Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618824 [18]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In experiments in which certain kinds of bacteria were placed in a gen [#permalink]
Kudos
Applied the process of elimination to get at this. The answer for this one would be quite simple for those who've studied science I suppose, because all that this question is trying to do is confuse you with its wording.

Quote:
In experiments in which certain kinds of bacteria were placed in a generous supply of nutrients, the populations of bacteria grew rapidly, and genetic mutations occurred at random in the populations. These experiments show that all genetic mutation is random.

Which one of the following, if true, enables the conclusion to be properly drawn?

(A) Either all genetic mutations are random or none are random.
Correct answer.
The stem gives you information that the mutations occurred at random in the population. This statement is telling you that all genetic mutations either occur randomly, or none occur randomly. Putting two and two together gives us that since mutations occurred at random in the experiment, all mutations will always be random (which is the conclusion it wants us to arrive at).

(B) The bacteria tested in the experiments were of extremely common forms.
Not correct. If common forms of bacteria have mutations at random, how can we conclude that all mutations occur randomly?

(C) If all genetic mutations in bacteria are random, then all genetic mutations in every other life form are random also.
Not correct. This basically picks up the conclusion that we want to arrive at and uses it to further confuse the reader.

(D) The kind of environment in which genetic mutation takes place has no effect on the way genetic mutation occurs.
Not correct. Doesn't point us anywhere.

(E) The nutrients used were the same as those that nourish the bacteria in nature.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: In experiments in which certain kinds of bacteria were placed in a gen [#permalink]
Angad97 wrote:
Applied the process of elimination to get at this. The answer for this one would be quite simple for those who've studied science I suppose, because all that this question is trying to do is confuse you with its wording.

Quote:
In experiments in which certain kinds of bacteria were placed in a generous supply of nutrients, the populations of bacteria grew rapidly, and genetic mutations occurred at random in the populations. These experiments show that all genetic mutation is random.

Which one of the following, if true, enables the conclusion to be properly drawn?

(A) Either all genetic mutations are random or none are random.
Correct answer.
The stem gives you information that the mutations occurred at random in the population. This statement is telling you that all genetic mutations either occur randomly, or none occur randomly. Putting two and two together gives us that since mutations occurred at random in the experiment, all mutations will always be random (which is the conclusion it wants us to arrive at).

(B) The bacteria tested in the experiments were of extremely common forms.
Not correct. If common forms of bacteria have mutations at random, how can we conclude that all mutations occur randomly?

(C) If all genetic mutations in bacteria are random, then all genetic mutations in every other life form are random also.
Not correct. This basically picks up the conclusion that we want to arrive at and uses it to further confuse the reader.

(D) The kind of environment in which genetic mutation takes place has no effect on the way genetic mutation occurs.

(E) The nutrients used were the same as those that nourish the bacteria in nature.

I think C basically bridges the gap b/w the conclusion and premise
Experts VeritasKarishma GMATNinja Bunuel please help??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
These experiments show that all genetic mutation is random. (This is inclusive of Mutations in other organisms too)

We need to find which option best supports the claim (given the option is true).

A. Mutation is either random or specialized -> Mutation can have either of these two properties. Now with the experiment using one species we can confirm that the property is random.Once we know Mutation is random we know Mutation(-> property: random) applies to all species in general.
B. Mutation is true for common bacteria -> not applicable to all mutations in other organisms / even uncommon bacteria , excludes case of Mutation in other organisms
C. If true for bacteria then true for other organisms too -> not proper since correlation between bacteria and other lifeforms not stated
D. Kind of environment - no effect on mutation variability -> Within a single organism it is random and not dependent on environment type, but Mutation may depend on type of organism (some organisms instead of random mutation might see specialized mutations).
Species & Kind of environment - no effect on mutation variability , might make strong point.
E. Nutrient medium simulates natural environment - It proves that the exp. correctly simulates natural Mutation but not true for the generalized statement that can be made for other cases.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
nightblade354
I did a blind review of this question, the original answer I selected was "C", but later on I changed it to "D".
What put me off in choice C was the use of "all" before " genetic mutations", the sentence does not quantify how much of genetic mutation occured randomly. I chose D as it hurts the argument directly, What if the environment(supply of nutrients) played some role; if it did then the conclusion would fall. Is there any flaw in my analysis? Did I assume the environment to be " supply of nutrients"?
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
In experiments in which certain kinds of bacteria were placed in a gen [#permalink]
Expert Reply
deveshj21 wrote:
nightblade354
I did a blind review of this question, the original answer I selected was "C", but later on I changed it to "D".
What put me off in choice C was the use of "all" before " genetic mutations", the sentence does not quantify how much of genetic mutation occured randomly. I chose D as it hurts the argument directly, What if the environment(supply of nutrients) played some role; if it did then the conclusion would fall. Is there any flaw in my analysis? Did I assume the environment to be " supply of nutrients"?

This isn't an assumption question. This is a sufficienct assumption, which means that negation has no impact on it. Do not waste your time worrying about this because it will never show up on the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [0]
Given Kudos: 188
Send PM
OA from PowerScore Forum-

Here's how the argument sets up in very broad terms:

Premise: (some) genetic mutations in bacteria occurred at random.

Conclusion: all genetic mutation is random.
Second, from a mechanistic standpoint, the biggest change from premise to conclusion is the "some" and "all" elements. But, the conclusion contains the "all" element, so we need a way to get to that conclusion in the answer choices. Interestingly, only answer choices (A) and (C) reference the "all" element, so those two are the most attractive Contenders from the outset. Let's examine each answer more closely.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer. If we add this statement to the stimulus, we see an interesting structure. I'm going to remove the "genetic mutation" portion because that's common to all elements, and removing it allows us to isolate the numbers game being played:

(A): it's all or none.
Premise: it's some.
Conclusion: Well, since it's all or none, and the presence of some rules out none, it must be all.

That's literally the process at work here, and this answer choice allows us to connect the thread from "some" to "all" in the stimulus. However, and this is what makes this question a classic, they've made this connection in a very tricky fashion.

Answer choice (C): This answer choice can be diagrammed as:

All random in bacteria :arrow: all random in life
The problem here is that the sufficient condition, "All random in bacteria," isn't know (just "some" is known, which while it could be "all," isn't known to be "all" for sure) so adding this statement to the premises doesn't give us "all random in life" as the conclusion.

This answer can be analogized as follows:

(C): If all high school football players are athletic, then football players at every level of the sport are athletic
Premise: Some high school football players are athletic.
Conclusion: No conclusion can be drawn.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts