Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 01:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 08:43
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident insurance is regulated to allow insurance companies to make a reasonable profit. Under the regulations, the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year. Therefore, Argonians who drive less than average partially subsidize the insurance of those who drive more than average.

The conclusion above would be properly drawn if it were also true that in Argonia

(A) the average accident insurance rate for all drivers rises whenever a substantial number of new drivers buy insurance

(B) the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

(C) the lower the age of a driver, the higher the insurance rate paid by that driver

(D) insurance company profits would rise substantially if drivers were classified in terms of the actual number of miles they drive each year

(E) drivers who have caused insurance companies to pay costly claims generally pay insurance rates that are equal to or lower than those paid by other drivers
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 950
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 0

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 09:15
IMO B.
If we is true, then conclusion is valid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2006
Posts: 328
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 09:22
IMO B

B. Only when the cost of insuring those drving fewer miles in less than those driving more miles will the ones driving fewer miles be subsidizing the other drivers.

You can make it a mathametical probelm.

Ones driving 50 miles pay = 100/month; and cost of insuring is 75/month but premium is 100/month
Ones driving > 50 miles pay = 100/month; and cost of insuring is 90/moth but premium is 100/moth
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 1

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 17:45
It has to be B

the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

Clearly this has to be true for the companies to make up for the losses from people who drive more than the annual average.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2010, 05:59
icandy wrote:
It has to be B

the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

Clearly this has to be true for the companies to make up for the losses from people who drive more than the annual average.


Can anyone explain?

Quote:
In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident insurance is regulated to allow insurance companies to make a reasonable profit. Under the regulations, the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year. Therefore, Argonians who drive less than average partially subsidize the insurance of those who drive more than average


I am confused because the passage clearly states that the cost of insurance does not depend on the distance a driver drives, then why would people who drive less subsidize(means pay for) drivers who drive more.

Ok, lets assume insurance companies , think drivers who drive less are less risky so the cost of insurance is less,
1)how is this even possible when the argument clearly states
Quote:
the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year

2)Even if drivers, who drive less, pay less insurance, how will that correlation reduce, subsidize the cost of insurance for people who drive more, here there is no mention of an average insurance to assume that if X pays 10 but drives less, Y pays 10 but drives more, hence X is susidizing Y.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 14 Oct 2009
Posts: 370
Schools: Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 53

Reviews Badge
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 15:09
BlueRobin wrote:
icandy wrote:
It has to be B

the average cost to insurance companies of insuring drivers who drive less than the annual average is less than the average cost of insuring drivers who drive more than the annual average

Clearly this has to be true for the companies to make up for the losses from people who drive more than the annual average.


Can anyone explain?

Quote:
In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident insurance is regulated to allow insurance companies to make a reasonable profit. Under the regulations, the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year. Therefore, Argonians who drive less than average partially subsidize the insurance of those who drive more than average


I am confused because the passage clearly states that the cost of insurance does not depend on the distance a driver drives, then why would people who drive less subsidize(means pay for) drivers who drive more.

Ok, lets assume insurance companies , think drivers who drive less are less risky so the cost of insurance is less,
1)how is this even possible when the argument clearly states
Quote:
the rate any individual driver pays never depends on the actual distance driven by that driver each year

2)Even if drivers, who drive less, pay less insurance, how will that correlation reduce, subsidize the cost of insurance for people who drive more, here there is no mention of an average insurance to assume that if X pays 10 but drives less, Y pays 10 but drives more, hence X is susidizing Y.




the cost of insurance does not depend on the distance a driver drives...meaning that people who drive a lot and people who drive a little still pay the same amount (theoretically, since no other variable is mentioned). Statement B says it costs more to insure those who drive more, yet they are still paying the same per mileage rate. The only way the insurance company can lose money on these customers and remain profitable is if they are making it up somewhere else, in this case by charging those who drive less the same rate. The heavy drivers costs get to remain low because the infrequent drivers are paying much more than they would if the costs were based soley on mileage, meaning they are subsidizing part of the costs for the frequent drivers
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 15:56
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1669
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 276

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car [#permalink] New post 05 May 2014, 06:56
SJD wrote:
I'm in agreement, B seems reasonable.


No you're not. You say I agree. I'm in agreement is unidiomatic. One more for your notes.

Cheers
J :)
Re: In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car   [#permalink] 05 May 2014, 06:56
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident kingb 5 02 Oct 2012, 07:47
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic For similar cars and comparable drivers, automobile betterscore 4 03 Aug 2012, 15:40
For similar cars and drivers, automobile insurance for alimad 5 19 Jun 2008, 16:34
For similar cars and drivers, automobile insurance for JCLEONES 7 16 Jan 2008, 14:28
In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car accident WinWinMBA 6 29 Apr 2005, 16:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In Argonia the average rate drivers pay for car

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.