Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In fact, despite the efforts of the various colonial

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

In fact, despite the efforts of the various colonial [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 02:14
Quote:
[...]In fact, despite the efforts of the various colonial legislatures, white servant women continued to bear children by African American fathers through the late seventeenth century and well into the eighteenth century. It appears that such births were the primary source of the increase in the free African American population for this period. [...]

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
A) No free African Americans in the American colonies were the offspring of white slave owners.
B) Some colonial legislatures passed laws to prevent interbreeding between white colonists and African Americans.
C) White servants were not as numerous as African American slaves in early America.
D) Most African Americans in the South were born into slavery.
E) Records exist to document all births of free African Americans in colonial America.

Here is MGMAT answer which I find questionable:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(B) CORRECT. The second paragraph begins with "despite the efforts of the various colonial legislatures, white servant women continued to bear children by African American fathers through the late seventeenth century and well into the eighteenth century." This implies that the legislatures took action to prevent these births.

But when you read it correctly, it talks about "In fact, despite the efforts of the various colonial legislatures, white servant women continued to bear children by African American fathers", we know nothing about "Some colonial legislatures passed laws to prevent interbreeding between white colonists and African Americans". I do not consider a white servant woman as a colonist.

What do you think?

PS: I didn't provide the full passage to avoid any copyright problem. I can post it if it's really necessary, but the other section of the passage don't help except to eliminate the other answer choices which in such case makes them all incorrect. If you have access to MGMAT test #3, it's called "Slaves - Inference".
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Problem with MGMAT Test #3 RC: slaves [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 17:58
This post received
KUDOS
B) is indeed the right answer, partly because it's reasonable to identify white servant women with white colonists, and partly because no other answer is appropriate. Answers A) and E) are too extreme, and answers C) and D) are out of scope of the argument.

If the colonial legislatures passed laws that applied to the white servant women (and the implication is that they did), then it's reasonable to say that those women qualify as colonists themselves, even if they're not very high status colonists. Sometimes on inference questions you have to have a little bit of cognitive flexibility, because the inferred conclusion will not be completely airtight.

GMAT question writers will sometimes use substitutions or synonyms so that the conclusion doesn't restate the exact language from the set-up (and thus give away the right answer too easily). You rightly point out a small gap here between the premises in the argument and the conclusion in the answer choice, but it's small enough here to be forgivable.

Mimi

Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 26

Re: Problem with MGMAT Test #3 RC: slaves [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 02:08
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,NY Stern,INSEAD,Stanford

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Problem with MGMAT Test #3 RC: slaves [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2010, 06:56
B is best option here.

The first clause of the passage gives the answer(below)
despite the efforts of the various colonial legislatures,

indicates that there is legislation to prevent interbreeding.

Regards,
Nagesh
My GMAT Study Plan: my-gmat-study-plan-112833.html
Idioms List : gmat-idioms-104283.html?hilit=idioms#p813231
--------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if you like my posts

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: In fact, despite the efforts of the various colonial [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 11:03
A) No free African Americans in the American colonies were the offspring of white slave owners.
B) Some colonial legislatures passed laws to prevent interbreeding between white colonists and African Americans.
C) White servants were not as numerous as African American slaves in early America.
D) Most African Americans in the South were born into slavery.
E) Records exist to document all births of free African Americans in colonial America.

I did use POE here to reach B
Re: In fact, despite the efforts of the various colonial   [#permalink] 01 May 2012, 11:03