Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 12:48
Expert's post
"they" is "Buddha images", as should be clear from context.
two things:
* "local artisans" is technically not a possible antecedent for this pronoun, since it's possessive. (you technically can't use a non-possessive pronoun to refer to a possessive noun. the reverse is NOT true - you can totally use possessive pronouns to refer to non-possessive nouns.)
* even if this pronoun were technically ambiguous, that's not a reason to eliminate it. see here: post35595.html#p35595

by the way, it's weird that you would ask this question about (b) in particular - because exactly the same pronoun is used in exactly the same context in your other choice, (c). did you notice that?

Regards,

S

Consider +1 KUDOS if you find this post useful

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 21:24
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this. :)

Original sentence: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

First of all, notice the idiom with the verb "to expend." When I expend my energies, with the intended result of giving my energy to X, we say that "I expend my energies on X", not "I expend my energies for X." That eliminates answer choice A.

Notice also, what the original sentence is trying to do is construct a valid parallel structure. The "local artisan's creative energy" went to two places: (a) "creation of Buddha images", and (b) the work they did constructing & decorating temples. The correct sentence should have a valid parallel structure between those two elements. This is another flaw of answer (A) --- "the creation" vs. "they constructed and decorated". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (C) repeats that problem: "the creation" vs. "constructing and decorating". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (E) repeats that problem: "the creating" vs. "construction and decoration". Not parallel. :-(

That narrows the choice down to (B) vs. (D).

Notice that (D) is very wordy; it has an indirect inactive structure (from "artisans expended energy on X", active, to "X accounted for artisans energy", passive and weak). :-(

(B) gets the idiom ("expended on") correct; it gets the parallel structure correct; and it's a direct & active formulation of the information. Yeah! This is our best choice. :)

Does that made sense? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)

hey Mike,,

Can we eliminate A on the ground of "when" ?
D and E for the verb-ING modifier at the beginning which has no subject and then choose between B and C?

i also did not understand the ll structure that you have refered ..Could you please explain that again

Regards,

S

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 02:14
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
D and E for the verb-ING modifier at the beginning which has no subject and then choose between B and C?

Actually the way "verb-ING modifier" is used in D and E, it is a "gerund" (a Noun form) and so, this itself is a subject (and hence does not require any subject). For example:

Swimming is my hobby.

Here the "verb-ING modifier" swimming is a "gerund", a Noun form, and as is evident, it is also the subject.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2271 [0], given: 31

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 12:55
Expert's post
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
hey Mike,

i also did not understand the ll structure that you have referred ..Could you please explain that again

Dear WaterFlowsUp,
I'm happy to respond. BTW, I like your paradoxical screenname. :-)

Question #1: yes, choice (A) is a trainwreck on a number of grounds. The "when" clause is a blatant violation of parallelism, so that's just as good a reason to reject it as is the idiom mistake.

Questions #2: the "-ing" form of a verb has three potential roles
(a) part of a present progressive verb
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/
(b) a participle (i.e. a modifier)
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle ... -the-gmat/
(c) a gerund (which acts as a noun)
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
In choice (D) the word "creating" is a gerund, and in fact, the gerund phrase "creating images of Buddha" is the subject of the verb "accounted".
This post discusses distinguishing these three easy-to-confuse grammatical constructions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-ing-form-of-a-verb/

Questions #3: because the parallelism is faulty in many of the incorrect choices, I will diagram the parallelism in choice (B), the OA. First, here's the whole sentence:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
Now, an attempt at a clear diagram ----
(main clause of sentence:) In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended
(first branch of parallelism:) on the creation of Buddha images
(conjunction linking the two parallel branches:) and
(second branch of the parallelism:) on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

Both branches of the parallelism begin with the preposition "on", and the words in dark green are the parallel words. Notice, all three here are "-tion" nouns, whereas in incorrect answer choices, some are "-tion" noun while others are gerunds or phrases.

Does this make everything clear and answer all of your questions?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 23:18
Expert's post
thanks MIke, i usually follow a lot of your posts, especially og solutions...

Regards,

S

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 00:05
Expert's post
mikemcgarry wrote:
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
hey Mike,

i also did not understand the ll structure that you have referred ..Could you please explain that again

Dear WaterFlowsUp,
I'm happy to respond. BTW, I like your paradoxical screenname. :-)

Question #1: yes, choice (A) is a trainwreck on a number of grounds. The "when" clause is a blatant violation of parallelism, so that's just as good a reason to reject it as is the idiom mistake.

Questions #2: the "-ing" form of a verb has three potential roles
(a) part of a present progressive verb
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-verbs ... ive-tense/
(b) a participle (i.e. a modifier)
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle-phrases

-on-the-gmat/
(c) a gerund (which acts as a noun)
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/
In choice (D) the word "creating" is a gerund, and in fact, the gerund phrase "creating images of Buddha" is the subject of the verb "accounted".
This post discusses distinguishing these three easy-to-confuse grammatical constructions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-ing-form-of-a-verb/

Questions #3: because the parallelism is faulty in many of the incorrect choices, I will diagram the parallelism in choice (B), the OA. First, here's the whole sentence:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
Now, an attempt at a clear diagram ----
(main clause of sentence:) In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended
(first branch of parallelism:) on the creation of Buddha images
(conjunction linking the two parallel branches:) and
(second branch of the parallelism:) on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

Both branches of the parallelism begin with the preposition "on", and the words in dark green are the parallel words. Notice, all three here are "-tion" nouns, whereas in incorrect answer choices, some are "-tion" noun while others are gerunds or phrases.

Does this make everything clear and answer all of your questions?
Mike :-)

mike, i am not sure but i assume D is grammatically correct and conveys the correct meaning? correct me if i am mistaken

Regards,

S

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 00:32
nakib77 wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

I would like to know that in option D creating illogically modifies Thailand implying thailand is creating images of buddha?
and also constructing and decorating does the same thing?

Thanks
Abid.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2014, 08:02
No, in D, the fragment of the sentence before the comma just provides the context ("where" things happened).
Without the comma, you could argue that creating is modifying Thailand. The comma provides the needed separation.
"Constructing" and "decorating" also do not modify "Thailand."

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 16:19

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them- EXPENEDED ON IS CORRECT IDIOM, NOT PARALLEL
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined CORRECT- CREATION, CONSTRUCTION, DECORATION- PARALLEL
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined NOT PARALLEL
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them COMPLEX
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them NOT PARALLEL
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 51

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 01:37
Although I got this answer correct, but this no way looks like an easy question to be marked a low on difficulty.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 43

Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2014, 01:51
It depends. Easy for someone who knows POE and parallelism.
Re: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2014, 01:51