Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 156
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 09:59
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

47% (02:42) correct 53% (01:58) wrong based on 90 sessions
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic recession because many businesses cut back operations. However, any future recessions in Vargonia will probably not reduce the availability of teaching jobs at government-funded schools. This is because Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that education in government-funded schools be available, free of charge, to all Vargonian children regardless of the state of the economy, and that current student-teacher ratios not be exceeded.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. The current student-teacher ratio at Vargonia's government-funded schools is higher than it was during the most recent period of economic recession.
B. During recent periods when the Vargonian economy has been strong, almost 25 percent of Vargonian children have attended privately funded schools, many of which charge substantial fees.
C. Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia's government-funded schools than had been employed in those schools in the period before the last economic recession.
D. Teachers in Vargonia's government-funded schools are well paid relative to teachers in most privately funded schools in Vargonia, many of which rely heavily on part-time teachers.
E. During the last economic recession in Vargonia, the government permanently closed a number of the schools that it had funded

OA to follow
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2009
Posts: 55
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [4] , given: 4

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 10:23
4
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is B, because during the recession, children will switch from school privately fund which charge substantial fee to school free of charge fund by the government, so the ratio student to teacher will increase, and provoke more need in term of teacher.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 196
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 1

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 12:33
IMO:B
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 889
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 33

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 21:25
I choose "A" because current student-teacher ratio is higher than it was during the recent economic recession. This implies that studen teacher ratio can't be increased any further and all children have to study. So teacher will be needed and they won't loose the job even during the recession.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 Sep 2006
Posts: 889
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 33

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2009, 21:27
ludwigfraboulet wrote:
The answer is B, because during the recession, children will switch from school privately fund which charge substantial fee to school free of charge fund by the government, so the ratio student to teacher will increase, and provoke more need in term of teacher.


But Govt. legalized that studen teacher ratio should not exceed!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 156
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 4

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2009, 06:55
OA is...
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B. ludwigfraboulet provided the right explanation
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 13:02
ludwigfraboulet wrote:
The answer is B, because during the recession, children will switch from school privately fund which charge substantial fee to school free of charge fund by the government, so the ratio student to teacher will increase, and provoke more need in term of teacher.


and why do you assume that children will switch from private to public during economic recession?
For me that is assuming TO MUCH.
Please clarify,
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2010
Posts: 150
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 22:38
B is correct.
_________________

consider cudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jan 2010
Posts: 194
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 19:51
I went for C ....explanation for B ,,,,is good ......but taking a similar assumption there is a similar no. of students during last recession ....teachers increased by nearly 20% ....so i felt it C......
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 00:45
tryingharder wrote:
B is correct.


could you elaborate on that, taking into account my previous post?
thanks.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1560
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 12:10
I narrowed to B and C but selected C because i felt that B calls for a leap of assumption.

I have same reasoning as vudsri000 for C.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2010
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 04:48
I chose C as well . B is an assumption that children will switch to free eduction during times of recession .

Can someone please explain why the OA is B ?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 06:50
sizzler85 wrote:
I chose C as well . B is an assumption that children will switch to free eduction during times of recession .

Can someone please explain why the OA is B ?


the same
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 36

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 07:12
D and E are clearly irrelevant.

C. Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia's government-funded schools than had been employed in those schools in the period before the last economic recession. ------> This comparison is useless unless its a recent situation VS current situation. And does that support the conclusion? Absolutely not !
Conclusion : The teaching jobs @ Govt funded schools will NOT reduce due to future economic recession.

A is pretty much outside the scope since the passage didn't gave us any data about the ratio. May be that ratio will not be maintained in the future. Who knows?

seekmba wrote:
I narrowed to B and C but selected C because i felt that B calls for a leap of assumption.

I have same reasoning as vudsri000 for C.

_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 176
WE 1: 3 (Mining Operations)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 07:40
Well, I disagree. IMO A,
B cannot be true because we are making many assumptions.
1) The students will switch from Pvt to Govt.
2) The parents will consider that "Cheaper Education" is better during recession, and will clearly ignore the Educational aspects for the sake of Assumption. They may decide that cut mis expenditure, but provide good education to children !!!!
3) What if those 25% just quit the school, and do not join any School !!!

Now as the support of A goes. The option clearly states that Ratio of Students: Teacher = is MORE. and "This is because Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement "
Its clear that to fulfill the requirement, Teaching jobs @ Govt schools have to Increase.
_________________

Regards,
Invincible...:)
"The way to succeed is to double your error rate."
"Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit."

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 2

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 11:30
praveenism wrote:
Well, I disagree. IMO A,
B cannot be true because we are making many assumptions.
1) The students will switch from Pvt to Govt.
2) The parents will consider that "Cheaper Education" is better during recession, and will clearly ignore the Educational aspects for the sake of Assumption. They may decide that cut mis expenditure, but provide good education to children !!!!
3) What if those 25% just quit the school, and do not join any School !!!

Now as the support of A goes. The option clearly states that Ratio of Students: Teacher = is MORE. and "This is because Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement "
Its clear that to fulfill the requirement, Teaching jobs @ Govt schools have to Increase.


could you elaborate a little bit more?
Thanks,
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 79
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 32

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 11:43
+1 for B.

Conclusion: Future Recession will probably wont reduce the availability of teaching jobs at Govt-funded schools

Evidence/Support to the conclusion:
(1) Free of charge
(2) Student/Teacher ratio not to be exceed.

The one that may effect the (2) above is answer:B, because of the switch from Pvt schools to Govt school.

Cheers!
Ravi
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Posts: 122
Location: india
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 01:26
B FOR ME
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 27
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 00:52
A: The current student-teacher ratio at Vargonia's government-funded schools is higher
from the stem:that current student-teacher ratios not be exceeded.

combined: the current ratio, even though is higher than that in previous recession , is the standard ratio which is not to be exceeded. Therefore, current ratio does not guarantee that more teachers will be likely to be hired in the future. Slightly weakening I'd say...
If the future ratio is higher, then there will be more hiring of the teachers. So, to ensure more hiring, we have to increase the number of student in the public school in the future,hence B.

Having said that, I too chose A...just because it looked good, under pressure :shock: .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 313
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 20

Re: In general, jobs are harder to get [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 02:43
My logic:
In terms of recession, mant students quit school irrespective of the free or paid education. This reduces the no of students and hence the student-teacher ratio was affected. Hence schools were closed as no students turned up to study.

B clealy states that the no of students even in case of recession went to paid schools. So the no of students to free schools would be more. In such a scenario, the student-teacher ratio would not atleast decrease.
Re: In general, jobs are harder to get   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2010, 02:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic mymba99 6 24 May 2008, 07:00
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic nakib77 9 23 Dec 2005, 23:57
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic okdongdong 6 10 Aug 2005, 02:56
In general , jobs are harder to get in times of economic src 3 06 Aug 2005, 19:46
In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic nocilis 22 10 Mar 2005, 22:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.