Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2005, 05:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans' creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 659 [0], given: 6

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 08:37
Expert's post
sbsharma wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

A simple approach to help you answer this question in <20 seconds is to recognize awkwardness with "expended for" and look for other answer choices with other options. I highlighted the important parts above.

Scanning down, I see (B) and (C) have "expended on"--which is what we want so I examine these two further.

In (C), "as well as" is a keyword so I look to the left and to the right.
On the left, "the creation of" is inconsistent with "constructing and decoration of."

Did (B) have this issue?
In (B), the keyword is "and."
On the left we have "the creation of"---which is consistent with "construction and decoration of"

So based on just these clues, I am already inclined to say (B).

After quickly browsing the other answer choices, I was able to conclude with (B).

Notice how I didn't read most of the question and most of the answer choices--just focused on important parts.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1599 [0], given: 249

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 09:41
Expert's post
The shortest and most definite clue is to look for the //ism of ‘on creation and on construction and decoration’; this structure is there only in B and therefore is the choice. It couldn't get quicker than this.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 17:00
seekmba wrote:
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them --> makes no sense
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined --> parallel and 'they' correctly refers to 'Buddha Images'. 'expended on' is the correct idiom.
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined --> not parallel
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them --> awkward
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them --> not parallel and awkward

Thanks 8-)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 04:29
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

a) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
b) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
c) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
d) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisan's creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
e) the creation of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisan's creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

I went with E, let me know your thoughts and which one is correct and why?

Thanks
Vivek
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 290 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Another Parallelism [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 05:55
Read this :

sc-very-confusing-68519.html

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: Another Parallelism [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 07:26
I chose B as well, although I agree about the issue of *they* in B.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Another Parallelism [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 08:39
Expert's post
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them

a) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them : expended of Buddha is unidiomatic; expended on is the correct idiom.

b) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - maintains //ism on all necessary counters and hence is the correct answer.

The basic tenet of //ism in two-part clauses is that, both the arms should be // in from and function. C, D, and E fail to do that precisely

c) much of the local artisans' creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined : ‘On the creation of’ should be matched by ‘on constructing of’ ( a gerund) and ‘on decoration of’

d) creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisan's creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them: ‘creating images of’ should be matched by ‘constructing of and decorating of; ‘accounted for’ should be matched by and ‘also for constructing and decorating’

e) the creation of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisan's creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them: ‘creation of’ should be matched by ‘construction of’; in addition, E changes the meaning that the creation of Buddha images accounted for both the creative energy and (the construction and decoration); also ‘accounted for’ should be matched by ‘as well as for’

Logically, what can ‘they’ refer to in B and C? Can ‘they’ refer to artisans? Can the artists or for that matter can the the construction and decorations be enshrined in a temple?

I think the pronoun reference of ‘they’ is not an issue here.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 07:42
|| - creation...construction...decoration...

Yeahhh Buddeh
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2011, 17:59
+1 for B.

A Classic parallelism Problem.

Crick
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2011, 07:43
Quote:
A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

Parallelism, illogical antecedent for pronoun, idiom: expend.
First things first. Parallelism demands creation, construction and decoration as the ideas are logically parallel.
A - expended for is unidiomatic. expended on is correct usage. Also, note the subtle pronoun issue. Here the noun is local artisans' creative energy. NOTE THAT local artisans' is a possessive noun which actually acts as an adjective here. Hence, it CANNOT act as an antecedent of the pronoun 'they' in they conctructed. They constructed here would refer to Buddha Images as it is the only noun that can act as an antecedent. This makes NO SENSE meaning-wise. Also, the verbs are parallel.
B - Correct choice. the nouns creation, construction and decoration are parallel. The pronoun issue is resolved by making the sentence passive tense that does not need a pronoun. The pronoun them correctly refers to Buddha images.
C - creation, constructing and decoration are not parallel. There are no other issues here. Pronoun issue is resolved and expended on is correct idiom.
D - here, parallelism is taken care of. However, note the change in meaning. the meaning of the sentence becomes creating of Buddha images accounted for local artisans' creative energy, and constructing and decorating the temples! does this make sense? hell no!
E - Same meaning issue as in D. this sentence is parallel.

Take-away : Though the important words in a sentence may be correctly parallel, the sentence's meaning is altered at times to make the error subtle. Don't fall for the trap :)

Hope this post helps! :)
Your kudos will let me know.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2011, 00:07
expend on is the correct idiom.. So it's either B or C. C is not parallel.

B it is..

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 00:20
For choice E, any specific requirement on the usage of "as well as"? Strict parallelism is required for the structure "A as well as B"?
Thanks..
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 01:05
B the best one :)

Working towards a goal...
V.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 15:34
I picked B. Parallelism at its best.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans creative [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 11:24
In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the
creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that
enshrined them.

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of
Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that
enshrined them
B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of
Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they
were enshrined
C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of
Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which
they were enshrined
D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them
E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative
energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them

I have looked through several posts on the internet, but I still fail to undertand this question. Can someone break down each individual Answer Choice and also state why the Answer is not E.

Thanks!
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2112 [5] , given: 30

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, there! I'm happy to help with this. :)

Original sentence: In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them.

First of all, notice the idiom with the verb "to expend." When I expend my energies, with the intended result of giving my energy to X, we say that "I expend my energies on X", not "I expend my energies for X." That eliminates answer choice A.

Notice also, what the original sentence is trying to do is construct a valid parallel structure. The "local artisan's creative energy" went to two places: (a) "creation of Buddha images", and (b) the work they did constructing & decorating temples. The correct sentence should have a valid parallel structure between those two elements. This is another flaw of answer (A) --- "the creation" vs. "they constructed and decorated". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (C) repeats that problem: "the creation" vs. "constructing and decorating". Not parallel. :-(

Answer (E) repeats that problem: "the creating" vs. "construction and decoration". Not parallel. :-(

That narrows the choice down to (B) vs. (D).

Notice that (D) is very wordy; it has an indirect inactive structure (from "artisans expended energy on X", active, to "X accounted for artisans energy", passive and weak). :-(

(B) gets the idiom ("expended on") correct; it gets the parallel structure correct; and it's a direct & active formulation of the information. Yeah! This is our best choice. :)

Does that made sense? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 16:37
That is an awesome post Thank You So Much!!. The one thing I do not get is the use of "in which they are enshrined". Is this grammatically correct?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2112 [2] , given: 30

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 18:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Yes, the phrase "in which they are enshrined" is 100% grammatically correct. This is a properly constructed subordinate clause. Subordinate clauses (a.k.a dependent clause) are a HUGE topic on GMAT --- I would suggest consulting whatever review materials you are using.

Very briefly, if this clause were a stand-by-itself independent clause, it would be "they are enshrined in the temples."

Now, consider the ending of the last big sentence, with this piece as a separate sentence.

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples. They [the Buddha images] are enshrined in the temples.

That's very wordy, which is why folks use subordinate clauses. The rule is:
(a) find the word that will be the anchor, the referent, in the big sentence. Here, that word is "temples."
(b) replace that word in the smaller second sentence with "which": "They were enshrined in which."
(c) Now put the "which" and anything attached to it (here, the preposition "in") at the very beginning of the clause, so it's right next to the anchor word in the original sentence:

In ancient Thailand, much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined.

Does that make sense? Again, if you are unfamiliar with the the idea of a subordinate or dependent clause in a sentence, then I strongly recommend carefully reading any GMAT review materials you have on the subject.

Here's a similar GMAT SC practice question, just for more practice.

http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1126

The question on at this link should be followed by a video explanation of the answer.

I hope that helps.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 19:42
Thank you for taking the time to post this. The question and procedure you shared are literally amazing. I will go through and review some material on subordinate clauses and relative clauses as well!
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Re: Ancient Thailand [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 08:46
Expert's post
Mike’s explanation is damn good. However, if you are in a rapid fire round in the Test, then perhaps the following short work strategy might be handy

This is essentially a test of //ism, and then perhaps style; but I am not sure about the idiom part of ‘expend for’ or ‘expend on’ as according to the freedictionaty.com ‘expend for’, ‘expend on’ and ‘expend in’ are all usable (http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/expend)

A. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended for the creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated the temples that enshrined them – wrong because of the un//ism of “creation of Buddha images and when they constructed and decorated”

B. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined – ‘expended on the creation of Buddha images and on construction and decoration of’ ---Correct //ism

C. much of the local artisans’ creative energy was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration of the temples in which they were enshrined - was expended on the creation of Buddha images as well as constructing and decoration--- wrong //ism

D. creating images of Buddha accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy, and also constructing and decorating the temples enshrining them—wrong becos ‘and also’ is redundant; additionally the meaning is changed in that creating images accounted for 1. The creative energy 2. constructing and 3. decorating

E. the creating of Buddha images accounted for much of the local artisans’ creative energy as well as construction and decoration of the temples that enshrined them--- wrong because of altered intent as in D

Re: Ancient Thailand   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2012, 08:46