Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 21:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 18:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

77% (02:15) correct 23% (02:17) wrong based on 0 sessions
In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C., wheat was cultivated in considerable quantities, but After 2900B.C., production of that grain began to decline as the production of barley increased sharply.Some historians who study ancient Mesopotamia content that the decline in wheat production was due to excessive irrigation, lack of drainage, and the consequent accumulation of salt residues in the soil.

Which one of the following, if true, most help to support the historian's contention concerning the reasons for the decline in wheat production in ancient Mesopotamia?
A) The cultivation of barley requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat.
B) Barley has much greater resistance to the presence of salt in soil than does wheat.
C) Prior to 2900 B.C., barley was cultivated along with wheat, but the amount of barley produced was far less than the amount of wheat produced.
D) Around 2900 B.C., a series of wheat blights occurred, destroying much of the wheat crop year after year.
E) Literary and archaeological evidence indicates that in the period following 2900B.C., barley became the principal grain in the diet of most of the inhabitants of Mesopotamia.

OA to follow....

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Last edited by joshnsit on 28 Dec 2013, 02:09, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 21:13
i agree .....straight B).......

If you shut your door to all errors, truth will be shut out.

GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 4

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 07:05
Hi Josh,

This is a pretty simple one.

The paragraph states that after 2900 Wheat production declined and barley production rose

It says the reason for that is the high salt in the soil.

Question is then which answer strengthens.

B states that barley is better at growing in soil with more salt. This is clear support for the explanation as to why wheat went down and barley went up.

Thus B is correct.

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 46

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 07:52
my assessment is as follows-

A) The cultivation of barley requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat. IRRELEVANT...ANYWAY then why did barley grow better...after water increased?
B) Barley has much greater resistance to the presence of salt in soil than does wheat. Correct... Supports the fact that Salt could have affected wheat production...
C) Prior to 2900 B.C., barley was cultivated along with wheat, but the amount of barley produced was far less than the amount of wheat produced.IRRELEVANT
D) Around 2900 B.C., a series of wheat blights occurred, destroying much of the wheat crop year after year. weakener.... gives alternate cause...
E) Literary and archaeological evidence indicates that in the period following 2900B.C., barley became the principal grain in the diet of most of the inhabitants of Mesopotamia. [color=#ed1c24]irrelevant[/color]
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 10:27
Why is C wrong?

I think C states that wheat and barley grew together but production of wheat was greater than barley. So some other factors must have made the increase in barley productivity. All the causes are stated in the argument.

In B only one such example is brought forward that is "resistance of barley to salt in the soil"

I think C is better suited. Correct me if i am wrong
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1182 [0], given: 118

Premium Member
Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 16:27
sayansarkar wrote:
Why is C wrong?

I think C states that wheat and barley grew together but production of wheat was greater than barley. So some other factors must have made the increase in barley productivity. All the causes are stated in the argument.

In B only one such example is brought forward that is "resistance of barley to salt in the soil"

I think C is better suited. Correct me if i am wrong

Hello sayansarkar

I'm glad to help. Your reasoning for C is incorrect because you did not determine a correct conclusion.

Conclusion is: the decline in wheat production was due to excessive irrigation, lack of drainage, and the consequent accumulation of salt residues in the soil.

To strengthen the conclusion, you need to demonstrate why those reasons above made the production of wheat decline. B clearly states that wheat couldn't grow in high salt soil but barley could do so --> Clearly, B strengthens the conclusion.

