Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In his most recent speech, my opponent, Governor Smith,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

In his most recent speech, my opponent, Governor Smith, [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2004, 19:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
In his most recent speech, my opponent, Governor Smith, accused me of having distorted the facts, misrepresenting his own positions, suppressing information, and deliberately lying to the people.

Which of the following possible responses by this speaker would be LEAST relevant to his dispute with Governor Smith?
A) Governor Smith would not have begun to smear me if he did not sense that his own campaign was in serious trouble
B) Governor Smith apparently misunderstood my characterization of his position, so I will attemp to state more clearly my understanding of it
C) At the time I made those remarks, certain key facts were not available, but new information uncovered by my staff does support the position I took at that time
D) I can only wish Governor Smith had specified those points he considered to be lies so that I could have responded to them now
E) With regard to the allegedly distorted facts, the source of my information is a Department of Transportation publication entitled "Safe Driving"

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2004, 20:20
I will also go by A.

It does not matter to know what led Governor Smith to make the accusations. I believe that the speaker should be more concerned with the accusations made and how he can refute them. Based on this line of thinking, I think A is least relevant.

A 750 aspirant.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2004, 05:04
I will go with C here ( I may be crazy )

At that time whatever the speaker told could not have been justifiable because key factors were not available. Hence governor accued him. In order to make a solid point the speaker should not bring in this point because the governor could come out say well I didnt know the facts either and you also claim that you didnt know the facts as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2004, 06:20
I think C

C is LEAST relevant because the Governor accused him that the speaker had MISREPRESENTED the GOVERNOR"S position. So in order to respond to him, he must say that he did not misrepresent but that It was his genuine IDEA or POSITION.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2004, 08:11
Hmm,

A is getting popular. Aspire's explanation sounds good.

Anand.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2004, 18:09
OA: A. Nice explanation Aspire. Yes, this is an LSAT question
The question stem asks us to focus on the "dispute" between the two opponents. What will be relevant to it will be those items that affect the merits of the issues or perhaps those that affect the credibility of the parties. Choice C and E both mention items -- facts and their source -- that would be relevant to the substantive issues. Choices B and D are legitimate attempts to clarify the issues and so are relevant. Choice A is neither relevant to the issues nor to the credibility (eg where did the facts come from) of the debaters. Choice A is the least relevant because it is an ad hominem attack of the illegitimate sort

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2004, 18:23
Hi Paul,

Let me know what you chose. I chose A first and then since u posted the CR I changed my mind. I would like to know what you chose.

Anand.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: CR: Dispute [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2004, 18:35
Paul wrote:
In his most recent speech, my opponent, Governor Smith, accused me of having distorted the facts, misrepresenting his own positions, suppressing information, and deliberately lying to the people.

Which of the following possible responses by this speaker would be LEAST relevant to his dispute with Governor Smith?
A) Governor Smith would not have begun to smear me if he did not sense that his own campaign was in serious trouble
B) Governor Smith apparently misunderstood my characterization of his position, so I will attemp to state more clearly my understanding of it
C) At the time I made those remarks, certain key facts were not available, but new information uncovered by my staff does support the position I took at that time
D) I can only wish Governor Smith had specified those points he considered to be lies so that I could have responded to them now
E) With regard to the allegedly distorted facts, the source of my information is a Department of Transportation publication entitled "Safe Driving"

Hey Anandnk. I chose A. Each of the above claims do respond or attempt to clarify one of the issues at hand. However, A seems like a personal attack which will not solve the problem at hand. I did hesitate between A and C though but since A was a unwarranted personal attack, I picked it. Sorry I had to edit my explanation.

Best Regards,

Paul

Re: CR: Dispute   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2004, 18:35