Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 05:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 20:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that required residency on the land itself in order to obtain eventual ownership.
(A) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that
(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies
(C) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the American West's homesteading policies
(D) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the homesteading policies of the American West
(E) Urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside in feudal Europe, unlike the American West where homesteading policies

Regards,
Brajesh
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 22:52
C it is.

(A) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, unlike homesteading policies in the American West that
---- incomplete clause.

(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies
---- incomplete clause.

(C) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the American West's homesteading policies
correct

(D) Unlike feudal Europe where urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and commuted to farmlands in the countryside, the homesteading policies of the American West
---- wrong comparison --- feudal europe and homesteading policies

(E) Urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside in feudal Europe, unlike the American West where homesteading policies
--- incomplete clause
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 May 2006, 23:08
B is the only one that properly compares Europe to US.
It is a perfectly completed clause.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2006, 05:23
deowl - you are right.

B is the correct answer and it has complete clause.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 May 2006, 06:06
My money is on (B) too. Took over two minutes to crack this one.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 01:40
In Choice B 'from which' refers to what?

i feel (not think) A is okay. I say so because SC is big problem for me.

If it sounds good to my ear then it is right.

Guys/Gals let me know why B is right choice.

I am still learning.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 01:42
Go with C for correct comparison between Europe and American West
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 09:03
remgeo wrote:

What is the difference between "the American West's homesteading policies" and "the homesteading policies of the American West"??

Regards,
Brajesh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 20:02
I agree with C. Mahesh, why did you change from C to B ? what is the reasoning behind that ?

While I see nothing wrong with B (apart from a possibly missing comma after 'but in the american west') I feel that C is more concise and does an appropriate comparison
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 May 2006, 22:16
b14kumar wrote:
remgeo wrote:

What is the difference between "the American West's homesteading policies" and "the homesteading policies of the American West"??

Regards,
Brajesh

Just realised, I made a mistake.I actually meant B, though reason remains the same.
(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies -

Here it says In Europe..... but in American West ....
Correct bcoz it compares Europe and American West.

here it says Unlike Europe...., American West's policies.
Incorrect bcoz it compares Europe and Policies.

Brajesh, as for your question, I dont think there is any difference as such. Both mean the same. In a situation, when both these are present, I too would like to know which one would be a better choice.
Any takers??
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 May 2006, 08:54
OA is B.

Regards,
Brajesh
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 03:59
b14kumar wrote:
OA is B.

Regards,
Brajesh

I think they convey the same meaning. This question is testing parallelism....
Hence B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 04:22
Here the question asks for ||lism:

(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies required residency on the land itself in order to obtain eventual ownership.

b14kumar wrote:
OA is B.

Regards,
Brajesh

Coming to your question, we generally use the apostrophe 's with animate beings like people, animals (but mostly people) :

>>Mary's books
>>The cat's tail

If we are talking about inanimate beings, we prefer the usage of "of" :

>>The success of her new album
>>Branches of management
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 05:45
B.

Strangly enough i was debating between B and E, as both seem to be parallel, however E is not a complete claus.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 09:11
Can someone explain why C is not the right choice?

I was going with C.

Thanks for the explanations for B.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2006, 19:50
selene wrote:
Here the question asks for ||lism:

(B) In feudal Europe, urban areas developed from clusters of houses where peasants lived and from which they commuted to farmlands in the countryside, but in the American West homesteading policies required residency on the land itself in order to obtain eventual ownership.

b14kumar wrote:
OA is B.

Regards,
Brajesh

Coming to your question, we generally use the apostrophe 's with animate beings like people, animals (but mostly people) :

>>Mary's books
>>The cat's tail

If we are talking about inanimate beings, we prefer the usage of "of" :

>>The success of her new album
>>Branches of management

:wow This makes sense.
:good

Thanks Selene.

Regards,
Brajesh
  [#permalink] 08 Jun 2006, 19:50