Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-17-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 26

In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (medium)

Question Stats:

30% (02:17) correct 70% (01:18) wrong based on 477 sessions
In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.

(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
(D) In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [3] , given: 27

CAT Tests
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2012, 23:52
This post received
KUDOS
ranjeet75 wrote:
egmat wrote:
lotus wrote:
why can't it be C. I don't see any pronoun error

Hi there,
Choice C - A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.

This choice is incorrect because of its wordiness and awkwardness. There is no grammatical issue in this sentence as such. However, it is not very direct. Compare this portion in choice C - problems that rural migrant workers face – with this one in the correct choice D - problems faced by rural migrant workers. Undoubtedly, the latter is more precise and clear than the former.

The stylistic issue in Choice C makes it incorrect.
Hope this helps.
Shraddha

I am very confused on A. Please guide why A is not correct.

A : Case of dangling modifier : In ASSESSING the problems.....................

Deciding to retake the GMAT , the problematic questions were posted in the forum = WHO is deciding, where's the subject without which the reader stays baffled ( Is it the questions decided to retake GMAT ); thus in A , the connection of In assessing the .................... with........... The question = Illogical/Sloppy.

To clear the maze : Deciding to retake GMAT, SKM posted the problematic questions in the forum.

Thus A is incorrect
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 7

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 15:35
This post received
KUDOS

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 103

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 21:16
In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.

(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.--Verbing +doer - is the normal construcstion -> so Who? -> not surely the question
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.- pronoun err
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
- Awkward construction, pronoun err, meaning changed

(D) In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
- contender
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face.
- pronoun err

So D

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2012, 22:53
Good question...I chose A and got it wrong...

A seems to be the most concise choice but "assessing" illogically modifies "question"
I initially eliminated D because I thought it was wordy.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1188

Kudos [?]: 3165 [0], given: 176

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 07:51
Expert's post
lotus wrote:

Hi there,
Choice C - A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.

This choice is incorrect because of its wordiness and awkwardness. There is no grammatical issue in this sentence as such. However, it is not very direct. Compare this portion in choice C - problems that rural migrant workers face – with this one in the correct choice D - problems faced by rural migrant workers. Undoubtedly, the latter is more precise and clear than the former.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2012, 08:19
egmat wrote:
lotus wrote:

Hi there,

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 06:21
Expert's post
ranjeet75 wrote:

Hi there,

We cover in detail all about the verb-ing modifiers and their functions depending upon their placement in our concept named "Modifiers - Verb-ing". Just log on to e-gmat.com and register for free. This concept features in the Preview Level 1 concepts. All the concepts in this section is free. Just try it. :)

Hoe this helps.
Thanks.

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 34

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 06:39
SC is my weakest verbal element so please please please critique my answer / logic:

The problem in the original question is the use of 'they'. Who is the author referring to? I think the sentence reads that the problems are better off than the urban workers since 'faced by rural migrant workers' is a modifier of problems, making problems the subject.

I think C changes the focus of the statement. The original is looking at the welfare of 2 groups of people, C looks at a question and discusses it's irrelevance.

In the study cave!

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 07:06
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi @bradfris,

Well, I’m afraid your assessment of this problem is not quite correct. Notice that “In assessing… workers” is a long modifier. Hence any part of this modifier cannot be the subject of the sentence.

Now the opening verb-ing modifier “assessing” denotes an action that needs a doer. Generally, the subject of the modified clause is the doer of the action denoted by the verb-ing modifier. In this case, the subject of the modified clause is “the question”. Now, can “the question” do the job of “assessing”? No, it cannot. Hence this modification is incorrect. This incorrect modification makes the original choice incorrect.

I don’t think there is any ambiguity in the reference of pronoun “they”. The context of the sentence clearly suggests that the logical antecedent of this pronoun is “rural migrant workers”.
We cover in detail all about the usage verb-ing modifier and pronoun reference in our e-learning course. Hit the “free trial” button below to start learning some of the important concepts tested on GMAT for free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 21:39
The correct answer is D..... A seems tempting but comparing A and D, D is clear winner
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 03:26
Why is "they" in Choice B a Pronoun Error.

I chose A but am confused about the whole pronoun error in B
Can someone please explain
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 3.7
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 247

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2012, 11:45
sidhu09 wrote:
Why is "they" in Choice B a Pronoun Error.

Though a bit late, if you ask me, the problem with "they" is that we don't know what "they" refers to - if "urban working poor" or "migrant worker".

Best,

Thank you very much for reading this post till the end! Kudos?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: -15 [0], given: 0

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 17:52
Good question!! In assesing... is a dangling modifer with question as a subject. I missed this point in the first attempt
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 17:57

(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
Seems okay. Table.
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.
Incorrect comparison between one migrant worker, and a class of people, the urban working poor. In addition, "they" is vague.
Awkward structure. Also, slightly changes the meaning. The point isn't that the world is full of irrelevant questions about rural worker welfare, and this just so happens to be one of them. It's that this question in particular is irrelevant.
Assessment changes the meaning a bit. Go for A.
Rural worker and they disagree, incorrect comparison above as in B.

Post-edit: Now I recognize the dangling modifier in A. The question isn't doing the assessing, so D it is.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [0], given: 118

Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 01:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO, D is correct.

>>> Wrong. the question can access.

>>> Wrong. Worker is singular,

>>> Wrong. Very bad structure and awkward.

>>> Correct.

(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face
>>> Wrong. Worker is singular

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 05:52
I choose C over D because use of the verb form "assessing" is more concise than the noun an assessment and there C is grammatically correct. This is in accordance with the rule mentioned in mgmat SC. Having extra relative clause is the only reason for preferring D rather than C. ? Experts pls help out.

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 08:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers,   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2014, 08:17