Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 781

In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2003, 23:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:24) wrong based on 2 sessions
In cold-water habitats, certain invertebrates and fish convert starches into complex carbohydrates called glycerols, in effect manufacturing its own antifreeze.

A) in effect manufacturing its own antifreeze
B) effectively manufacturing antifreeze of its own
C) in effect manufacturing their own antifreeze
D) so that they manufacture their own antifreeze
E) thus the manufacture of its own antifreeze

whats better, C or D?

please explain

thanks
praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 07:45
I think C is more proper.

A and B are obviously wrong because "its"
E is supremely awkward and wrong.
Between C and D; in D "they" seems to refer to glycerols??

Sorry, I am really not good at technical explanations .. leave that to the experts.

official ans?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 09:40
yes, i agree....answer has to be C

i'll keep the explanation simple:

A, B and E are incorrect b/c they use "its"....we are talking about invertebrates and fish, thus we must use "their" ....there are other reasons why these choices are wrong, but this is the simplest way to eliminate them...

This is tough to explain, but i'll try:
D is incorrect b/c the way the non-underlined part of the sentence is written. That part of the sentence is describing something (a process) and the remainder of the sentence is likening that process to something (which is the underlined part of the sentence)....therefore it would not make sense to use "so" after the comma b/c that would effectively say that the invertebrates and fish ARE really manufacturing their own antifreeze...i've never seen antifreeze coming out of fish, have you? :lol:

plus, D just simply "sounds" wrong, but i don't like to say that b/c non-native english speakers can not pick up on that...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 11:45
i too agree with C.

Just wondering why one would pick C over D.

thanks
praetorian
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 14:26
'so that' will be used in the following ways (as given in American Heritage Book)

The store stays open late so that people who work all day can buy groceries. - To introduce a clause giving the reason for or the purpose of an action

The Bay Bridge was still closed, so that the drive from San Francisco to the Berkeley campus took an hour and a half. - To introduce clauses that state a result or consequence.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2003, 14:41
guy123 wrote:
yes, i agree....answer has to be C

This is tough to explain, but i'll try:
D is incorrect b/c the way the non-underlined part of the sentence is written. That part of the sentence is describing something (a process) and the remainder of the sentence is likening that process to something (which is the underlined part of the sentence)....therefore it would not make sense to use "so" after the comma b/c that would effectively say that the invertebrates and fish ARE really manufacturing their own antifreeze...i've never seen antifreeze coming out of fish, have you? :lol:

plus, D just simply "sounds" wrong, but i don't like to say that b/c non-native english speakers can not pick up on that...

this is why C is better than D...i don't like to get caught up in formal rules....read the sentence closer and you'll see D doesn't make sense... hope it helps
  [#permalink] 01 Dec 2003, 14:41