Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 13:10
E is passive
B looks like it is the better of the rest
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - SET 23 Q41 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 22:46
bkk145 wrote:
singh_amit19 wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

I picked E.....please explain why it is WRONG!

This one I don't see anything right :(
Someone explain...

agree
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2007, 06:37
I say B
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 0

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2008, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 17:48

what does 'them' refer to. To me 'them' here can refer both 'Buddha images' and 'local artisans’ . OA to follow.
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: ancient pronoun problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 17:58
rishi2377 wrote:

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them -> out since and when is unidiomatic
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined -> correct -> correct use of parallelism on the creation and on constuction and THEY refers to nearest noun buddha images
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined -> not parallel
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them -> does not end and forms a running sentence
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them -> creating images acc for energy and construction is wrong changes meaning i.e,gives wrong meaning

what does 'them' refer to. To me 'them' here can refer both 'Buddha images' and 'local artisans’ . OA to follow.

IMO B.
Them in the options will refer to nearest noun preceding them,
In A them refers to Buddha images

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: ancient pronoun problem [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 18:00
rishi2377 wrote:

(B) for me, as its parallel. They clearly refers to Buddha images.

'Them' refers to the Buddha images that were enshrined in temples

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: ancient pronoun problem [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:57
OA is B thx guys.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: ancient pronoun problem [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:21
rishi2377 wrote:

Them clearly Buddha images..
local artisans’ --> posseive case.. we can't refer back to Subject/ oBject pronoun..

only B.looks good.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 05:38

Although this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find one response from those threads that satisfied my issue. First of all, the OA is B. However, how come there is no confusion between "they" and "Buddha images"? Because "they" could also refer to "construction and decoration" since this is a compound noun. so can someone provide a grammatical explanation to this issue? I will highly appreciate it. And what is exactly wrong with the other answer choices?

Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:13
tarek99 wrote:

Although this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find one response from those threads that satisfied my issue. First of all, the OA is B. However, how come there is no confusion between "they" and "Buddha images"? Because "they" could also refer to "construction and decoration" since this is a compound noun. so can someone provide a grammatical explanation to this issue? I will highly appreciate it. And what is exactly wrong with the other answer choices?

Thanks!

also go for B as it is the best among the availables, however it is also not much clear and gramatically correct. Since gmat looks for the best among the available, therefore it is B.

for me "they" in B doesnot clearly refers to the images of Bhddha.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 07:19
GMAT TIGER wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

also go for B as it is the best among the availables, however it is also not much clear and gramatically correct. Since gmat looks for the best among the available, therefore it is B.

Also,

much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

parallelism is good here.
much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on Some X and Some Y.

here any pronoun used in Noun phrase X or Y is directly refer to main clause.
So they does not refer to images of Buddha.

my question is how they refer to possessive subject. This is not correct according to GMAT.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 08:23
chan4312 wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

Also,

much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

parallelism is good here.
much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on Some X and Some Y.

here any pronoun used in Noun phrase X or Y is directly refer to main clause.
So they does not refer to images of Buddha.

my question is how they refer to possessive subject. This is not correct according to GMAT.

"they" doesnot refer to possessive subject (much of the local artisans’ creative energy) becasue it (possessive subject) is a singular. The problem is how "they" refers to "images of Buddha" where as there are TWO PLURAL NOUNS.

"Much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined".

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 09:40
The sentence is about ellipsis construction (parallelism) and modifier issue.
Introductory modifier phrase modifies (In ancient Thailand) needs to modify local artisans’ not the creating of – eliminate D and E

Among remaining choices: B is clear - here elliptical phrase” much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended” Without elliptical order sentence probably looks like:

[much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended] on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and [much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended ]decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined

B is better than A: because “they” should logically refer “local artisans’] but refers images
B is better than C: because Participle and Noun combination is not parallel

Answer: B
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 11:10
x2suresh wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

It is ambigous what "they" refers?
local artisans' -- possesive plural noun and can't refer with subject pronoun or object pronoun.
it looks like "they" refers to --"Buddha images"
--> Buddha images constructed and decorated the temples -- so this sentence wrong.

here "they" clearly refer to "Buddha images"

energy was expended on X and on Y -- PARALLEL

construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
--> construction and decoration of the temples in which "BUDDHA IMAGES were enshrined (SOUNDS PERFECT)

-- Tarek99,
Noun of (Object)
N (noun) = construction and decoration
o (object)= the temples in which they were enshrined

Object of proposition. ---> any pronouns in the object will not refer the that noun (N).

energy was expended on X as well as Y
X and Y are not parallel creation not|| constructing.

-
Distorts the original meaning.

Thanks!

comments welcome

According to your comment, pronouns in the object do not refer to the noun. However, "they" is NOT an object pronoun, but rather a subject pronoun. I'll show you the difference:

1) They called John---> "They" is a subject pronoun.

2) John called them---> "them" is an object pronoun.

"They" can never be used as an object because it is a subject pronoun. So how come the subject pronoun "they" is referring to "Buddha images", which is an object of the prepositional phrase??
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 13:55
Any idea why D and E is wrong? How does it distort the meaning?
VP
VP
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 16:03
tarek99 wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

It is ambigous what "they" refers?
local artisans' -- possesive plural noun and can't refer with subject pronoun or object pronoun.
it looks like "they" refers to --"Buddha images"
--> Buddha images constructed and decorated the temples -- so this sentence wrong.

--> construction and decoration of the temples in which "BUDDHA IMAGES were enshrined (SOUNDS PERFECT)

-- Tarek99,
Noun of (Object)

Object of proposition. ---> any pronouns in the object will not refer the that noun (N).

energy was expended on X as well as Y
X and Y are not parallel creation not|| constructing.

-

Thanks!

comments welcome

According to your comment, pronouns in the object do not refer to the noun. However, "they" is NOT an object pronoun, but rather a subject pronoun. I'll show you the difference:

1) They called John---> "They" is a subject pronoun.

2) John called them---> "them" is an object pronoun.

"They" can never be used as an object because it is a subject pronoun. So how come the subject pronoun "they" is referring to "Buddha images", which is an object of the prepositional phrase??

Very good Q. I wish I had an answer but here is what you can identify and possibly get away with. When ever you see a pronoun common in all answer choices,GMAT is not worried about it.

That aside, I want to know the answer to your Q.

BFN,

D & E have modifier issue and also energy is expended on is the correct construct.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 17:44
hanumayamma wrote:
B is better than A: because “they” should logically refer “local artisans’] but refers images

Pronoun is also the nightmare for me, but "they" can not refer to "local artisans'", hanumayamma.

However,

x2suresh wrote:

-- Tarek99,
Noun of (Object)

X2suresh,

if "they" clearly refer to "Buddha images", "they" must also refer to "temples"

comments welcomed

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs 2011

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2009, 20:55
tarek99 wrote:

Thanks!

A. expended on should be used, not when
B. OK, keep it as a candidate
C. constructing and decoration is incorrect. It should be 'constructing and decorating'
D. Sentence doe snot flow well. The second part of the sentence is not tied properly to the first
E. 'the creating' is not a correct phrase. It should be 'the creation'

By elimination, only B remains
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Very confusing [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2009, 12:06
when I read the question stem, I immediately noticed the mistake (expended for creation and lack of parallelism).
would have much preferred expended in as opposed to on.
Still went with B.
Any comments on the appropriate use expended in or expended on?
x-ALI-x wrote:
My answer is B

-----------------------
tusharvk

Re: SC: Very confusing   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2009, 12:06