Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 06:31
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:51) correct 23% (00:56) wrong based on 346 sessions
In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology and remain economically viable.

(A) processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology and remain

(B) processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology, remaining

(C) the processing of steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology, remaining

(D) small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain

(E) small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remained
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Last edited by mau5 on 24 Aug 2013, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 06:39
This post received
KUDOS
E - || large plants... small mills, have been... (have) remained
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 06:52
I think is D.
Here it is suggested that they are still economically viable, especially that the first sentence uses present tense. "In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills have been able to put capital into new technology and remain economically viable
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 06:53
prasannar wrote:
In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology and remain economically viable.

(A) processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology and remain

(B) processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology, remaining

(C) the processing of steel scrap into a specialized group of products has enabled small mills to put capital into new technology, remaining

(D) small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain

(E) small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remained

eliminate b enabled does not agree with remaining
eliminate c enabled does not agree with remaining
eliminate d comparison not parallel should be "large plants that take" to "small mills (insert verb)"
eliminate e "remained" is in the past tense

A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 07:48
I amend my answer to D. Ya should be ll.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 09:36
immediately narrow it down to D or E due to comparison required btwn large mills and small mills. Out of those two, D is better/
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2008, 21:41
This post received
KUDOS
D works. Incorrect comparison in ABC and incorrect tense in E.
prasannar wrote:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2008, 04:42
at first i thought of D, but then i chose E because
have enabled ... and (have) remained...
--> so we should choose because of meaning or because if there is similar case, we cannot omit the verb have?

now i think D is more correct, but anyone can help to explain the above? need to clear my basics. thanks
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
D)small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain
Option D has || and to put and to remain are also||(second to is not necessary) so E cannot be correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 13:05
D it is.

Present tense "remain" in D is needed as the steel mills still are economically viable

Best Regards,

Paul

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 13:55
This post received
KUDOS
Sentence has parallel comparison issue: In contrast to X, Y
Eliminate A, B and C

Parallel Issue – to put … and remain – eliminate E

Answer: D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2008, 14:37
thanks, i overlooked :oops:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 07:07
that take....to put.... remain.. D
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 07:46
Maple wrote:
prasannar wrote:

eliminate b enabled does not agree with remaining
eliminate c enabled does not agree with remaining
eliminate d comparison not parallel should be "large plants that take" to "small mills (insert verb)"
eliminate e "remained" is in the past tense

A

In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and (have) remained economically viable.

Can we not have " have" omitted here? In that case, "E" will be OK.
Experts, please answer.

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1464 [1] , given: 245

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:
In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and (have) remained economically viable.

You can see the breakage of structural //ism in the colored part. If E has to be chosen as structurally and logically //, the correct version should be -- “have been able to put capital into new technology and (have) been able to remain economically viable. Instead we have passive voice on one side and active voice on the other. That is the reason D is better

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 09:01
daagh wrote:
Quote:

You can see the breakage of structural //ism in the colored part. If E has to be chosen as structurally and logically //, the correct version should be -- “have been able to put capital into new technology and (have) been able to remain economically viable. Instead we have passive voice on one side and active voice on the other. That is the reason D is better

Hi Daagh,
I m feeling better now. :) +1 KUDO
But not completely clear about voice part. I think both part are in active voice.

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 09:37
prasannar wrote:

Splits-
1) modifier and comparison
"In contrast to large steel plants" we need small mills
So (A), (B) and (C) are out.

2) remain/remained
We should use "remain" because "small mills have been able to put capital into new technology" (present tense)
So (E) is out.

(D) wins.

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

VP
VP
Followers: 209

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 20:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Real Estate

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 42

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 10:53
AlbertNTN wrote:
E - || large plants... small mills, have been... (have) remained

Ans. D - || large plants... small mills, have been able to... remain

In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain economically viable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 232

Re: SC:Steel plant [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 12:02
rohinipathi wrote:
that take....to put.... remain.. D

that take....to put.... remain..

How are they Parallel?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: SC:Steel plant   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2014, 12:02