Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 21

In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (02:15) correct 65% (01:43) wrong based on 189 sessions
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(E)
In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought t [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 03:14
actleader wrote:
In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion.

(E)
In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

I choose C as the OA...
All the other option has a pronoun he, which doesn't have an antecedent because king henry is serving as adjective not as noun
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought t [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 11:35
In C we probably compare private drama with King Henry,

I think it's not the best option
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought t [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 04:04
how is king Henry's defiance is in contrast with a drama???
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 201 [3] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought t [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
kamalpreet151 wrote:
how is king Henry's defiance is in contrast with a drama???

Contrast: The tensed drama is "PRIVATE", while King Henry's defiance is "PUBLIC"

The defiance heralded an end of Act III, which was characteristics of certain activities:
as the king defies..., divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and
proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

In that sense, E is correct.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 52

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 11:35
actleader wrote:

(E)

I had selected Option B,,,,can anyone explain my mistake??/or can explain OA??
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 201 [3] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
I had selected Option B,,,,can anyone explain my mistake??/or can explain OA??

Hi Maryam,
if you've read the original sentence carefully, you would realize that its trying to compare two things.
For example, in contrast to X, Y; as in saying: in contrast to a military regime, the civilian administration
makes laws, which requires both the Senate and House of Reps to subject such bills to debate before it
is passed into law.
In contrast to a dude, a lady will most likely prefer to be a good listener in matters of relationship.

Does that make sense?

Now, back to your question.
We can equally say: unlike X, Y.
Unlike the private drama, the public defiance of King Henry brought Act III to a thrilling conclusion..2 opposing
scenario.
However, option B compares the "tensed private drama" to "a thrilling conclusion of Act III"...that's illogical, right?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic
Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine,
takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England.

Even I have doubts regarding E, the OA.
It says: ".....KING HENRY'S PUBLIC DEFIANCE of the Roman Catholic Church brings..., as HE defies ..."

What does "HE" refer to?

On such occasion, it might be noteworthy to ask what the source might be.
Over to you, Actleader.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 21

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2012, 07:46
gmatbull wrote:
Quote:
(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic
Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine,

It says: ".....KING HENRY'S PUBLIC DEFIANCE of the Roman Catholic Church brings..., as HE defies ..."

What does "HE" refer to?

Over to you, Actleader.

What a fruitful discussion )
The source is GoGMAT (http://gogmat.com/).
There are some challenging questions.

So the OA here is really E. Great job and Kudos for gmatbull !!

I followed the same assumption as above and chose answer C, which is incorrect due to incomparability if sure there is such a word exist .

Last edited by actleader on 19 Jul 2013, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 12:45
gmatbull wrote:
Quote:

What does "HE" refer to?

Over to you, Actleader.

I was making reference to the possessive poison rule, but I learn the rule is of no effect,
Meaning, "he" can actually refer to "King Henry's"

Last edited by gmatbull on 28 Nov 2012, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 165

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 21:26
Could anyone explain why (a) is wrong here ?

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 01:12
Practicegmat wrote:
Could anyone explain why (a) is wrong here ?

Have you gone through the previous posts and yet could not understand why A is wrong?

VP
VP
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 434

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 01:48
gmatbull wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
Quote:

What does "HE" refer to?

Over to you, Actleader.

I was making reference to the possessive poison rule, but I learn the rule is of no effect,
Meaning, "he" can actually refer to "King Henry"

The rule still applies. It states:

Possessive noun + Possessive Pronoun - CORRECT (X's salary is too high as is his stature) (dont try to make sense out of these sentences :) )
Possessive noun + non-possessive pronoun - INCORRECT (X's salary is too high as he lives in NY)
NP noun + P Pronoun - CORRECT ( X is a great man, and his children are blabla)
NP Noun + NP Pronoun - CORRECT (X is a great man, and he is blabla)

basically:
if the referent is a 'normal' (non-possessive) noun, then the pronoun can be in any case.
if the referent is in the possessive case, then the pronoun can only be possessive.

so essentially only when the noun is in possessive case and the pronoun is not in possessive case is this construction wrong. That is the case here.

Hence there is ambiguity and probably the question is not reflective of what you might get on the test day.

Best

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:41
Hi Jumsumtak,

I actually encountered a number of "official" questions from recognized Test Preps, which violate the so-called
"Possessive Poison" rule.
Am sorry, I have not been able to trace the questions, but the post from Manhattan (the originator or the concept)
may be of help.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sc- ... t5164.html

Also, you can read this:
here-is-the-latest-flash-on-the-possessive-poison-front-108522.html

Just google "possessive poison" on gmat forums.

Hope the information was helpful...

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 411 [2] , given: 434

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2012, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
gmatbull wrote:
Hi Jumsumtak,

I actually encountered a number of "official" questions from recognized Test Preps, which violate the so-called
Am sorry, I have not been able to trace the questions, but the post from Manhattan (the originator or the concept)
may be of help.

Also, you can read this:

Hey gmatbull,

Request you to re-read the Manhattan post you mentioned. It says the same thing as I wrote in my post above. In fact I picked a part of it from there itself.

I quote Ron here:

the "rule" is:
* POSSESSIVE NOUN with NON-POSSESSIVE PRONOUN is NOT OK.
BUT
ALL OTHER COMBINATIONS are ok.
i.e.
possessive noun with possessive pronoun is ok.
non-possessive noun with non-possessive pronoun is ok.
non-possessive noun with possessive pronoun is ok.

that's the complete version of the rule -- which, not surprisingly, tends to confuse a lot more than it tends to enlighten. also, although it may help you eliminate the odd answer choice here and there, it has NEVER actually been required to solve an official problem.

so:
ONLY use this "rule" if you understand it 100.0000%. if there is absolutely any confusion at all, just ignore this rule and pretend that you have never seen it.

Hope this helps.

Best

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 44

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2012, 18:14
jumsumtak wrote:
gmatbull wrote:
Hi Jumsumtak,

may be of help.

Also, you can read this:

Hey gmatbull,

Request you to re-read the Manhattan post you mentioned. It says the same thing as I wrote in my post above. In fact I picked a part of it from there itself.

I quote Ron here:

the "rule" is:
* POSSESSIVE NOUN with NON-POSSESSIVE PRONOUN is NOT OK.
BUT
ALL OTHER COMBINATIONS are ok.
i.e.
possessive noun with possessive pronoun is ok.
non-possessive noun with non-possessive pronoun is ok.
non-possessive noun with possessive pronoun is ok.

that's the complete version of the rule -- which, not surprisingly, tends to confuse a lot more than it tends to enlighten. also, although it may help you eliminate the odd answer choice here and there, it has NEVER actually been required to solve an official problem.

so:
ONLY use this "rule" if you understand it 100.0000%. if there is absolutely any confusion at all, just ignore this rule and pretend that you have never seen it.

Hope this helps.

Best

@actleader: This is a great question .. Thanks for this...

@Bull : i completely agree with jumsumtak ...
Hope this question should not use "non-possessive pronoun" coz "King's" is possessive...

@jumsumtak will make a note of these rules in my notepad... this ll be absolutely useful later :) Thanks dude

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 01:54
I actually disagreed with the use of "he" to refer to "King Henry's" as contradicting the Possessive rule until I came
across another question that does same- this time in the none-underlined part; hence my later past.

Nevertheless, it's better to keep to the rule if you know it even though tit has not been used as a sole factor
in ANY correct choice.

Thanks.

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 241

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 09:59
gmatbull wrote:
I actually disagreed with the use of "he" to refer to "King Henry's" as contradicting the Possessive rule until I came
across another question that does same- this time in the none-underlined part; hence my later past.

Nevertheless, it's better to keep to the rule if you know it even though tit has not been used as a sole factor
in ANY correct choice.

Thanks.

The quality of this question is very poor as every option has one or other error. None of options are 100% correct.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 77

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 22:33
(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - passive voice. incorrect.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - passive voice. incorrect.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion. - modifier issue, TENSE issue. incorrect.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion. - same as C. incorrect.

(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - active voice, no modifier issue. correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 30

Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 08:25
vishalrastogi wrote:
(A) In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought to a thrilling conclusion by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - passive voice. incorrect.

(B) In contrast to the tense private drama, a thrilling conclusion of Act III is brought by King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - passive voice. incorrect.

(C) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry publicly defies the Roman Catholic Church by defying the papal legate, divorcing Catherine, taking Anne as his wife, and proclaiming himself head of the Church of England, bringing Act III to a thrilling conclusion. - modifier issue, TENSE issue. incorrect.

(D) In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's defiance of the papal legate, divorce from Catherine, marriage to Anne, and self-proclamation as head of the Church of England, all a public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church which brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion. - same as C. incorrect.

(E)In contrast to the tense private drama, King Henry's public defiance of the Roman Catholic Church brings Act III to a thrilling conclusion, as he defies the papal legate, divorces Catherine, takes Anne as his wife, and proclaims himself head of the Church of England. - active voice, no modifier issue. correct.

If I remember correctly, passive voice is not a reason for ruling out an option.
Is there anything else wrong with it?
It seems fine to me....?
Re: In contrast to the tense private drama, Act III is brought   [#permalink] 11 Nov 2013, 08:25