Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2411 [110]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [22]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [12]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where [#permalink]
Kudos
I’m going to say that B is the right answer. It’s the only one that correctly compares feudal Europe to ‘the American West’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where [#permalink]
Kudos
hi guys. I KNOW c is best but :
1=could someone explain "which" is refer to which noun ? it is a little confusing.
2=how can be parallel this sentence? = developed from+ noun+where... and from which

....."(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies"...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Re: In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where [#permalink]
Kudos
09173140521 wrote:
1=could someone explain "which" is refer to which noun ? it is a little confusing.
2=how can be parallel this sentence? = developed from+ noun+where... and from which

....."(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies"...

Here which clearly refers to clusters and parralelism is mainatained if you look carefully from clusters ..... And from which

We can logically understand the meaning and reference of which is clear is quite clear .

I hope.this helps

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Bookmarks
Srijan2609 wrote:
09173140521 wrote:

Here which clearly refers to clusters and parralelism is mainatained if you look carefully from clusters ..... And from which

We can logically understand the meaning and reference of which is clear is quite clear .

I hope.this helps

I see . but any answer parallelism in GMAT that I SO far examine .....I cannot see this pattern ! all of pattern I see is " from which .....and from which"
but in this case it is not that pattern !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Kudos
In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that required residency on the land itself in order to obtain eventual ownership.

(A) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that

(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies

(C) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the American West's homesteading policies

(D) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the homesteading policies of the American West

(E) Urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside in feudal Europe, unlike the American West where homesteading policies
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
WinWinMBA wrote:
In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that required residency on the land itself in order to obtain eventual ownership.

(A) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that

(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies

(C) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the American West's homesteading policies

(D) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the homesteading policies of the American West

(E) Urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside in feudal Europe, unlike the American West where homesteading policies

VeritasKarishma TheGMATCo AjiteshArun AnthonyRitz

I have doubt with the usage of 'Developed' in option B & every other choice.

'Urban areas developed from cluster houses'- I feel here developed is used as a Past participle & thus, I am unable to find verb.

Had not it must mention 'were developed' as a verb.

Another example from Merriam dictionary, which says 'developed' is a verb- Students developed taste for organic bread.- I understand here students did the action of developing taste. However, in the official question : Urban areas did not develop something but something was developed in Urban areas.

Please help in understanding where I am faltering and clear the gap. Thanks

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:

'Urban areas developed from cluster houses'- I feel here developed is used as a Past participle & thus, I am unable to find verb.

Another example from Merriam dictionary, which says 'developed' is a verb- Students developed taste for organic bread.- I understand here students did the action of developing taste. However, in the official question : Urban areas did not develop something but something was developed in Urban areas.

Hi gmatassassin88,

Develop can be used in multiple ways. For example, it can be used in both these ways:
1. "to cause (something) to grow or become bigger or more advanced"
In something like X will develop Y, we will see an X that performs the action of developing Y.

2. "to grow or become bigger or more advanced"
In this case, there will be no "X". Instead, we can directly introduce the thing that grew or became bigger/more advanced. The example in the dictionary entry I linked to is a good example of this ("a blossom develops from a bud").
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:

Hi gmatassassin88,

Develop can be used in multiple ways. For example, it can be used in both these ways:
In something like X will develop Y, we will see an X that performs the action of developing Y.

In this case, there will be no "X". Instead, we can directly introduce the thing that grew or became bigger/more advanced. The example in the dictionary entry I linked to is a good example of this ("a blossom develops from a bud").

AjiteshArun

I agree in both the options you mentioned - 1) will develop & 2) Blossoms develop from bud - 'Develop' is a verb.

However my concern is about'Develop-ed'.For example

1) Blossoms are developed from bud- 'are developed' is a verb.

2) Blossoms developed from bud/ Blossoms developed from bud seems healthy.- in this 'Developed' is a past participle/verb-ed modifier as in 'Urban areas developed from...'

Please help with your reasoning

Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [2]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:

Hi gmatassassin88,

AjiteshArun

I agree in both the options you mentioned - 1) will develop & 2) Blossoms develop from bud - 'Develop' is a verb.

2) Blossoms developed from bud/ Blossoms developed from bud seems healthy.- in this 'Developed' is a past participle/verb-ed modifier as in 'Urban areas developed from...'

gmatassassin88 wrote:
WinWinMBA wrote:

The point here is that "developed" as a verb can mean either "grew" or "caused to grow" -- not to mention "started to exist, experience, or possess."

The word absolutely can and does function as a verb in the sentence "urban areas developed from cluster houses." Replace with the verb "grew" and it makes perfect sense.

The word absolutely could have functioned as a passive participle in the sense of "grown" if the sentence had followed with another verb, for example in the case "urban areas developed from cluster houses are especially resilient." Replace with the participle "grown" and it makes perfect sense.

"Blossoms developed from buds": Subject "blossoms," simple past active voice verb "developed," direct object prepositional phrase "from buds."
"Blossoms developed from buds seem healthy": Subject "blossoms," passive participle phrase modifier "developed from buds," verb "seem," direct object adjective "healthy."

I hope this helps!

Originally posted by AnthonyRitz on 24 Jul 2020, 12:48.
Last edited by AnthonyRitz on 25 Jul 2020, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

The -ed form may or may not be a verb, but that doesn't mean that developed cannot be used as a verb (it could just be the past tense of develop).

1. Blossoms developed from a bud. ← This complete sentence uses the past tense of develop. Developed is a verb.
2. Blossoms developed from a bud... ← Let's assume that this is not a complete sentence, and that developed is a past participle modifying Blossoms.

Both are valid interpretations, but (2) is somewhat unlikely, as it means that we think that the author wants to discuss a particular type of "blossoms" (those that developed from a bud) and not "blossoms" in general. This potential for confusion does not, however, mean that the author is not permitted to go with (1). Developed is valid as the past tense of develop, and the fact that the past participle of develop takes the same form as the past tense of develop cannot change that. In fact, if we take a different position on this, we will struggle with every single -ed we come across ("the children played in the park").

Now, I think that the difference between played and developed is that the second meaning of develop in the definition I linked to is not as common as played, which is a very common word. However, it is still a perfectly acceptable way to use develop, and (meaning issues aside), blossoms developed from a bud can be treated as a complete sentence.

In this particular question, urban areas developed from clusters of houses just means that clusters of houses eventually "grew into" a ~more advanced version/state (urban areas), probably as the result of decisions taken by a large number of people. This sentence doesn't care about those people though. It's focused solely on urban areas.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

The -ed form may or may not be a verb, but that doesn't mean that developed cannot be used as a verb (it could just be the past tense of develop).

1. Blossoms developed from a bud. ← This complete sentence uses the past tense of develop. Developed is a verb.
2. Blossoms developed from a bud... ← Let's assume that this is not a complete sentence, and that developed is a past participle modifying Blossoms.

Both are valid interpretations, but (2) is somewhat unlikely, as it means that we think that the author wants to discuss a particular type of "blossoms" (those that developed from a bud) and not "blossoms" in general. This potential for confusion does not, however, mean that the author is not permitted to go with (1). Developed is valid as the past tense of develop, and the fact that the past participle of develop takes the same form as the past tense of develop cannot change that. In fact, if we take a different position on this, we will struggle with every single -ed we come across ("the children played in the park").

Now, I think that the difference between played and developed is that the second meaning of develop in the definition I linked to is not as common as played, which is a very common word. However, it is still a perfectly acceptable way to use develop, and (meaning issues aside), blossoms developed from a bud can be treated as a complete sentence.

