Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 145 [4] , given: 30

In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (08:11) correct 53% (01:40) wrong based on 239 sessions
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.

C. When compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.

D.Compared with the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations creating legally binding obligations in the Kyoto Protocol.

E. Compared to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the intensive third Conference of the Parties' negotiations among both developed and developing nations led to the creating of the Kyoto Protocol's legally binding obligations.

Kudos are welcome :banana
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Last edited by thelosthippie on 07 May 2013, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 67

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 04:46
thelosthippie wrote:
In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

Correct idioms:
In contrast to/with x, y...
Compared to/with x, y...
"to" stresses similarities, "with" stresses differences. Not sure if GMAT allows for it.
C is out.
The original sentence informs that previous conferences didn't create something.
You can say "In contrast to/with x, y didn't".
You cannot say "compared to/with x, y didn't". You can compare somthing better to something worse, but you cannot compare something existing to something nonexisting.
D and E are out.
I got to this point and claim this problem a killer.

In contrast to the declarations [participial modifier], [a parallel here]

Quote:
A. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties' Kyoto Protocol created legally binding obligations as a result of intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations.

The third conference of something created legally binding obligations, which are contrast to the declarations. "Declarations made" to "created obligations". I am picking A.
Quote:
B. In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate change conferences, the third Conference of the Parties had intensive negotiations among both developed and developing nations, creating legally binding obligations in their Kyoto Protocol.

Not parallel.

This is a problem that I would give up on the GMAT :).

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 145 [4] , given: 30

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 02:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Correct Answer: A

All answers choices begin with a modifying phrase that makes a comparison. In every case, something needs to be logically compared to or contrasted with previous "declarations". In overly complex and modifier-laden sentences like this, look to Slash and Burn unnecessary modifiers to identify the comparison being made. Answers B through D all illogically compare or contrast "declarations" with "the...Conference". Answer E compares "declarations" with "negotiations". Only the original sentence, answer A, correctly compares "declarations" to "Kyoto Protocol" (a specific declaration).

KUDOS is always a good way to thank anyone.
It encourages someone to post more questions and also answers.

KUDOS Please if My post helps you in anyway. Your Kudos keep me alive

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1776 [1] , given: 249

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN [#permalink] New post 07 May 2013, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is rather leading to a muddle. It is clear that the declarations are being compared and contrasted. They should be compared with something similar; As per terms of modification, whatever is modified must be placed next to the comma, to assert proper modification. the correct sentence structure should use a passive form such as--- binding obligations were created. But I don’t find such things in this example. On the other hand, declarations are contrasted with the third conference; the third conference is not a licit comparison with declarations. it must be noted that the third conference is just a part of proceedings of the KYOTO protocol, named after the place where proceedings were held. The third conference, a proceeding, cannot be compared with the declarations, an outcome of the proceeding per se; Anywya thanks to Veritas for giving us a thought provoking practice stuff. This is my honest opinion.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 241

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 21:27
daagh wrote:
This is rather leading to a muddle. It is clear that the declarations are being compared and contrasted. They should be compared with something similar; As per terms of modification, whatever is modified must be placed next to the comma, to assert proper modification. the correct sentence structure should use a passive form such as--- binding obligations were created. But I don’t find such things in this example. On the other hand, declarations are contrasted with the third conference; the third conference is not a licit comparison with declarations. it must be noted that the third conference is just a part of proceedings of the KYOTO protocol, named after the place where proceedings were held. The third conference, a proceeding, cannot be compared with the declarations, an outcome of the proceeding per se; Anywya thanks to Veritas for giving us a thought provoking practice stuff. This is my honest opinion.

Daagh, I completely with you on this one.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 23:15
Brain teaser question:).

Contrast/Contradict With/to are correct
As Contrasted with or When Contrasted with is incorrect
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 07:17
Hi thelosthippie,
Can you pl post the official explanation to this problem.
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 629

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 07:09
dixitraghav wrote:
Hi thelosthippie,
Can you pl post the official explanation to this problem.

dixitraghav - the OE is posted above per thelosthippie.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Re: In contrast to the declarations made at previous UN climate   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 07:09