Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [30]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 509 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [3]
Given Kudos: 833
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: In geology, the term transform fault potential denotes the extent to [#permalink]
ankurgupta03 wrote:
I think the answer to the question should be B

I think it should be "with an instantenaous strain release" if you wanted Active voice. Experts please comment.

"A plate is moved by sh"
"A plate moves with sh" ??
Does one move with strides or by strides? Or perhaps in strides?
Don't know :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In geology, the term transform fault potential denotes the extent to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In geology, the term “transform fault potential” denotes the extent to which one tectonic plate could be moved along a major transform fault line, such as California’s San Andreas, by an instantaneous strain release, commonly known as an earthquake.

A. the extent to which one tectonic plate could be moved

B. the extent to which one tectonic plate could move

C. the extent that one tectonic plate could be moved

D. the extent of one tectonic plate moving

E. the extent of the movement of one tectonic plate

In geology, the term “transform fault potential” denotes the extent to which one tectonic plate could be moved along a major transform fault line, such as California’s San Andreas, by an instantaneous strain release, commonly known as an earthquake.

U need passive voice in the answer choices to match with the colored part in non underlined portion.

B,C and E are out.. Extent to which is correct. So, My take A..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HumptyDumpty wrote

Quote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:

Dear HumptyDumpty, Where is taht quote that you have mentioed babout ankurgupta in which he says the ans is B ? As far I as I see, I find anly A as his answer/Or has somebody edited the earlier version. I am curious to know the explanation by ankur for choosing the answer B, if it is so.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Many of the idioms are context -related. In this case, -by an instantaneous - is the accepted one - we can see after all it is not underlined. So, there is no ambiguity about that. All other forms can be evaluated only after seeing the contexts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 568 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE:Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hi mates,

Can someone explain me whats wrong with D

Moving is a +ing modifier right? and its modifying technoic plate..Then what is the wrong with tat?

I have a query could be moved is this also a form of to be +verbed type?

AM being a non-native speaker can some1 throw light on this

I am considering two sentences:
The road lane could be moved - meaning: the road lane is about to be moved very soon in the future
Te books are about to be sold- meaning: the books are about to be sold soon in future

Is the meaning for both the sentences correct?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Expert Reply
skamal7 wrote:
Hi mates,

Can someone explain me whats wrong with D

Moving is a +ing modifier right? and its modifying technoic plate..Then what is the wrong with tat?

I have a query could be moved is this also a form of to be +verbed type?

AM being a non-native speaker can some1 throw light on this

I am considering two sentences:
The road lane could be moved - meaning: the road lane is about to be moved very soon in the future
Te books are about to be sold- meaning: the books are about to be sold soon in future

Is the meaning for both the sentences correct?

Hi Skamal, there is one person who can explain exactly what is wrong with answer choice D... and his name... is Vanilla Ice!

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2013/03 ... orrection/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
HumptyDumpty wrote

Quote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:

Dear HumptyDumpty, Where is taht quote that you have mentioed babout ankurgupta in which he says the ans is B ? As far I as I see, I find anly A as his answer/Or has somebody edited the earlier version. I am curious to know the explanation by ankur for choosing the answer B, if it is so.

I suppose he must have edited his post! I simply qouted it at the time given :).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
@HumptyDumpty
It looks so. I agree with you in toto.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Correct answer is A. - the extent to which one tectonic plate could be moved

Earthquake moves the tectonic plate (since its in passive.. so we need to say, extent to which one tectonic plane could be moved "by")
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1870 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
HumptyDumpty wrote:
Damn Hippie, your questions are really tough! Very valuable!

thelosthippie wrote:

Passive voice "be moved" is needed because we have the doer: "by an instantaneous strain release". A/C dillema:

A. the extent to which one tectonic plate could be moved
"to some extent" is idiomatic. Correct.
C. the extent that one tectonic plate could be moved
Could one be moved an extent? I don't know such idiom, but perhaps...

Open to dispute.

Thank you HumptyDumpty 8-)

Yeah that's the answer 'A'

Note the phrase “…by an instantaneous strain release…” – this phrase requires that the plate doesn’t move on its own, but has another actor moving it (the earthquake). So this question requires the phrase “a plate could be moved…(by an earthquake)” to supply that actor. So only A and C are in play. And while A may sound a bit clunky with the “extent to which…” phrasing, put that in your own context. You’d say “to a large extent” or “to some extent” – and in either case the word “extent” begs for the word “to”. So A must be correct in order to complete that phrasing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal ,

sorry for tagging directly but i am very confused with this one. I was trying to eliminate options using preposition followed by extent but they all seems correct to me. Please tell me correct usage of Extent That/of/to .
Thanks in advance :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
Send PM
bonjour_india wrote:
Hi EMPOWERgmatVerbal ,

sorry for tagging directly but i am very confused with this one. I was trying to eliminate options using preposition followed by extent but they all seems correct to me. Please tell me correct usage of Extent That/of/to .
Thanks in advance :)

Hi!

(A) the extent to which one tectonic plate could be moved

(B) the extent to which one tectonic plate could move

we dont even need to rely on idioms.
Did you notice - by an instantaneous strain release?
So we need could be moved BY. Hence A is correct
I think most of the times idioms are not the only way to select an answer
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

Why is option B incorrect here? Is "could be moved by an instantaneous force" correct because it's more idiomatic than, "could move by an instantaneous force"?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts