Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [38]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [2]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: In Europe, schoolchildren devote time during each school day to calist [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
teaserbae wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
In Europe, schoolchildren devote time during each school day to calisthenics. North American schools rarely offer a daily calisthenics program. Tests prove that North American children are weaker, slower, and shorter-winded than European children. We must conclude that North American children can be made physically fit only if they participate in school calisthenics on a daily basis.

Which of the following is an assumption required by the argument above?

(A) Physical fitness is a compelling national priority worthy of taxpayer resources.
Taxpayer resource? Out of scope

(B) School calisthenics programs are an indispensable factor in European student fitness.
Correct.

(C) All children can be made equally physically fit.
Argument is about the betterment of the American children as a whole and not about "all" children.

(D) European schoolchildren enjoy physical activities more than do American children.
This would weaken the argument.

(E) American physical education teachers are capable of designing a successful calisthenics program.
Teachers' capability is not the concern of the argument.

gmatexam439 how D is weakening the statement ?

Authot's argument : Europe has C in school programs > European child physically better
NA does not have such SChool programs > NA child physically weak.
conclusion : Install C in NA schools > NA child can get physically better ...
The author assumes that C in schools is the cause of physic in European children.. cause - C in schools , effect - physically better
He also assumes that there arent any other possible causes which could help EU child get physically better...

why B??
B says that the C programm in schools is mandatory . Negate it- C program is not mandatory ( voluntary) , ie children can attend the program if THEY WANT TO... This tells us that the EU child himself is eager to learn C and wants to get physically strong.. How does this weaken argument?? Author says that the C in program has helped EU child get physically stong .. and then concludes that ONLY C in schools in NA can physically make NA child strong... negating B tells us that the two samples ( NA and EU child) are not comparative ... The EU child himself wats to get strong ...but this may not be the case in NA ...even if we install C in schools in NA , the child may still not improve ... By saying ONLY C will help kills his argument.

why not D ??
D says EU child enjoys PHY more than NA child....so this is directly giving us an alternative cause as to why EU child is stronger than NA child ...because if he enjoys more he is likely to excercise more ...Here the two samples cannot be compared now...

gmatexam439 i hope you dont mind me resolving his doubt....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: In Europe, schoolchildren devote time during each school day to calist [#permalink]
Can anyone please explain this question using e-GMAT's pre-thinking concept?

I came up with the falsification question: "Under what circumstances, North American children can made physically fit not just by participating in school calisthenics on a daily basis"?

Possible answers: 1. NA children can perform exercise outside of school
2. Teachers can come up with a different, more efficient schedule for exercise.

Can anyone please help me understand this? Any help from egmat would be great.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
abyshek wrote:
Can anyone please explain this question using e-GMAT's pre-thinking concept?

I came up with the falsification question: "Under what circumstances, North American children can made physically fit not just by participating in school calisthenics on a daily basis"?

Can anyone please help me understand this? Any help from egmat would be great.

In Europe, schoolchildren devote time during each school day to calisthenics. North American schools rarely offer a daily calisthenics program. Tests prove that North American children are weaker, slower, and shorter-winded than European children. We must conclude that North American children can be made physically fit only if they participate in school calisthenics on a daily basis.

Step 1) understand the argument:
- in E schoolchildren devote time to C during each school day
- NA children are weak, bla bla bla
- NA schools do not offer C( even though it's given "rarely"... We'll consider "no program"..doesn't really affect the argument)
-conlusion: ONLY C in school program in NA daily > NA children physically fit.

Question- ASSUMPTION

Prethinking-

conlusion: ONLY C in school program in NA daily > NA children physically fit.

Falsification:
1)under what circumstance will NA children not get physically fit even if we put up C in schools on daily basis.?
2) under what circumstances will NA children get physically fit even if no C is put up

GIVEN THAT : EC devote time to C daily
EC fit than NAC
NA does not have C

Thought process:
Understand author's logic ( we do this step after falsification condition if you remember the videos)
The author first states the conditions in E. He says EC devote time to C in schools on daily basis. Then he presents a result that EC are physically fit than NAC.
Now before concluding he must have Thot that the program is making the EC stronger .
See he is actually linking two pieces together. A: EC devote time . B: EC stronger than NA.
He thinks that A lead to B.
Now the two situations can actually coexist without causal relationship. There can just be a coincidence. Even B could've lead to A. That is if EC are physically fit then that is why they attend calisthenics.
What if calisthenics did not lead to EC fitness??? Then how can author conclude that C will lead to NA fitness??

Where you went adrift is you just focused on the falsification condition and tried to come up with your answers and did not look into author's reasoning..
If you look at the videos carefully you will see that when we put up the falsification condition we say
What if bla bla bla , GIVEN THAT.... (The given that is the main logic where you have to attack)..you have to disprove author's logic he presents with the question. )

Falsification scenario: the calisthenics did not lead to EC fitness , something else did.. so author cannot make a link to conclude.
Assumption 1): calisthenics lead to EC fitness and nothing else did

attack 2) what if there is some other way to increase NAC fitness?? Maybe gym? Any reason will do.
Assumption 2) : nothing else can can make /increase NAC fitness

( Now you try to solve each answer choice with the process in your head. Third process is ANS choice analysis. But you do it so that you'll understand how the ans is relevant..you won't even need to negate the AC)

(A) Physical fitness is a compelling national priority worthy of taxpayer resources.

(B) School calisthenics programs are an indispensable factor in European student fitness.

(D) European schoolchildren enjoy physical activities more than do American children.

(E) American physical education teachers are capable of designing a successful calisthenics program.

If you have any doubts, please ask ( but also present your analysis)

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Narrowed it down to B and E.
In pre thinking I thought that American schools should be able to implement a calisthenics program. Then only we can think about improving the physical fitness. E states this.
B looked way to strong. Even if it is indispensable , how is that important to improving fitness in American schools.?Yes it is a factor but indispensable or not , why is that important.?
Thats why Chose E.
Can someone explain how my approach was wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Micky1005 wrote:
Narrowed it down to B and E.
In pre thinking I thought that American schools should be able to implement a calisthenics program. Then only we can think about improving the physical fitness. E states this.
B looked way to strong. Even if it is indispensable , how is that important to improving fitness in American schools.?Yes it is a factor but indispensable or not , why is that important.?
Thats why Chose E.
Can someone explain how my approach was wrong?

Micky1005 I was confused with the same but chose B because of following -

For E, anybody can design the program. It doesn't necessarily has to be the teachers doing that. If we negate this statement, it does weaken the argument but does not shatter it completely.

If we negate B on the other hand, it does shatter the conclusion. If calisthenics is not integrated completely with European Students development, then there is no point for American students to follow that daily.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Send PM
[quote="abyshek"][quote="AdityaHongunti"][quote="abyshek"]Can anyone please explain this question using e-GMAT's pre-thinking concept?

I came up with the falsification question: "Under what circumstances, North American children can made physically fit [b]not just by[/b] participating in school calisthenics on a daily basis"?

Can anyone please help me understand this? Any help from

Step 1) understand the argument:
- in E schoolchildren devote time to C during each school day
- NA children are weak, bla bla bla
- NA schools do not offer C( even though it's given "rarely"... We'll consider "no program"..doesn't really affect the argument)
-conlusion: ONLY C in school program in NA daily > NA children physically fit.

Question- ASSUMPTION

Prethinking-

conlusion: ONLY C in school program in NA daily > NA children physically fit.

Falsification:
1)under what circumstance will NA children not get physically fit even if we put up C in schools on daily basis.?
2) under what circumstances will NA children get physically fit even if no C is put up

GIVEN THAT : EC devote time to C daily
EC fit than NAC
NA does not have C

Thought process:
Understand author's logic ( we do this step after falsification condition if you remember the videos)
The author first states the conditions in E. He says EC devote time to C in schools on daily basis. Then he presents a result that EC are physically fit than NAC.
Now before concluding he must have Thot that the program is making the EC stronger .
See he is actually linking two pieces together. A: EC devote time . B: EC stronger than NA.
He thinks that A lead to B.
Now the two situations can actually coexist without causal relationship. There can just be a coincidence. Even B could've lead to A. That is if EC are physically fit then that is why they attend calisthenics.
What if calisthenics did not lead to EC fitness??? Then how can author conclude that C will lead to NA fitness??

Where you went adrift is you just focused on the falsification condition and tried to come up with your answers and did not look into author's reasoning..
If you look at the videos carefully you will see that when we put up the falsification condition we say
What if bla bla bla , GIVEN THAT.... (The given that is the main logic where you have to attack)..you have to disprove author's logic he presents with the question. )

Falsification scenario: the calisthenics did not lead to EC fitness , something else did.. so author cannot make a link to conclude.
Assumption 1): calisthenics lead to EC fitness and nothing else did

attack 2) what if there is some other way to increase NAC fitness?? Maybe gym? Any reason will do.
Assumption 2) : nothing else can can make /increase NAC fitness

( Now you try to solve each answer choice with the process in your head. Third process is ANS choice analysis. But you do it so that you'll understand how the ans is relevant..you won't even need to negate the AC)

If you have any doubts, please ask ( but also present your analysis)

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size][/quote][/quote]

Thanks a lot. You indeed cleared my doubt. After reading your falsification question, I could immediately point B as an answer. I think, I went wrong at the falsification question step. I need to take more care on that aspect..[/quote]

Your falsification questions were right to the point , but they were not detailed enough...Also you stopped after falsification condition and directly jumped to thought process in which you did not consider the GIVEN ( author's REASONING) and tried to come up with your own REASONING... Try to make a falsification condition as DETAILED as possible...

For eg : this year disease X has downsized the amount of meat available from chicken as disease X affects chicken. Therefore this year the meat available from chicken will be less in amount than last year.

If we don't consider details
Probable falsification condition: what if other meat from cows or sheep increases??

Here you'll be considering the total amount of meat available.but the conclusion is only about meat available from CHICKEN and not total.

Detailed falsification condition:
What if somehow we can increase the amount of avaible chicken for meat?? What if we eradicate disease ?

Here you'll only be concerned with meat from chicken.

Note: this is just an example. I in no way imply that you would come up with the former falsification condition.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
I chose E as my answer. Please correct my understanding.

I chose E because for these reasons:

The school kids in Europe participate in calisthenics program and hence the reason why they are physical fit. The last statement states that North American kids can be fit only if they participate in such programs.

So, I felt the assumption should be - If North America implements a similar program, to achieve the similar goal of making kids physically fit , we need to consider how the effectively the program will be run in North America.

So, we are assuming that these programs would be executed effectively.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM

(A) Physical fitness is a compelling national priority worthy of taxpayer resources. -- Irrelevant

(B) School calisthenics programs are an indispensable factor in European student fitness. -- Best among the lot.

(C) All children can be made equally physically fit. -- "Equally" makes the statement too hypothetical to believe. Can't serve as a proper assumption.

(D) European schoolchildren enjoy physical activities more than do American children. -- Irrelevant

(E) American physical education teachers are capable of designing a successful calisthenics program. -- We can't say this from the information given. It just says that North American schools rarely conduct calisthenics programs but that doesn't mean the teachers there are unsuccessful
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [3]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Kudos