Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Contrast To/ In Contrast With

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 241

In Contrast To/ In Contrast With [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 04:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
I would like to know when is it correct & incorrect to use "In Contrast TO" and "In Contrast WITH" on GMAT and what is the difference between "In Contrast TO" and "In Contrast WITH". Kindly explain WHY the below mentioned sentence are Correct or Incorrect.

IN CONTRAST WITH the zoo, the park charges no admission.
    IN CONTRAST TO the zoo, the park charges no admission.
    In contrast to the zoo charging admission, the park does not.
    As contrasted with the zoo, the park charges no admission.

Waiting eagerly for AWESOME explanation by experts.

Regards,
Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In Contrast To/ In Contrast With [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:34
fameatop wrote:
I would like to know when is it correct & incorrect to use "In Contrast TO" and "In Contrast WITH" on GMAT and what is the difference between "In Contrast TO" and "In Contrast WITH". Kindly explain WHY the below mentioned sentence are Correct or Incorrect.

Regards,
Fame

Hi. In GMAT, both of them are correct, however it depends on the usage and context.
In fact, i would like to now when to use what out of the to idioms.

Regards,
Suyash

I want to live in a world where emails are short, love letters are brave, and every "Thank you" note is scribbled by hand.
GO GREEN

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 27

Re: In Contrast To/ In Contrast With [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 07:49
fameatop wrote:

Regards,
Fame

I can point a couple of things here. I'm not sure if it will answer you question completely so let me know.

Idiomatically, it is correct to have either usage. The rest of the sentence, that is the bigger picture, is what needs to be looked into more often than not.

Having said that the first two sentences are correct. They're making a comparison between what the zoo does and what the park does about charging admission.

However, statement 3 is comparing charging admission with a park which does not make sense. The rule for a comparison is that the subjects of comparison must ideally be on either side of the comma, which is clearly used in sentences 1 and 2. You can bend this rule slightly if you use a noun cluster before the comma. But sentence 3 has an action which is a verb.

Sentence 4 is just awfully wordy and long and takes an eternity to say what is being said.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 317

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In Contrast To/ In Contrast With [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 08:04
suyash23n wrote:
fameatop wrote:

Regards,
Fame

Hi. In GMAT, both of them are correct, however it depends on the usage and context.
In fact, i would like to now when to use what out of the to idioms.

"In contrast to" is used with nouns and "contrast with " is used when contrast acts as a verb..
X stands in contrast to Y
He/she contrast X with Y

Experts please correct me if i am wrong...
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2271 [1] , given: 31

Re: In Contrast To/ In Contrast With [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fameatop wrote:

Regards,
Fame

Fame,

I'm happy to help. See this blog ----
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/
for a full explanation. Here's the skinny ----

Both 100% correct.

The problem here is not the comparative idiom but the fundamental grammatical construction. The structure [preposition][noun][participial phrase] is trainwreck-wrong on the GMAT. If you want to talk about that much action, don't cram it all into a poor little prepositional phrase, which is designed to hold just a static noun, not the full action of a verb.

Avoid the "as contrasted to/with" structure on the GMAT.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 241

Re: In Contrast To/ In Contrast With [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 21:31
mikemcgarry wrote:

I'm happy to help. See this blog ----
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/
for a full explanation. Here's the skinny ----

Both 100% correct.

The problem here is not the comparative idiom but the fundamental grammatical construction. The structure [preposition][noun][participial phrase] is trainwreck-wrong on the GMAT. If you want to talk about that much action, don't cram it all into a poor little prepositional phrase, which is designed to hold just a static noun, not the full action of a verb.

Avoid the "as contrasted to/with" structure on the GMAT.

Mike :-)

Hi Mike,

Thanks & Kudos for the clarification. Can you solve the below mentioned questions because there has been much debate about the OA, but nowhere the explanation is clear.

In Contrast to the symphonies of Haydn, a much freer use of dissonance is evident in the symphonies of Mahler.
A. In contrast to the symphonies of Haydn, a much freer use of dissonance is evident in the symphonies of Mahler.
B. In contrast with Haydn's symphonies, Mahler uses dissonance much more freely.
C. In Contrast to those of Haydn, the symphonies of Mahler demonstrate a much more free use of dissonance.
D. In contrast to Haydn's symphonies, Mahler's demonstrate a much freer use of dissonance.
E. In contrast with Haydn's symphonies, those of Mahler use dissonance much more freely.

Doubt - In every option 'Declaration' is compared to 'Conference'. Everywhere OA mentioned is A, but I doubt the quality of the question itself. What do u think?
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.
A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations
B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.
C. When compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.
D. Compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.
E. Compared to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the intensive third Conference of the Parties' negotiations among both developed and developing nations led to the creating of the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Re: In Contrast To/ In Contrast With   [#permalink] 09 Sep 2013, 21:31