Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 18:33
In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the transformation of the machine-tool industry as the industry moved from reliance on skilled artisans to automation. Noble writes from a Marxist perspective, and his central argument is that management, in its decisions to automate, conspired against labor: the power that the skilled machinists wielded in the industry was intolerable to management. Noble fails to substantiate this claim, although his argument is impressive when he applies the Marxist concept of “de-skilling”—the use of technology to replace skilled labor—to the automation of the machine-tool industry. In automating, the industry moved to computer-based, digitized “numerical-control” (N/C) technology, rather than to artisan-generated “record-playback” (R/P) technology.
Although both systems reduced reliance on skilled labor, Noble clearly prefers R/P, with its inherent acknowledgment of workers’ skills: unlike N/C, its programs were produced not by engineers at their computers, but by skilled machinists, who recorded their own movements to “teach” machines to duplicate those movements. However, Noble’s only evidence of conspiracy is that, although the two approaches were roughly equal in technical merit, management chose N/C. From this he concludes that automation is undertaken not because efficiency demands it or scientific advances allow it, but because it is a tool in the ceaseless war of capitalists against labor.
1. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with
(A) reexamining a political position and defending its validity
(B) examining a management decision and defending its necessity
(C) analyzing a scholarly study and pointing out a central weakness
(D) explaining a trend in automation and warning about its dangers
(E) chronicling the history of an industry and criticizing its development

2. According to information in the passage, the term “de-skilling” refers to the
(A) loss of skills to industry when skilled workers are replaced by unskilled laborers
(B) substitution of mechanized processes for labor formerly performed by skilled workers
(C) labor theory that automation is technologically comparable to skilled labor
(D) process by which skilled machinists “teach” machines to perform certain tasks
(E) exclusion of skilled workers from participation in the development of automated technology
3. Which of the following best characterizes the function of the second paragraph of the passage?
(A) It develops a topic introduced in the first paragraph.
(B) It provides evidence to refute a claim presented in the first paragraph.
(C) It gives examples of a phenomenon mentioned in the first paragraph.
(D) It presents a generalization about examples given in the first paragraph.
(E) It suggests two possible solutions to a problem presented in the first paragraph.
4. The passage suggests which of the following about N/C automation in the machine-tool industry?
(A) It displaced fewer skilled workers than R/P automation did.
(B) It could have been implemented either by experienced machinists or by computer engineers.x
(C) It was designed without the active involvement skilled machinists. X
(D) It was more difficult to design than R/P automation was.x
(E) It was technically superior to R/P automation. X
5. Which of the following phrases most clearly reveals the attitude of the author of the passage toward Noble’s central argument?
(A) “conspired against” (line 6)
(B) “intolerable to management” (line 7)
(C) “impressive when he applies the Marxist concept” (line 9) x
(D) “clearly prefers” (line 16)
(E) “only evidence of conspiracy” (line 21)
6. The author of the passage commends Noble’s book for which of the following?
(A) Concentrating on skilled as opposed to unskilled workers in its discussion of the machine-tool industry
(B) Offering a generalization about the motives behind the machine-tool industry’s decision to automate
(C) Making an essential distinction between two kinds of technology employed in the machine-tool industry x
(D) Calling into question the notion that managers conspired against labor in the automation of the machine-tool industry x
(E) Applying the concept of de-skilling to the machine tool industry

I donn't know how to choose this correct question for 6?


7. Which of the following best characterizes Forces of Production as it is described in the passage?
(A) A comparison of two interpretations of how a particular industry evolved
(B) An examination of the origin of a particular concept in industrial economics
(C) A study that points out the weakness of a particular interpretation of an industrial phenomenon x
(D) A history of a particular industry from an ideological point of view
(E) An attempt to relate an industrial phenomenon in one industry to a similar phenomenon in another industry x
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 950
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 0

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 07:46
Although his argument is impressive when he applies the Marxist concept of “de-skilling”—the use of technology to replace skilled labor—to the automation of the machine-tool industry.

Above two lines indicate the authors praise/commendation for Noble.

Option E is clearly a paraphrase of this.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1593
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 16:52
i get

B
B
A
D
E
E
D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 8

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:13
i get

1.C
2.B
3.A
4.C
5.E
6.E
Quote:
Noble fails to substantiate this claim, although his argument is impressive when he applies the Marxist concept of “de-skilling”—the use of technology to replace skilled labor

7.D
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1593
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:40
1 is C, my mistake
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 8

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:50
pmenon wrote:
1 is C, my mistake

what about 4, you went for D
but the passage says
Quote:
although the two approaches were roughly equal in technical merit, management chose N/C
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1593
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2008, 06:55
shoot ... ok, i dont think its D anymore ...

this is what you get when doing GMAT q's while trying to watch BBC's Planet Earth ! :)
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2008, 16:48
yankevi wrote:
In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the transformation of the machine-tool industry as the industry moved from reliance on skilled artisans to automation. Noble writes from a Marxist perspective, and his central argument is that management, in its decisions to automate, conspired against labor: the power that the skilled machinists wielded in the industry was intolerable to management. Noble fails to substantiate this claim, although his argument is impressive when he applies the Marxist concept of “de-skilling”—the use of technology to replace skilled labor—to the automation of the machine-tool industry. In automating, the industry moved to computer-based, digitized “numerical-control” (N/C) technology, rather than to artisan-generated “record-playback” (R/P) technology.
Although both systems reduced reliance on skilled labor, Noble clearly prefers R/P, with its inherent acknowledgment of workers’ skills: unlike N/C, its programs were produced not by engineers at their computers, but by skilled machinists, who recorded their own movements to “teach” machines to duplicate those movements. However, Noble’s only evidence of conspiracy is that, although the two approaches were roughly equal in technical merit, management chose N/C. From this he concludes that automation is undertaken not because efficiency demands it or scientific advances allow it, but because it is a tool in the ceaseless war of capitalists against labor.
1. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with
(A) reexamining a political position and defending its validity
(B) examining a management decision and defending its necessity
(C) analyzing a scholarly study and pointing out a central weakness
(D) explaining a trend in automation and warning about its dangers
(E) chronicling the history of an industry and criticizing its development

2. According to information in the passage, the term “de-skilling” refers to the
(A) loss of skills to industry when skilled workers are replaced by unskilled laborers
(B) substitution of mechanized processes for labor formerly performed by skilled workers
(C) labor theory that automation is technologically comparable to skilled labor
(D) process by which skilled machinists “teach” machines to perform certain tasks
(E) exclusion of skilled workers from participation in the development of automated technology
3. Which of the following best characterizes the function of the second paragraph of the passage?
(A) It develops a topic introduced in the first paragraph.
(B) It provides evidence to refute a claim presented in the first paragraph.
(C) It gives examples of a phenomenon mentioned in the first paragraph.
(D) It presents a generalization about examples given in the first paragraph.
(E) It suggests two possible solutions to a problem presented in the first paragraph.
4. The passage suggests which of the following about N/C automation in the machine-tool industry?
(A) It displaced fewer skilled workers than R/P automation did.
(B) It could have been implemented either by experienced machinists or by computer engineers.x
(C) It was designed without the active involvement skilled machinists. X
(D) It was more difficult to design than R/P automation was.x
(E) It was technically superior to R/P automation. X
5. Which of the following phrases most clearly reveals the attitude of the author of the passage toward Noble’s central argument?
(A) “conspired against” (line 6)
(B) “intolerable to management” (line 7)
(C) “impressive when he applies the Marxist concept” (line 9) x
(D) “clearly prefers” (line 16)
(E) “only evidence of conspiracy” (line 21)
6. The author of the passage commends Noble’s book for which of the following?
(A) Concentrating on skilled as opposed to unskilled workers in its discussion of the machine-tool industry
(B) Offering a generalization about the motives behind the machine-tool industry’s decision to automate
(C) Making an essential distinction between two kinds of technology employed in the machine-tool industry x
(D) Calling into question the notion that managers conspired against labor in the automation of the machine-tool industry x
(E) Applying the concept of de-skilling to the machine tool industry

I donn't know how to choose this correct question for 6?


7. Which of the following best characterizes Forces of Production as it is described in the passage?
(A) A comparison of two interpretations of how a particular industry evolved
(B) An examination of the origin of a particular concept in industrial economics
(C) A study that points out the weakness of a particular interpretation of an industrial phenomenon x
(D) A history of a particular industry from an ideological point of view
(E) An attempt to relate an industrial phenomenon in one industry to a similar phenomenon in another industry x


1C
2B
3A
4C
5E
6C
7D
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3404
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 17:33
my ans

C
B
A
C
E--was debating between E and C
E
D..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2006
Posts: 229
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 22:10
I couldn't understand question 5. I picked C for this.

What do we look out for? What is the attitude that is depicted by option 'E'?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 16:15
Please post the OAs
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 735
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: RC one passage. [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 18:53
1.C
2.B
3.A
4.C
5.E
Edited 5: It should be passage Writer's opinion, not Noble's
6.E
7.D
Re: RC one passage.   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2008, 18:53
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the anilnandyala 13 07 Nov 2010, 19:26
1 In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the transforma gautrang 2 11 May 2010, 18:38
In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the ConkergMat 8 03 Feb 2009, 05:38
In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the vscid 7 09 Feb 2008, 14:41
Ps: noble knights Amit05 1 31 Oct 2007, 09:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In Forces of Production, David Noble examines the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.