C, however, just shows that other factors made the increase in barley production. I absolutely agree wth you this point. But are you sure factors making the increase of barley production were the same as those making the decline of wheat production. Absolutely not. They might or might not be. Thus, C can't strengthen the conclusion.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 19:56
semwal wrote:

A) The cultivation of barley requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat. IRRELEVANT...ANYWAY then why did barley grow better...after water increased?
B) Barley has much greater resistance to the presence of salt in soil than does wheat. Correct... Supports the fact that Salt could have affected wheat production...
C) Prior to 2900 B.C., barley was cultivated along with wheat, but the amount of barley produced was far less than the amount of wheat produced.IRRELEVANT
D) Around 2900 B.C., a series of wheat blights occurred, destroying much of the wheat crop year after year. weakener.... gives alternate cause...
E) Literary and archaeological evidence indicates that in the period following 2900B.C., barley became the principal grain in the diet of most of the inhabitants of Mesopotamia. [color=#ed1c24]irrelevant[/color]
Good break-down. I was confused between b/c/d, though with selection of B initially. Realized D as clear weakener with semwal's comments.

@sayansarkar,
If Barley production was 100Qunitals and wheat production was 1Quintal, then argument for Barley growth and Wheat decline holds.
If Barley production was 1Qunital and wheat production was 100Quintals, then also argument for Barley growth and Wheat decline still holds.
I just realized that because relative production will never impact the force of this argument, so statement C really doesn't matter much and thus becomes irrelevant. Hope this solves your predicament on C.

OA is B

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 07:54
semwal wrote:

Hi Sir can you please suggest me why option A is incorrect as one of the reason for stopping wheat cultivation was excessive irrifgation required so if barley required less water than y not A...I am confused between A and B...Please help
Intern
Intern

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 07:57
semwal wrote:

Hi Sir
I think even A is related to the conclusion and strengthing it since we know that conclusion states taht excessive irrigation was also a cause to stop wheat cultivation so probably barley requires less water and so its cultivation is being done...i am confused between A and B...B looks equally covincing...Please help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 46

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 18:25
AnmolKukreja wrote:
semwal wrote:

Hi Sir
I think even A is related to the conclusion and strengthing it since we know that conclusion states taht excessive irrigation was also a cause to stop wheat cultivation so probably barley requires less water and so its cultivation is being done...i am confused between A and B...B looks equally covincing...Please help

ANMOL
THE DECLINE OF WHEAT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE IRRIGATION , POOR DRAINAGE AND CONSEQUENT SALT FORMATION IN SOIL( NOT CONDUSIVE TO WHEAT GROWTH).
"A" says " The cultivation of barley requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat. "
The stimulus says "wheat production declined due to excessive irrigation------ amongst other causes"---- means other crop did well as it could sustain those conditons so that even while wheat production declined the other crop production increased.....
BUT "A" SAYS SOMETHING ELSE--- that barley also needs less water like wheat----then why did barley production increase. As per this, there may be other cause for wheat reduction and barley increase... AND NOT EXCESSIVE IRRIGATION!!!! But this breaks down the conclusion and therefore is a weakener rather than a strengthner......

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE.............
Intern
Intern

Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 04:54
semwal wrote:
AnmolKukreja wrote:
semwal wrote:

Hi Sir

ANMOL
THE DECLINE OF WHEAT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE IRRIGATION , POOR DRAINAGE AND CONSEQUENT SALT FORMATION IN SOIL( NOT CONDUSIVE TO WHEAT GROWTH).
"A" says " The cultivation of barley requires considerably less water than does the cultivation of wheat. "
The stimulus says "wheat production declined due to excessive irrigation------ amongst other causes"---- means other crop did well as it could sustain those conditons so that even while wheat production declined the other crop production increased.....
BUT "A" SAYS SOMETHING ELSE--- that barley also needs less water like wheat----then why did barley production increase. As per this, there may be other cause for wheat reduction and barley increase... AND NOT EXCESSIVE IRRIGATION!!!! But this breaks down the conclusion and therefore is a weakener rather than a strengthner......

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE.............

Thanks for your reply but i am still confused....if wheat was production is declined as it requires more water ,and if barley requires less water then why cant A be responsible for barleys' rise in production...could not follow you...it would be great if you could explain again specifically
Re: In ancient Mesopotamia, prior to 2900 B.C -- Strengthen   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 04:54