Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:34

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 15:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
(D) In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 19:01
I have tried to search a satisfactory answer for this Q. I have not found such an answer so far. However I can eliminate one close contender on some grounds but not for sure.

(A) In + assessing +
Here the sentence opens with a prepositional phrase and uses a participle form assessing as an adjective to qualify a following noun. This calls for a subject of the sentence which is doing the action. You can see that the fragment following the comma does not have a subject.

(B) has subject-verb agreement problem

(C) is grammatically correct and qualifies for an answer
(D) is also grammatically correct and qualifies for an answer

(E) has subject-verb agreement problem

How do we choose between (C) and (D)

I am not very sure. But I know that it is awkward to say
"A question that is irrelevant".
This can be concisely written as
"An irrelevant question is"

(D) has no such problems.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 19:31
I had a very long discussion with a fellow member on this question. This is what it boiled down to:

Quote:
I'm afraid to go into overanalysis but I know that often times, the use of multiple restrictive clause should be avoided and D better simplifies the sentence by avoiding exactly that. C has double restrictive clause:

that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face

Above 2 restrictive clauses could be simplified to a simple adverb clause introduced by the first part of the sentence in D. Read on with adverb clauses here:
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/clau ... rb_clauses

Best Regards,

Paul

Last edited by Paul on 09 Oct 2004, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 20:32
Thanks you guys! Really appreciate your help. The OA is D.

Hope I can reason out and/or eliminate the "close but" wrong answers when taking the test on Monday :-)
  [#permalink] 09 Oct 2004, 20:32