In this particular question, urban areas developed from clusters of houses just means that clusters of houses eventually "grew into" a ~more advanced version/state (urban areas), probably as the result of decisions taken by a large number of people. This sentence doesn't care about those people though. It's focused solely on urban areas.

AjiteshArun

Thanks Sir,

Your continuous effort to help us improve is VITAL in my Gmat prep journey.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
gmatassassin88 wrote:
AjiteshArun

Hi AnthonyRitz

THANKS FOR MAKING IT ABSOLUTE CLEAR.

so- 1) Blossoms developed from buds- here 'developed' is past tense verb in active voice
2) Blossoms were developed from buds- here 'were developed' is a past tense verb in passive voice

i hope this is correct. This area led to all the confusion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatassassin88 wrote:
Hi AnthonyRitz

THANKS FOR MAKING IT ABSOLUTE CLEAR.

so- 1) Blossoms developed from buds- here 'developed' is past tense verb in active voice
2) Blossoms were developed from buds- here 'were developed' is a past tense verb in passive voice

i hope this is correct. This area led to all the confusion
Yes, that is absolutely correct. :)

Developed as it is used here is past tense, active. Were developed is past tense, passive.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [1]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44 (Online)
GPA: 3.61
Send PM
Kudos
WinWinMBA wrote:

Urban areas developed: IC
Homesteading policies : Noun

IC is not logically parallel to a noun. We need clause to clause or noun-to-noun comparison

B. In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies
In X (IC1), but in Y (IC2) parallel

C. Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the American West’s homesteading policies
Noun vs Clause comparison
Feudal Europe compared to policies

D. Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the homesteading policies of the American West
Same as C

E. Urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside in feudal Europe, unlike the American West where homesteading policies

Connector AND missing – where peasants lived AND from which they commuted
Same error as A
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM

(A) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that -> we are comparing " feudal Europe" to "homesteading policies". It is incorrect.

(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies -> Now comparison is better, "feudal Europe" to "the American West ". Further, "where peasants lived and from which they commuted " are parallel too. Let's keep it.

(C) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the American West's homesteading policies -> Same as A. Incorrect.

(D) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the homesteading policies of the American West -> Same as A. Incorrect.

(E) Urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside in feudal Europe, unlike the American West where homesteading policies -> Now, we are comparing, "Urban areas" to "the American West". It is not the intended meaning. Incorrect.

So, I think B. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
Send PM
WinWinMBA wrote:

Hi AnishPassi Sir, I have a doubt in Option b: We have 2 dependent clauses separated by 'and' 1) where peasants lived and 2)from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside ...so here 1st clause starts with where and 2nd starts with which or from which, so how this usage is correct ? can you pls explain... ( the Below statement is from Manhattan SC guide - 4. Clauses
Only clauses starting with the same word should be made parallel. In general, clauses should not be
made parallel to anything besides another clause ) So is this an exception ?
Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kunalc20 wrote:
WinWinMBA wrote:

Hi AnishPassi Sir, I have a doubt in Option b: We have 2 dependent clauses separated by 'and' 1) where peasants lived and 2)from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside ...so here 1st clause starts with where and 2nd starts with which or from which, so how this usage is correct ? can you pls explain... ( the Below statement is from Manhattan SC guide - 4. Clauses
Only clauses starting with the same word should be made parallel. In general, clauses should not be
made parallel to anything besides another clause ) So is this an exception ?

Hi Kunal,

I do not agree with the statement that “ Only clauses starting with the same word should be made parallel”.

e.g.: John is running, and Bob is sleeping.

This sentence looks fine to me. The two clauses are not starting with the same word.

Here's another one:
The person WHO is running and WHOSE shoelaces are untied will probably fall.

In Option B, the two modifiers:
1. where peasants lived
2. from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside

both are acting as noun modifiers for the same noun, so I do not see any problem with that.

Not sure whether that Manhattan statement is a part of a larger context, or maybe it has been edited in a later edition, but I think it is safe to discard that rule.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts