Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [11]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 493 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Re: In Egypt in the late Paleolithic period, the climate changed, pastures [#permalink]
In Egypt in the late Paleolithic period, the climate changed, pastures became deserts, and the inhabitants were forced to withdraw to the land bordering the Nile from their hunting grounds.

(A) inhabitants were forced to withdraw to the land bordering the Nile from their hunting grounds - Incorrect Idiom
(B) inhabitants had been forced to withdraw from their hunting grounds to the land that bordered the Nile. - Incorrect, had been is Past Perfect Continuous (Past continuous action), whereas in statement B) the action ended.
(C) inhabitants were forced to withdraw from their hunting grounds to the land bordering the Nile. Correct Idiom usage and Tense (were).
(D) inhabitants having been forced to, withdrew from their hunting grounds to the land that bordered the Nile. Incorrect -Having been would mean the action is still going.
(E) inhabitants withdrew, because they were forced to, from their hunting grounds to the land bordering the Nile. Awkward Wording
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Re: In Egypt in the late Paleolithic period, the climate changed, pastures [#permalink]
Kudos
in C "and the inhabitants were forced" because of "were" in C, i thoght this is not parallel with "climate changed, pastures became deserts" and i crossed out C and went for E. what's wrong with m reasoning???
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
In Egypt in the late Paleolithic period, the climate changed, pastures became deserts, and the inhabitants were forced to withdraw to the land bordering the Nile from their hunting grounds.

(A) inhabitants were forced to withdraw to the land bordering the Nile from their hunting grounds The correct idiomatic usage would be "withdraw from .... to .....". As such, we can hold on to this option for the time being till we examine all the other options, since this is not a very serious error.

(B) inhabitants had been forced to withdraw from their hunting grounds to the land that bordered the Nile "inhabitants had been", past perfect tense, breaks parallelism with "climate changed" and "pastures became deserts", both in the simple past. Eliminate.

(C) inhabitants were forced to withdraw from their hunting grounds to the land bordering the Nile Correct answer. We can eliminate option (A) based on this option having the correct idiomatic usage and no new errors being introduced.

(D) inhabitants having been forced to, withdrew from their hunting grounds to the land that bordered the Nile "having been" is quite unnecessary and breaks parallelism with "climate changed" and "pastures became deserts" which are in the simple past. Eliminate.

(E) inhabitants withdrew, because they were forced to, from their hunting grounds to the land bordering the Nile While there is no obvious grammatical error in this option, it is more wordy than option (C), which too does not have any errors. Hence, based on conciseness, we can eliminate this option.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbhishekDhanraJ72 wrote:
in C "and the inhabitants were forced" because of "were" in C, i thoght this is not parallel with "climate changed, pastures became deserts" and i crossed out C and went for E. what's wrong with m reasoning???

In choice (C), we have a parallel list of clauses. The verbs in the first two clauses are active, and the verb in the third clause is passive. But there's no rule saying that active and passive verbs -- or clauses with active and passive verbs -- can't be parallel. For example:

"The workers are overwhelmed by the job and complain constantly."

The first verb ("are overwhelmed") is passive and the second verb ("complain") is active. This is not a problem.

Similarly, the mix of active and passive verbs does not affect the parallelism in (C). Another example of this can be found here.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
why choice A is wrong? is this from gmatprep?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos