Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 08:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

80% (02:04) correct 20% (00:48) wrong based on 15 sessions
In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German archaeologist Schliemann cut through Troy and uncovered a civilization a thousand years older as was the city Homer’s heroes knew.

(A) older as was the city Homer’s heroes knew
(B) more ancient than the city known to Homer’s heroes --
(C) older than was the city known to Homer’s heroes x
(D) more ancient of a city than Homer’s heroes knew
(E) older of a city than was the one known to Homer’s heroes
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 08:11
C it is...i think we need to use older...and C is the one that at least makes sense of the entire sentence...
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2005, 03:07
C sounds most natural. Years older....is the correct flow.
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 175

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 17:30
anirban16 wrote:
In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German archaeologist Schliemann cut through Troy and uncovered a civilization a thousand years older as was the city Homer’s heroes knew.

(A) older as was the city Homer’s heroes knew
(B) more ancient than the city known to Homer’s heroes --
(C) older than was the city known to Homer’s heroes x
(D) more ancient of a city than Homer’s heroes knew
(E) older of a city than was the one known to Homer’s heroes

What's the OA guys? I also thought (C) but i've seen some different comment suggesting (A) in other threads
Please clarify

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 1168 [1] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Let us go through this simple logic. Here is a comparison question and the template idiom is “X’ older than Y”. This is the parallel set up, we need to keep up; Here X is the civilization( meaning city) and Y is city; You will find B holds good as per this tenet

A. older as was the city Homer’s heroes knew – straight out due to faulty idiom older ……as

B. more ancient than the city known to Homer’s heroes --------best

C. older than was the city known to Homer’s heroes--- older than was---an unnecessary intrusion of “was’

D .more ancient of a city than Homer’s heroes knew --- more ancient of a city – wrong idiom

E. older of a city than was the one known to Homer’s heroes --- same as C

I feel the use of “older or more ancient: is a non-issue in the context and deliberate attempt to hoodwink. In a way, older somehow has a connotation of getting physically aged that happens mostly in animates; by alluding to antiquity, ancience is a better term I feel
Re: In his eagerness to find a city worthy of Priam, the German   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2013, 07:20