Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:36
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 11:24
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the
creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that
enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of
Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that
enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of
Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they
were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of
Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which
they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

I have looked through several posts on the internet, but I still fail to undertand this question. Can someone break down each individual Answer Choice and also state why the Answer is not E.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 16:37
That is an awesome post Thank You So Much!!. The one thing I do not get is the use of "in which they are enshrined". Is this grammatically correct?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:42
Thank you for taking the time to post this. The question and procedure you shared are literally amazing. I will go through and review some material on subordinate clauses and relative clauses as well!
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 08:46
Expert's post
Mike’s explanation is damn good. However, if you are in a rapid fire round in the Test, then perhaps the following short work strategy might be handy

This is essentially a test of //ism, and then perhaps style; but I am not sure about the idiom part of ‘expend for’ or ‘expend on’ as according to the freedictionaty.com ‘expend for’, ‘expend on’ and ‘expend in’ are all usable (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/expend)

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them – wrong because of the un//ism of “creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated”

B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined – ‘expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of’ ---Correct //ism

C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration--- wrong //ism

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them—wrong becos ‘and also’ is redundant; additionally the meaning is changed in that creating images accounted for 1. The creative energy 2. constructing and 3. decorating

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them--- wrong because of altered intent as in D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 24

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 12:42
Correct answer would be B. Parallelism
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2012, 07:11
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this. :)

Original sentence: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

First of all, notice the idiom with the verb "to expend." When I expend my energies, with the intended result of giving my energy to X, we say that "I expend my energies on X", not "I expend my energies for X." That eliminates answer choice A.

Notice also, what the original sentence is trying to do is construct a valid parallel structure. The "local artisan's creative energy" went to two places: (a) "creation of Buddha images", and (b) the work they did constructing & decorating temples. The correct sentence should have a valid parallel structure between those two elements. This is another flaw of answer (A) --- "the creation" vs. "they constructed and decorated". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (C) repeats that problem: "the creation" vs. "constructing and decorating". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (E) repeats that problem: "the creating" vs. "construction and decoration". Not parallel. :-(

That narrows the choice down to (B) vs. (D).

Notice that (D) is very wordy; it has an indirect inactive structure (from "artisans expended energy on X", active, to "X accounted for artisans energy", passive and weak). :-(

(B) gets the idiom ("expended on") correct; it gets the parallel structure correct; and it's a direct & active formulation of the information. Yeah! This is our best choice. :)

Does that made sense? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)

Mike,
Can you explain Choice E ? I thought' for much of'and 'construction and decoration of' are parallel.:( ..
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.56

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 134

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 01:55
mikemcgarry wrote:
farukqmul wrote:
Mike,
Can you explain Choice E ? I thought 'for much of' and 'construction and decoration of' are parallel.:( ..

Here's the original prompt with choice (E)
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

Let's plug in choice (E) and look at the sentence:
In ancient Thailand, the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Superficially, the terms "creative energy" and "construction and decoration" are all nouns, so they could be grammatically parallel. The problem is: they are not logically parallel.

Consider the overall structure:

X accounted for Y as well as Z

means

X accounted for Y
and, separately, X accounted for Z

Consider that here:
the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy
and, separately,
the creating of Buddha images accounted for the construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

That's not the meaning the original sentence is trying to express. What is it trying to say is that ----
the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy
and, separately,
the construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy

We are trying to create a parallelism between the three types of work, each of which occupied the creative energy of the artisans. Those three types of work were
(a) the creating of Buddha images
(b) the construction of the temples
(c) the decoration of the temples

Logically, those three need to be in parallel, and they are not in (E). It's not enough to have superficial grammatical parallelism if that parallelism does not reflect the deeper logic of the situation. Grammar and logic must always point to the same conclusions.

You may find this blog germane:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... n-english/

Does all this make sense? Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Mike :-)

Thanks a lot for this great explanation Mike ...:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 99

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 01:19
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A) much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
(B) much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
(C) much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
(E) the creation of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Last edited by Zarrolou on 30 May 2013, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 22

Re: need to clarify!! [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 01:25
Pronoun "them" is ambigous in E.
"in which" refers to temple.

From one of grammar learning website:- "You can use “in which” as a precise way to introduce a relative clause after a noun that refers to a place or to a time."

Please give a kudo if you like my reply.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 25

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 12:07
B is the correct answer.
IMO C is not parallel.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.04
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 21:44
skamal7 wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative
energy was expended for the creation of Buddha
images and when they constructed and decorated the
temples that enshrined them
A) much of the local artisans’ creative energy was
expended for the creation of Buddha images and
when they constructed and decorated the
(B) much of the local artisans’ creative energy was
expended on the creation of Buddha images and
on construction and decoration of the temples in
which they were enshrined
(C) much of the local artisans’ creative energy was
expended on the creation of Buddha images as
well as constructing and decoration of the
temples in which they were enshrined
(D) creating images of Buddha accounted for much
of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also
constructing and decorating the temples
enshrining them
(E) the creation of Buddha images accounted for
much of the local artisans’ creative energy as
well as construction and decoration of the

Please make me clarify
1. what's wrong with E
2.In C which refers to what

Thanks in advance

How can option C be right? "expended on...." and "constructing and decorating..." are not parallel. I believe, option B is correct. Moreover, option B uses "and" instead of "as well as", which makes it concise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 103

CAT Tests
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 22:46
OA should be B. Please recheck.

E should be constructing and decorating.
C is wrong for the same reason.

B does not use "as well as" , the conjunction "and" perfectly joins two parallel clauses.

http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/usage/as-well-as.htm
http://www.perfectyourenglish.com/usage ... rammar.htm

Note the difference between the following structures.

She sings as well as writing plays. (= She not only sings but also writes plays.)
She sings as well as she writes plays. (= Her writing is as good as her singing.)

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 276

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 01:37
rishi2377 wrote:

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

what does 'them' refer to. To me 'them' here can refer both 'Buddha images' and 'local artisans’ . OA to follow.

I agree that B is the best answer. I was trying to analyze D. D is not a run-on sentence. Maybe there is a pronoun ambiguity at the end of the sentence.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 1167 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 08:59
Expert's post
IMO, in any of the choices, the pronoun- they or them - doesn’t constitute a critical issue, since after all, one can only enshrine images and not artisans. But in D the problem is more serious. Not only the non-use of the preposition ‘for’ misses the required //ism, but also the meaning gets totally changed; D amounts to saying that creating images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy and the same creating images accounted for constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them. It is indeed a fragment, not a run-on, since in the second part, the compound subject, -- constructing and decorating (both gerunds) is lacking a verb.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 70

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 21:08
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please read and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 20:27
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the
creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that
enshrined them.

enshrined them

were enshrined

they were enshrined

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

can someone help me in explain what "that" refers in option E and what 'which" refers to in option B
and please explain why you eliminate each options!

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Last edited by Zarrolou on 30 May 2013, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 21:17
skamal7 wrote:
enshrined them.

enshrined them

were enshrined

they were enshrined

can someone help me in explain what "that" refers in option E and what 'which" refers to in option B
and please explain why you eliminate each options!

A----- much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of
enshrined them-------------parallelism not followed while considering creation.... (decorated/ constructed is not the correct parallelism here)

B---much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of
were enshrined -------Parallelism followed correct choice

C---much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of
they were enshrined ---incorrect for the same reason

D---creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them --- PARALLEL BUT NOT PROPERLY CONSTRUCTED, passive voice is not given a priority in gmat!

E---the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them ---incorrect because of passive voice and unparallel structure!

IMO B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 21:26
In my IMO ,I dont belive in the logic that passive voices are not preferred in GMAT .As i have seen many answer choices which uses passive voice as right answer!!

The word " enshrining them" in oprion D ,does that makes sense? Use of +ing form modfies temples only where the intended meaning of the sentence modifies the whole phrase..Is that an error in option D?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 22:42
Here which is not preceded by a comma!!!
so it will be considered as an essential modifier right?Can someone shed light on this?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 23:20
there is no hard-and-fast rule that 'which' needs to preceded by comma, even though in most cases you will find which is precedded by comma.
----
there are few erros in this question stem.

1.) when-- there is no reference of time. creation is noun and looking for anohter noun to be in parallel. between which and that...that is used where we are talking about some essential qualities... except 'b' no other opitons take care of these issues..hence b
Re: Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated   [#permalink] 29 May 2013, 23:20