUST BE TRUE question. If you understand the type of question and how to solve it, that helps you shorten your time.
- Combination answers, answers that are the sum of two or more stimulus statements.

Apply:
Fact 1: No information about secret ingredient, vinegar, --> consumption of extra cola increases
Fact 2: there's information about vinegar added --> consumers prefer regular cola 98% of the time.
Combine: consumers expect more quality ingredient to be added to "extra cola". when they know the secret ingredient is not superior as they thought, they don't use "extra cola" any more.

a Most consumers are excited by the possibility of tasting a “secret ingredient” and will always prefer that choice. - WRONG - because this is exaggerated answer (favorite trap of GMAC)
c Most cola drinkers prefer beverages without vinegar, even when they do not know vinegar is present. - WRONG - because consumers did like extra cola, when they didn't know vinegar was added.
d Researchers skewed results by telling participants in the second group what the secret ingredient was. - WRONG - out of scope
e The first group of taste testers was disproportionately composed of people who enjoy the taste of vinegar - WRONG - out of scope, the question doesn't say about the ratio.

Hope it's clear.

How is this a Must Be True question? The question stem is not even remotely close to that of a Must Be True question. It is closer to a Paradox question, which also is fact-based, than it is to a Must Be True question.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 111

CAT Tests
In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 08:44
pqhai wrote:

Sorry but i don't get your point.
How could this sentence be exaggerated? We have to assume that the option is true, and imho it could perfectly be possible that most of the consumers are excited by a secret ingredient.

Can someone explain me this point?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2014, 02:30
pqhai wrote:

Analyze the question

Apply:

Hope it's clear.

I chose E too.
My question to you is, although the question doesn't say anything about the ratio, it asks which could explain, if true.
And... If true, and the first group of taters love vinegar in a disproportionate ratio, this could very well explain why that same group loved the cola with the extra vinegar...
No?
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 3

In an experiment involving taste, researchers had [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2014, 10:43
oss198 wrote:
Sorry but i don't get your point.
How could this sentence be exaggerated?

You're completely right. Not only does almost every answer choice (all but one wrong answer, D) use 'exaggerated language', but you should expect to see 'exaggerated language' in the right answer - the stem tells us that 98% of the group have a certain preference, so it is certainly true that 'most people' have that preference. There's nothing wrong about using the word 'most' in this situation.

ronr34 wrote:

I chose E too.
My question to you is, although the question doesn't say anything about the ratio, it asks which could explain, if true.
And... If true, and the first group of taters love vinegar in a disproportionate ratio, this could very well explain why that same group loved the cola with the extra vinegar...
No?

This is not a well-worded question, so it's not really worthwhile thinking too much about what answer is correct. A and C contradict the stem, so cannot be right (in A, if 'most' people prefer secret ingredients, a higher proportion would have preferred cola extra in the first experiment). Answer D appears to be true, but does not explain anything, and the question asks for an explanation.

That leaves us with B and E. It's important now to recognize what the question asks - it asks which answer provides the "best basis for an explanation" of the results. There are millions of ways to explain the results - perhaps it is a weird statistical fluke, or perhaps the scientists did not correctly tabulate the results, or perhaps the first group was bribed to answer the question a certain way. None of those seem like very good explanations, though, since we conducted an experiment in two different ways, and got wildly different results. The difference in the two experiments very likely had something to do with that, and our answer should account for that. So while E is one possible explanation, there may be a much more compelling explanation, one that takes the difference in experimental methodology into account.

It seems more likely that expectation influences perception - when people know what they're drinking in advance, that will influence their preferences. So I want an answer choice that says that. But unfortunately B does not say that - it says "expectation strongly influences the ability to accurately distinguish flavors". The experiment has nothing to do with distinguishing flavors - they didn't ask the participants to identify the ingredients in the cola. The experiment is about preferences, and B does nothing to explain why one group actually preferred one cola to the other. So while I prefer B to any other answer choice, I really don't think it's a good answer either.

Real GMAT CR questions are more precisely worded than this one, and the right answer will generally be more 'airtight' than here, so I wouldn't worry about it if you don't completely agree with the OA here.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

In an experiment involving taste, researchers had   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2014, 10:43