Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 13:02

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In countries where automobile insurance includes

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [7] , given: 21

GMAT Tests User
In countries where automobile insurance includes [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 03:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:25) correct 55% (01:32) wrong based on 519 sessions
In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation for whiplash injuries
sustained in automobile accidents, reports of having suffered such injuries are twice as
frequent as they are in countries where whiplash is not covered
. Presently, no objective test for
whiplash exists, so it is true that spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identifi ed.
Nevertheless, these facts do not warrant the conclusion drawn by some commentators that in the
countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious.
Clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash,
people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a conclusion that has been based
on that claim.
(B) The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument accepts;
the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion for which the argument
provides further evidence; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
(D) The first is a fi nding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second is a claim
presented in order to argue against deriving certain implications from that fi nding.
(E) The first is a fi nding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is evidence
presented to establish that the finding is accurate.

Consider KUDOS if You Like this Question.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
ankitranjan wrote:
In countries where automobile insurance includes compensation for whiplash injuries
sustained in automobile accidents, reports of having suffered such injuries are twice as
frequent as they are in countries where whiplash is not covered
. Presently, no objective test for
whiplash exists, so it is true that spurious reports of whiplash injuries cannot be readily identifi ed.
Nevertheless, these facts do not warrant the conclusion drawn by some commentators that in the
countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious.
Clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash,
people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually have suffered.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a claim that the argument disputes; the second is a conclusion that has been based
on that claim.
(B) The first is a claim that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument accepts;
the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first is evidence that has been used to support a conclusion for which the argument
provides further evidence; the second is the main conclusion of the argument.
(D) The first is a fi nding whose implications are at issue in the argument; the second is a claim
presented in order to argue against deriving certain implications from that fi nding.
(E) The first is a fi nding whose accuracy is evaluated in the argument; the second is evidence
presented to establish that the finding is accurate.

Consider KUDOS if You Like this Question.

D

Just before the latter bold face, it is stated - Nevertheless, these facts do not warrant the conclusion drawn by some commentators that in the countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious.. "These Facts" refer to the facts associated with the first bold face portion. It clearly says that the first bold face should not be used to draw conclusion about blah blah blah .......... then presenting the second bold face portion. Hence, (D).

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 06:40
D for me

-AD

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 17:07
D for me too
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 19:29
Agree with D , whats OA

Always tag your question

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2011, 00:15
The answer is D.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 04:10
D. fairly simple

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Among the Hard ones [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 21:14
D it is.
claim1,conclusion 1,main conclusion(against con-1),claim2 ... is the structure.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In countries where automobile insurance includes [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 09:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Re: In countries where automobile insurance includes [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 14:39
What would you guys say the conclusion is here? I'm torn between two:

"Nevertheless, these facts do not warrant the conclusion drawn by some commentators that in the
countries with the higher rates of reported whiplash injuries, half of the reported cases are spurious."

or.

"Clearly, in countries where automobile insurance does not include compensation for whiplash,
people often have little incentive to report whiplash injuries that they actually have suffered."
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 32

Re: In countries where automobile insurance includes [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 17:43
OA is A guys. I put down D at first too. Source: GMATPREP
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 129

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In countries where automobile insurance includes [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 02:34
Wes Z wrote:
OA is A guys. I put down D at first too. Source: GMATPREP

No, OA is D. Source: Office Guide

Here is the official explanation

A The claim made in the first boldfaced portion is never disputed in the argument; at dispute is how
to account for the fact that this claim is true. The second is not the argument’s conclusion.
B In a manner of speaking, perhaps, the argument uses the first portion to support its conclusion;
but there is no indication that it has been used elsewhere to do so. In any case, the second
boldfaced portion is not the argument’s conclusion.
C The first has been used to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second boldfaced
portion is not the argument’s conclusion.
D Correct. This option correctly identifies the roles played in the argument by the boldfaced portions.
E The accuracy of the first boldfaced portion is never questioned in the argument; nor is the second
intended to somehow help show that the first is accurate. Rather, the argument assumes that the
first portion is accurate.

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 49

Re: In countries where automobile insurance includes [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2014, 05:26
Strange !!!!!!!!!!
Same question in GMAT OG 13 has OA as D.
Re: In countries where automobile insurance includes   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2014, 05:26