Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2015, 09:24
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 12:34
D. 15 seconds

A and B take out the of X
C. of which contributing X
E. Their X

Allen760 wrote:
In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of each planet in the solar system results from the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and of all the other planets, each contributing according to their mass and distance from the others.

A. of all the other planets, each contributing according to their
B. of all the other planets, with each of them contributing according to their
C. all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its
D. all the other planets, each contributing according to its
E. all the other planets, each of which contribute according to their

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 7

Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 17:39
Each is singular. So down to D and C. "of which" is redundant. Hence D remains.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 04:35
A, B and E are wrong because antecedent of "their" is sigular....

between C and D... C is wrong because dangling modifier...

D should be the answer

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 06:26
IMO-D,
In D with "each" , "its" is the correct usage in place of their.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 12:49
its should refer to planets ,which is wrong .so correct ans should not be D .PLS I M CONFUSED BETWEEN E & D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 523

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2014, 21:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2014, 23:32
raj0774 wrote:
its should refer to planets ,which is wrong .so correct ans should not be D .PLS I M CONFUSED BETWEEN E & D

Hi Raj

'its' is referring to 'each' and not 'planets'

Let's look at the sentence:

In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the motion of each planet in the solar system results from the combined gravitational pull of the Sun and of all the other planets, each contributing according to their mass and distance from the others.

their (plural ) can't be paired with each (singular) and thus, A, B, and E can be eliminated.

A. of all the other planets, each contributing according to their- wrong pronoun
B. of all the other planets, with each of them contributing according to their- wrong pronoun
E. all the other planets, each of which contribute according to their- wrong pronoun

We are down to two now

C. all the other planets, each of which contributing according to its

Use of 'each of which' is imprecise here. 'each of which' like 'which' requires a verb after that. As there is no verb after 'each of which', the construction is imprecise.

Correct use of 'each of which' -
select any two answer choices, each of which can be used to complete the sentence.
I have bought several books, each of which is based on a different theme.

D. all the other planets, each contributing according to its

Answer D

Hope it helps!
Dolly :)

PythaGURUS Education

TOP MBA Admissions Consulting and GMAT Preparation
Our MBA Admissions Consulting Services
Want to assess your candidature? Fill in a Free Applicant Review Form
Our Success Stories
Facebook Twitter LinkedIN Google+

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 18

Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2014, 00:29
Expert's post
Yes, "their" is wrong because it doesn't agree with "each."

You can't say "each of which contributing." Adding "of which" makes "each" into a subject which would then need the verb "contributes."

In D, "each contributing" serves as a modifier--"each" doesn't serve as a subject.

Compare these:

The lobby was full of aspiring actors, each dreaming of landing a big role.
The lobby was full of aspiring actors, each of whom dreamed of landing a big role.

Those both work. What we wouldn't want to say is this:

The lobby was full of aspiring actors, each of whom dreaming of landing a big role.

Hopefully, that sounds awful to you! The sentence we're dealing with here works in the same way.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2015, 10:46
DmitryFarber wrote:
Yes, "their" is wrong because it doesn't agree with "each."

You can't say "each of which contributing." Adding "of which" makes "each" into a subject which would then need the verb "contributes."

In D, "each contributing" serves as a modifier--"each" doesn't serve as a subject.

Compare these:

The lobby was full of aspiring actors, each dreaming of landing a big role.
The lobby was full of aspiring actors, each of whom dreamed of landing a big role.

Those both work. What we wouldn't want to say is this:

The lobby was full of aspiring actors, each of whom dreaming of landing a big role.

Hopefully, that sounds awful to you! The sentence we're dealing with here works in the same way.

Hi Dmitry,

Can you shed some more light on "each of which" and "each of whom" constructions from a grammatical standpoint.
I mean I couldn't grasp how each of whom/each of which can act as a subject , while a singular each can't. :?

Thanks,
SR
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 170

Kudos [?]: 403 [1] , given: 18

Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2015, 12:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It's not that a solitary "each" can't serve as a subject--it's that it doesn't have to. The word "each" can serve as either a pronoun or a modifier (adjective/adverb).

Pronoun: Each one of these paintings is worth a million dollars.
Modifier: There are three bedrooms, each with its own bathroom.

However, we can also use "each" as a pronoun in a modifying clause. In this case, we use "of which/of whom" to signal that we are building such a clause.

He ordered several different dishes, each of which could have served as a meal in its own right.

Here, "each" is the subject and "could" is the main verb. We typically do this to express something more complicated than we could in a normal modifier. Notice that because we have a complex set of verbs ("could have served"), it would be hard to express this without a full clause. If we said "each serving as a meal in its own right," that would change the intended meaning (each dish actually is a meal).

I hope that helps!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2015, 20:55
DmitryFarber wrote:
It's not that a solitary "each" can't serve as a subject--it's that it doesn't have to. The word "each" can serve as either a pronoun or a modifier (adjective/adverb).

Pronoun: Each one of these paintings is worth a million dollars.
Modifier: There are three bedrooms, each with its own bathroom.

However, we can also use "each" as a pronoun in a modifying clause. In this case, we use "of which/of whom" to signal that we are building such a clause.

He ordered several different dishes, each of which could have served as a meal in its own right.

Here, "each" is the subject and "could" is the main verb. We typically do this to express something more complicated than we could in a normal modifier. Notice that because we have a complex set of verbs ("could have served"), it would be hard to express this without a full clause. If we said "each serving as a meal in its own right," that would change the intended meaning (each dish actually is a meal).

I hope that helps!

Great explanation Dmitry ! :)

Thanks ! now I got it.
Re: In his experiments with gravity, Isaac Newton showed how the   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2015, 20:55

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ]