Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 22:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic recession because many businesses cut back operations. However, any future recessions in Vargonia will probably not reduce the availability of teaching jobs at government-funded schools. This is because Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that education in government-funded schools be available, free of charge, to all Vargonian children regardless of the state of the economy, and that current student-teacher ratios not be exceeded.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. The current student-teacher ratio at Vargonia’s government-funded schools is higher than it was during the most recent period of economic recession.
B. During recent periods when the Vargonian economy has been strong, almost 25 percent of Vargonian children have attended privately funded schools, many of which charge substantial fees.
C. Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia’s government-funded schools than had been employed in those schools in the period before the last economic recession.
D. Teachers in Vargonia’s government-funded schools are well paid relative to teachers in most privately funded schools in Vargonia, many of which rely heavily on part-time teachers.
E. During the last economic recession in Vargonia, the government permanently closed a number of the schools that it had funded.

Please explain.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Vargonian Recession [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 22:27
C. Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia’s government-funded schools than had been employed in those schools in the period before the last economic recession.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 22:49
nocilis wrote:
why?
If even after the recession more teachers are emplyoeed in Govt funded scholls, any future recessions in Vargonia will probably also not reduce the availability of teaching jobs at government-funded schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2005, 23:47
The conclusion is "any future recessions in vargonia will not reduce the availability of teaching jobs at government funded schools"

We want something that strenthens this conclusion.

A. The current student-teacher ratio at Vargonia’s government-funded schools is higher than it was during the most recent period of economic recession.
- High student-teacher ratio after a recession suggests loss of teaching jobs.

B. During recent periods when the Vargonian economy has been strong, almost 25 percent of Vargonian children have attended privately funded schools, many of which charge substantial fees.
- Out of scope

- This one strenthens the claim that availability of teaching jobs will not be affected by recessions.

D. Teachers in Vargonia’s government-funded schools are well paid relative to teachers in most privately funded schools in Vargonia, many of which rely heavily on part-time teachers.
- Out of scope

E. During the last economic recession in Vargonia, the government permanently closed a number of the schools that it had funded.
- Not important.

C it is.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 09:06
hmmm...I picked "B" and here is why.....In good times 25% student go to high price schools, when things go down, these students will go to low price free schools. As students increases to these schools, no of teachers has to go up as the ratio needs to remain the same.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 09:17
from nocilis's query it looks like the OA is (C).

I liked (B).

(C) has many problems. First percentages dont say much. Second we dont know if Vargonia is in recesson now. Just that before prev recession say 100 teachers were present now there are 120 teachers. This does not say much.

I was looking for some assumptions here, to strengthen the argument, such as
1) more students switch to free education when economy dwindles
2) more students go to school rather than work part time somewhere to support family etc when the economy dwindles.

Last edited by anandnk on 11 Mar 2005, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 09:59
I actually don't have the OA for this. I was merely asking for a reason why C was chosen.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 17:54
agree with anand/banerjee.. (B)
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 18:10
People might pounce on me after reading this.

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic recession because many businesses cut back operations.
-------> it is possible that schools might get closed assuming people dont have money to spend for schools, number of students declines, school revenue goes down, and schools get closed. Basically schools are being run as businesses.

Now if the schools are not run as businesses and education is free then students wont quit and it is possible that those people who are in private schools might turn to public schools. There is atleast some possibility that number of students will increase. Since student ratio has to remain same, number of teachers will have to increase.

Assume all the students in vargonia attended public schools then there would be no increase in student population at public schools and to maintain the student to teacher ration there would be no need to add extra teachers.

To strengthern the argument we have to show that there are students in private schools.

This is my logic.

(C) can be shot down saying the student population has increased.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Vargonian Recession [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 21:45
nocilis wrote:
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic recession because many businesses cut back operations. However, any future recessions in Vargonia will probably not reduce the availability of teaching jobs at government-funded schools. This is because Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that education in government-funded schools be available, free of charge, to all Vargonian children regardless of the state of the economy, and that current student-teacher ratios not be exceeded.

Please explain.

go with B.

In economic prosperity, children attended privately funded schools. And in economic recession, children attended public schools.

It is a typical support method ETS like.

If A, then B. If not A, then not B.

In C, current doesn't mean future. The conclusion talked about future.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Vargonian Recession [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 08:59
chunjuwu wrote:
nocilis wrote:

Please explain.

go with B.

In economic prosperity, children attended privately funded schools. And in economic recession, children attended public schools.

It is a typical support method ETS like.

If A, then B. If not A, then not B.

In C, current doesn't mean future. The conclusion talked about future.

In C, the future is implied in the sentence.

Currently (now) --> Nearly 20% more teachers employed than the last rescession. So the future in the sentence is the current moment, as it's compared to a previous recession.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 09:06
anandnk wrote:
People might pounce on me after reading this.

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic recession because many businesses cut back operations.
-------> it is possible that schools might get closed assuming people dont have money to spend for schools, number of students declines, school revenue goes down, and schools get closed. Basically schools are being run as businesses.

Now if the schools are not run as businesses and education is free then students wont quit and it is possible that those people who are in private schools might turn to public schools. There is atleast some possibility that number of students will increase. Since student ratio has to remain same, number of teachers will have to increase.

Assume all the students in vargonia attended public schools then there would be no increase in student population at public schools and to maintain the student to teacher ration there would be no need to add extra teachers.

To strengthern the argument we have to show that there are students in private schools.

This is my logic.

(C) can be shot down saying the student population has increased.

Anandnk, I won't pounce on you because you're the respected CEO of this forum ! :wink:

But I like to add refute something about your take on (B). Your argument had the assumption that private school students will transfer to public schools. In my opinion, this is too big an assumption to make, don't you think so, especially for CR questions where we need to derive most of the facts from the question stimulus, or from answer chocies. (C) does not make any assumptions. We know from (C), that before the last recession, there was 20% less teachers. And with the same reasoning I gave for rejecting your take, is that 'student population has increased' is again an assumption which we can't draw from the passage. What do you think ?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 10:07
ywilfred wrote:

Anandnk, I won't pounce on you because you're the respected CEO of this forum ! :wink:

But I like to add refute something about your take on (B). Your argument had the assumption that private school students will transfer to public schools. In my opinion, this is too big an assumption to make, don't you think so, especially for CR questions where we need to derive most of the facts from the question stimulus, or from answer chocies. (C) does not make any assumptions. We know from (C), that before the last recession, there was 20% less teachers. And with the same reasoning I gave for rejecting your take, is that 'student population has increased' is again an assumption which we can't draw from the passage. What do you think ?

Hmm

I just think that population increase might have contributed to this growth because the first figure is just before the recession and now we dont know we have recession or not.
One way (C) could be strengthened is that student population increased and to maintain the student/teacher ratio more teachers were hired and hence now the figure is 20% more.

If this is true then I didnt understand why the education has to be free. One reason could be that if education is free then more eligible students will enroll.

I am out of explanations now and the biggest pain is nocilis does not know the OA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 10:24
hmm.... making education free could be all part of a 'no kid get left behind' program, but that's an assumption I don't want to make.

You said "Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia’s government-funded schools than had been employed in those schools in the period before the last economic recession.
"

But we're told in (C) a economic recession had just passed, and after recession 20% more teachers are employed. Doesn't this imply 'future' since we have a case of a past event (economic recession that's just over) and a 'future' event (which, is currently)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 11:52
Again, I don't have the OA for this, sorry.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Vargonian Recession [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 16:13
nocilis wrote:

Please explain.

c makes some sense, however if you assume that the number of students employed went up by 100% the increase in number of teachers does not look all that impressive

I went with A, the oddball in this case. Say the current student-teacher ratio is 10 to 1, while during the most recent period of ec. recession it was 5 to 1. That means that currently there is not enough teachers in the school system to do the job and that a system is strained, or that teachers didn't lose their jobs in the previous recession despite the drop in the students. Hence the availability of teaching jobs will not drop as a result of a recession. Maybe I'm taking this too far, just my 2 cents.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Vargonian Recession [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 22:43
Fact: Gov funded schools are available to all children, and the student-teacher ratio should not be exceeded.
Claim: Any resession will not reduce the teaching jobs at gov funded schools.

From the link of facts to conclusion I could get the author's assumption (not mine) that the number of children going to public school is not going to decrease during the future recessions.

Ask for strengthen.

That's kind of irrelevant.

This is very interesting. In a recession people may have less income so less likely to send their children to private schools. In other words more children would go to public schools. This couples with the student teacher ratio requirement would garentee that public school teacher positions not decreased (assuming total school age population does not shrink drastically in any future recessions).

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant.

Again, irrelevant.

(B)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 13:23
I am not convinced on why i should not pick (A).

The current student-teacher ratio at Vargonia’s government-funded schools is higher than it was during the most recent period of economic recession.

If the current student-teacher ratio is 100/10 (i.e. 10 teachers for 100 students), then it follows (unlike ywilfred's thoughts in his first explanation) that if this ratio (100/10) were higher than during recession, then more teachers were employed. For 100/10 to be greater than a ratio, 100/x (where x is the no. of teachers), then x must be greater than 10.

Generally speaking, (A) offers typical statistics that support the argument.

IMO, the other choices are either out-of-scope or unnecessary. The reasoning being applied to (B) is like building a castle from nothing! Hmmm, i wish the OA were available.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 13:27
Oh, just read your post, Lastoch, and i completely agree with you. My reasoning is same.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 23:48
Oops sorry. I see the issue. I change to (B). It is (B)
I neglected the first sentence of the stimulus, which is key! The private schools will most likely cut down during recession and students will likely leave to govt. funded schools, which will not cut down, etc etc etc.
  [#permalink] 14 Mar 2005, 23:48