Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 04:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly. This explains why there are more accidents each year in Oak Valley then in Mountainview.

All of the following statements, if true, weaken the conclusion drawn above EXCEPT:

(A) Oak Valley has a greater proportion of blind intersections and sharp turns than has Mountainview.
(B) There is a greater number of drivers in Oak valley than in Mountainview.
(C) Drivers in Mountainview must travel to Oak Valley to shop and work.
(D) Per capita, there are fewer police officers monitoring traffic in Oak Valley than there are in Mountainveiw.
(E) The roads are icier for a greater proportion of the year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.

I do not understand the OE for this at all. Could someone please explain the reasoning behind the OA?

(I'll post OA a bit later)

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR-Speed Limit [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 05:52
I found this one difficult. I picked B because it was the only choice that I couldn't support.

(A) Oak Valley has a greater proportion of blind intersections and sharp turns than has Mountainview.
- This would weaken the conclusion because it gives another possibility of why more accidents occur in Oak Valley.

- Weakens the argument because since drivers in Moutainview all shop and work in Oak Valley, it might actually be Mountainview drivers who speed rather than Oak Valley drivers. This is contrary to the statement in the argument.

(D) Per capita, there are fewer police officers monitoring traffic in Oak Valley than there are in Mountainveiw.
- This gives another reason as to why there may be fewer accidents in Mountainview. Since there are not as many polic officers in Mountainview to monitor traffic, driving may be more complicated in Oak Valley.

(E) The roads are icier for a greater proportion of the year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.
- It may be due to icy roads that more accidents occur in Oak Valley vs. the speeding. This weakens the conclusion.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 06:01
One more B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 10:29
I go with D on this.

There are fewer police officers, so people speed and get involved into accidents. Stengthen the argument.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 10:44
hmm...I wud pick D.

It actually supports the stem of the question . As there are fewer police personnel, there is a high probability that people exceed speed limits regularly.

Again, even B looks equally plausible. Since greater is the number of drivers in O and since a greater proportion exceed the stipulated speed limit, hence greater is the chance for accidents.

The Q is truly confusing.
OA/OE Plz.
Krishna
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 10:58
I will choose B.

Conclusion: More accidents each year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview
Reason: A greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly

Therefore, if there is a greater number of drivers in Oak valley than in Mountainview and a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly, Oak valley will have more accidents each year than MountainView.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 11:30
This one has me in knots. Ok, my two cents:
The statement is about the drivers "who live" in the cities and not just "in" the cities. So, IMO, the travelling of drivers from Mountainview to Oak valley will not take detract from the conclusion.
Oak valley drivers drive faster - more accidents in Oak valley. So, a new candidate C!!!! :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 11:47
God, this is a tough one. Going with D on this one.

It strengthens the argument that Oakville people get into more accidents because they speed. They speed because there are less cops. Less cops = more speeding. More speeding = more accidents. Still a little :? on this one, though
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 11:59
In comparison to the drivers who live in Mountainview, a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly. This explains why there are more accidents each year in Oak Valley then in Mountainview.

All of the following statements, if true, weaken the conclusion drawn above EXCEPT:

Conclusion is that the greater proportion of speeding drivers explains the accidents.

WEAKEN--suggests blind intersections, not the greater proportion explains the accidents.
(B) There is a greater number of drivers in Oak valley than in Mountainview.

WEAKEN--suggests that the greater number of drivers, not necessarily the greater proportion causes the accidents

Weaken--drivers from Mtview could be causing the accidents.

Correct, IMHO not a perfect choice however as fewer police officers would be less able to monitor speeding, but they are also less able to monitor other unsafe driving activities.

Suggests ice is the reason..

I would not be surprised if this was B, as I torn between that and D, however, the fact that C is wrong seems to suggest B is wrong as well.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 12:33
Less police officers does not mean more accident because we do not know how many drivers in the city. Also, in the argument, it states that a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly. A greater proportion of drivers who exceed the speed limit is not equal to a greater number of drivers who exceed the speed limit.

For example:

Oak Valley has 100 people and 50 of them are drivers. Within the 50 drivers in OakValley, there are 20 people who exceed the speed limit regularly. Moreover, Oak Valley has 10 police officers.

The ratio of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly is 2:5 and the ratio of police officer to Oak Vally people is 1:10.

Mountainview has 1000 people and 800 of them are drivers. Within the 800 drivers in Mountainview, there are 200 people who exceed the speed limit regularly. Mountainview also has 150 police officer

The ratio of the drivers who live in Mountainview exceed the speed limit regularly is 1:4 and the ratio of police officer to Mountainview people is 3:20.

Now, does it mean there are more accidents each year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview?

I don't think so because there are more people who exceed the speed limit regularly in Mountainview than those people who live in OakValley. Furthermore, the number of police officers does not contribute to the conclusion about more accidents each year in Oak Valley than in Mountainview.

If we know there are more drivers in OakValley than Mountainview, we can conclude that more accidents occur in OakValley than Mountainview because OakValley has a greater proportion of the drivers who exceed the speed limit regularly.

In short, the answer is B.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 13:13
I'm still not completely comfortable with this one. Can you post OE? This smells like a Kaplan question.

Last edited by eastcoaster9 on 16 Sep 2005, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 13:19
I pick D - We are looking for the statement that doesn't weaken the conclusion, which is that accidents are higher in Oak Valley than in Mountain view because more people speed in Oak Valley.

A weakens by showing that blind spots could be the reason for more accidents rather than speeding.

B weakens by showing that there are more drivers in Oak Valley then in Mountain view thus showing an alternative reason for increased accidents.

C is similar to B. If people from Mountainview are driving to Oak Valley everyday, they may be driving to Oak Valley and getting in accidents which would cause accidents in Oak Valley to increase (i.e. an alternative explanation why Oak Valley has more accidents).

E weakens the conclusion by showing that the cause for increased accidents may be because Oak Valley's roads are icier than in Mountainview.

Therefore my pick is D

Chet

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Speed Limit [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 13:39
D, my explanation is the same as riteshgupta1's.

a greater proportion of the drivers who live in Oak Valley exceed the speed limit regularly. (Need to find the one that strengthens this)

(B) There is a greater number of drivers in Oak valley than in Mountainview. (More drivers, more accident--a possible cause other than the assumed one)

(C) Drivers in Mountainview must travel to Oak Valley to shop and work. (Drivers from Mountainview cause the accidents--another possible cause other than the assumed one)

(D) Per capita, there are fewer police officers monitoring traffic in Oak Valley than there are in Mountainveiw. (Fewer police officers, more drivers tend to speed)--the answer
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 14:53
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Down with Kaplan!! I have not touched Kaplan's CD because I don't want my confidence level crushed.

So, what's the OA?

eastcoaster9 wrote:
I'm still not completely comfortable with this one, although I do believe it is B. Can you post OE? This smells like a Kaplan question.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2005, 21:37
LOL, OA is D. I happen to be thumbing through PR-GMAT at the book store earlier and saw the question.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 12:31
OA is D...

Thanks guys for your explanations...the one in the book was extremely confusing
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2005, 12:54
IMO B
VP
VP
Followers: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 12:25
B.

I need to check Kaplan on this one.

D can't be right since this requires "data" that is additional to what is given in the argument. Less number of police officers may/may not lead to people speeding. How do we know that the drivers of oakhurst are law abiding ?

B is more general in the sense that - if you have 100 drivers and 10 %speed ( 10, then if you have 200 drives and 10% speed, 20 people speed and thus causing more accidents ( which is what the assumption is - speeding "causes" more accidents in Oak Valley and nothing else ).
  [#permalink] 20 Sep 2005, 12:25