Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 12:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 39

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 10:10
I dont think this is a good question.

why B is wrong?
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 67

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2012, 15:54
http://www.beatthegmat.com/many-of-them ... t8979.html

I found that Kaplan instructor expalined in the above mentioned link that use of them is a pronoun ambiguity.

but i dont agree to it, since the relative pronoun should refer back to the nearest noun in number. The nearest noun for it is " workers" which agrees in number also, so how is it ambiguity.

however I feel that correct answer is B
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 1850 [0], given: 253

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 02:28
Expert's post
Many have argued that the object pronoun ‘them’ may refer to either the fields or the workers. But, can it logically referto the fields? If we accept that premise, then we have to accept that the fields appear around the San Joaquin Valley town for the season, and then disappear or take a vacation in the non- season or in not so good years, and then reappear. Can this logic hold well?

On the contrary, in the context, we can assign such mobility only to workers; so I see no dilemma of ‘them’ referring to the fields.

Can we delve into these points? We can’t crack such hard nuts, unless there is an official version to this kind of hair- pullers.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 07:32
I chose B because I felt the pronoun "them" was ambiguous and could have referred to the workers or the fields. I felt "whom" cleared up the ambiguity because it can only refer to a person or people. I also felt that the subject should have been "patchwork", not "fields" and chose "surrounds" but I'm less sure of that.

I was torn between B and A though because, "many of them in the area just for the season" does immediately follow "workers" and could mean there should be no ambiguity between the pronoun and anticedent.

I would be swayed to A if someone could clear up my pronoun concerns

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 24

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 14:32
There are no grammatical issues (including S/V agreement inside the modifying clause) between A and B. It all comes down to meaning of the beginning and the modifier at the end. Proof:

The box of pencils that is on the table is mine.
The box of pencils that are all broken is mine.

In the first example, the pronoun in the relative clause is modifying the box because it is discussing the location of the container of the pencils, not the pencils themselves. There is no S/V agreement error because the pronoun "that" starting the relative clause is the subject of the verb "is" inside of the relative clause and the pronoun "that" refers to the box, which is singular.

In the second example, the pronoun in the relative clause is modifying the pencils because it is discussing the broken state of many objects. There is no S/V agreement error because the pronoun "that" starting the relative clause is the subject of the verb "are" inside of the relative clause and the pronoun "that" refers to the pencils, which are plural.

Therefore, in the posted question, consider the meaning of the modifying relative clause or rely on the modifier at the end to decide between A and B. Personally, I think A has a better meaning in the initial modifier (though a "patchwork" can surround a valley, it is probably the fields that are surrounding the valley), but B has a more clear ending (and clarity is much better than brevity - stop using length to justify answers). Therefore, in my book it's a wash and this is a bad question.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 11:13
the "that" modifier modifies green fields by the "touch rule", hence the use of the plural verb "surround". While bustles refers to the patchwork.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 155

Kudos [?]: 1511 [0], given: 122

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:07
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
Correct. S-V agreement.
- The patchwork --> bustles (singular vs singular)
- green fields that surround (plural vs plural)

(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
Wrong. "green fields" is plural ==> "surrounds" is wrong

(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
Wrong. "many of who" is grammatically incorrect. The correct one is "many of them"

(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
Wrong. "the patchwork" is singular ==> "bustle" is wrong. Should be "bustles"

(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are
Wrong. "green fields" is plural ==> "surrounds" is wrong

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 18

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 06:46
My answers is B, Can one explain , I think the the subject is patchwork and not green fields
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 215

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 10:52
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them -- Hold it
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are --- S-V error green fields (plural surround SJV not surrounds)
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are -- run on sentence
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which -- which can not refer back to people (wrong)
(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are -- run on sentence

Detail explanations are welcome.

POE A wins.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 03:35
Can a Subject be in "preposition phrase" as in "of Green fields" so i thought
Sub: The patchwork - Verb : surround

Am i going wrong anywhere?
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 5

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 00:49
Is this a GMAT type question? The first statement is itself very ambiguous as it is difficult to make out what is the actual subject of the statement.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 499 [0], given: 215

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 03:31
The patchwork of green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them in the area just for the season.

Bold part denotes subject verb.
underlined part denotes extra information about green fields.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 156

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 00:51
Many experts here http://www.beatthegmat.com/many-of-them ... t8979.html
agree its B can anyone get in deep with this question?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 4

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 10:27
Not a great question. Ideally, if you want the "that" to refer back to "green fields", you should put the definite article "the" before "green fields". They are talking about specific green fields (the ones that surround the xxx valley). In the absence of "the", "patchwork" is the more likely candidate.

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 05:13
1st split: "surround" is required for "green fields" -> eliminate b and e
2nd split: "many of ..."
Here is the thing: 3 correct forms include "many of whom ARE...", "many of them..." and "many..." (MGMAT SC Modifier)
Among a, c and d, only a belongs to one of those above -> choose a
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 06:39
I chose B

The "patch work of green fields"... the "of" preposition would indicate that patch work is the subject which would therefore require the singular verb "surrounds" eliminating A,C, and D. Between B and E, its obvious that B is the better choice with, "many of whom". Not seeing how A is the right answer.
Director
Director
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 46

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 07:00
ShawnG wrote:
I chose B

The "patch work of green fields"... the "of" preposition would indicate that patch work is the subject which would therefore require the singular verb "surrounds" eliminating A,C, and D. Between B and E, its obvious that B is the better choice with, "many of whom". Not seeing how A is the right answer.

if u go by strict rules u will tend to loose the meaning of the sentence !!
it is the patchwork that's bustling and it is the green fields that surround the San Joaquin Valley town
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 15:51
Initially I picked up answer as B, however later realized the error with surround/surrounds.

But coming to OA option "A", "Them" refers to Farmers or Green Farm? It is not very clear and hence kept option "A" out of radar.

Can some one please explain
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Premium Member
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 03:48
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:

(A) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of them
(B) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of whom are
(C) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many of who are
(D) surround the San Joaquin Valley town bustle with farm workers, many of which
(E) surrounds the San Joaquin Valley town bustles with farm workers, many are

Detail explanations are welcome.

My answer to the above is Option B : Can someone please confirm what should be the subject as per my understanding Patchwork must be the subject ... but looking at the OA it is confirmed that it actually Green fields that is being discussed.

Please help !!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 08:09
How can that refer to "of green fields" which is a clause, it has to refer to Patchwork from where B has to be the answer. Please expert opinion needed.
Please correct me if my understanding is wrong
Re: In good years, the patchwork of green fields that surround   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 08:09