Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2016, 22:18
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 19:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:54) correct 30% (00:42) wrong based on 107 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee (Master of Breath), who dwelt in an upper realm in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take away the breath of life.
A. in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take
B. where the sky was the floor, having the power to give and to take
C. whose floor was the sky, and who has the power of giving and of taking
D. in which the sky was the floor, with the power of giving and taking
E. whose floor was the sky, having the power to give and take

[Reveal] Spoiler:
added OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2011
Posts: 298
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 32

Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2012, 19:26
myname85 wrote:
In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee (Master of Breath), who dwelt in an upper realm in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take away the breath of life.
A. in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take
B. where the sky was the floor, having the power to give and to take
C. whose floor was the sky, and who has the power of giving and of taking
D. in which the sky was the floor, with the power of giving and taking
E. whose floor was the sky, having the power to give and take

not sure whether the power to do is more correct or not.


A it is.

Go with parallelism. In the non-underlined part we have "who dwelt" to modify "the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee"

A. in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take -> who || who
B. where the sky was the floor, having the power to give and to take -> Having is def the wrong modifier to use.
C. whose floor was the sky, and who has the power of giving and of taking - WHOSE is modifying realm. Realm itself had the sky as the floor? - No sir. of giving and of taking very awkard.
D. in which the sky was the floor, with the power of giving and taking -> "with the power" is not || to anything.
E. whose floor was the sky, having the power to give and take -> same as B and D!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 375
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 346

Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2016, 13:34
What is the OA? I marked A but want to be sure that this answer is correct! Please help!
_________________

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1138
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 21:20
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Konstantin1983 wrote:
What is the OA? I marked A but want to be sure that this answer is correct! Please help!


B. The present participle modifier having the power... wrongly modifies supreme being rather than Esaugetu Emissee.
C. The present tense has is wrong.... should be simple past had. (The first part of the sentence uses simple past the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee )
D. The prepositional modifier with the power of giving and taking.. is wrong.
E. The present participle modifier having the power to give and take... wrongly modifies supreme being rather than Esaugetu Emissee.


Option A eliminates the errors above and is the correct option.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2015
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 72

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 08:26
sayantanc2k wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:
What is the OA? I marked A but want to be sure that this answer is correct! Please help!


B. The present participle modifier having the power... wrongly modifies supreme being rather than Esaugetu Emissee.
C. The present tense has is wrong.... should be simple past had. (The first part of the sentence uses simple past the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee )
D. The prepositional modifier with the power of giving and taking.. is wrong.
E. The present participle modifier having the power to give and take... wrongly modifies supreme being rather than Esaugetu Emissee.


Option A eliminates the errors above and is the correct option.



pl. explain why the present participle modifier ''having the power..'' modifies the supreme being and not Esaugetu Emissee.

thanks
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 3561
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 581

Kudos [?]: 4660 [1] , given: 321

Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2016, 10:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
In Greek theology, the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee (Master of Breath), who dwelt in an upper realm in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take away the breath of life.

One general point before we delve into SC; It is supposed to be Creek theology named after a tribe in the US and not Greek theology
Now on the question on the comma plus verb +ing modifier (adverbial modifier): it is supposed to modify the subject of the previous clause and the action. This goes by the general norm that a modifier is required to modify the proximate clause. In the light of this norm, let us see what the logically modified stuff in each case is.

A. in which the sky was the floor, and who had the power to give and to take—this is correct because of the use of the use of past tense and structural parallelism of ‘who’ and ‘who’
B. where the sky was the floor, having the power to give and to take --- The previous clause is ‘ where the sky was the floor” and, therefore, having the power modifies the sky and its being the floor. Wrong.
C. whose floor was the sky, and who has the power of giving and of taking --- use of present tense ‘has' is wrong
D. in which the sky was the floor, with the power of giving and taking – The preposition modifier acts like an adverbial modifier and wrongly modifies the sky ‘; In addition, the structure of a preposition + a noun+ ing is wrong grammatically as its modifier is not the actor of giving and taking.
E. whose floor was the sky, having the power to give and take --- same adverbial modifier problem in which having the power is modifying the sky and its being the floor.
_________________

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.
9884544509

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1138
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 04:52
Ashokshiva wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:
What is the OA? I marked A but want to be sure that this answer is correct! Please help!


B. The present participle modifier having the power... wrongly modifies supreme being rather than Esaugetu Emissee.
C. The present tense has is wrong.... should be simple past had. (The first part of the sentence uses simple past the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee )
D. The prepositional modifier with the power of giving and taking.. is wrong.
E. The present participle modifier having the power to give and take... wrongly modifies supreme being rather than Esaugetu Emissee.


Option A eliminates the errors above and is the correct option.



pl. explain why the present participle modifier ''having the power..'' modifies the supreme being and not Esaugetu Emissee.

thanks


A present participle modifier may modify the subject of the previous clause or the entire previous clause. Therefore "having the power" may modify either the subject of the previous clause, " the supreme being", or the entire previous clause, but not the object the previous clause, "Esaugetu Emissee".
Re: In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2016, 04:52
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Originating from the Greek myth reto 3 08 May 2015, 12:54
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee rishi2377 12 21 Sep 2007, 12:18
In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee solidcolor 1 02 Sep 2007, 01:21
SC - Diet of Greeks arjsingh1976 2 05 Dec 2006, 08:24
The Supreme Courts concern with legitimacy is not for the ash82 12 24 Sep 2006, 11:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In Greek theology the supreme being was Esaugetu Emissee

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.